Craft Aircraft

Old April 8th 04, 08:44 PM
Ray

Default Craft Aircraft

In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

Old April 8th 04, 09:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ray" wrote in message

In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could

you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

It's not "craft", it's CRAF, Civil Reserve Air Fleet.

Old April 8th 04, 09:12 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Ray" wrote in message
In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could

you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet), not "craft", which is something the wife
does with her school kiddies. :-) Yep, it is still in effect--do a Google
search on the term and you'll find a fair amount of info on the web. I don't
think you need to "do" anything, per se, to 747's to make them capable of
inclusion in the CRAF fleet--CRAF has need for both freight and passenger
haulers (IIRC the majority of CRAF needs during ODS were for the latter
category). ISTR when the original CRAF program began, it required
strengthened floor assemblies, etc., to ensure capability of handling
cargo/palletized loads, but I don't think that is any longer the case, given
the availability of dedicated freighter and combi-type aircraft in the civil
fleet.

Brooks

Old April 8th 04, 10:03 PM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Ray"
confessed the following:

In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

CRAF...Civil Reserve Air Fleet...still is use today. The gov't tries
to "share the wealth" or "share the pain," depending upon your point
of view.

Juvat

Old April 8th 04, 10:45 PM
Tex Houston

"Ray" wrote in message
In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could

you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

The correct term is CRAF, see http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/craf.htm
or search Google for "CRAF".

Regards,

Tex Houston

Old April 9th 04, 02:34 AM
sid

"Tex Houston" wrote in message ...
"Ray" wrote in message
In the past ,our goverment paid to support craft aircraft {The project to
have airlines support airlift }Is this system still in effect.what could

you
do to a 747 to make it meet the system. Just wondering. Ray

The correct term is CRAF, see http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/craf.htm
or search Google for "CRAF".

Regards,

Tex Houston

Lots of airliners are flying to and from such garden spots as Bishkek
as we speak. CRAF is not implemented right now, mainly for political
purposes. The AMC is putting the missions out for bid instead.
In a nutshell, not implementing CRAF allows the airlines to decline
REACH missions if they wish and use the aircraft and crews for their
scheduled service. This is important to them because the widebody
passenger fleets and crews are pared to the bone even though
international travel is beginning to grow again. If CRAF were
implemented, the airlines would have to obligate aircraft and crews
exclusively to AMC. I know of one airline that is already having crew
time issues (its not even half a year yet) for a widebody type and
they have had to decline bidding on some missions, and downgauge
equipment on some others.