A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

First Glider Purchase

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 21st 06, 01:58 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Sep 2006
Send a message via AIM to brian d Send a message via Yahoo to brian d
Smile First Glider Purchase

Hello Pundits,

Now that I am retired I have decided to live a little before its to late....no more I will do X Y and Z NEXT YEAR. I first went solo in a glider at the Midland Gliding club in 1976 and then solo on power the same year. Power flying quickly lost its attraction and I didnt complete my licence but my first love was always gliding .
I have not done any gliding for a number of years and intend buying my first glider in the next few months....the question is which one....and whether or not to go for outright ownership or a syndicate machine.

My shortlist is now as follows: Max budget £35K

FIRST CHOICE ASW22 I am told that the best version is the BL. I would welcome any other opinions as to whether this is true or not !! all though the thought of a field landing in something with this much span is off putting £10k for a fifth share in a syndicate that only flew 80 hours last year is attractive.
I should add that I personally DONT WANT TO FLY AT WEEKENDS. so I am quite marketable myself.
I of course accept that I will not be a good enough pilot to jump straight into something with an LD of 60/1 and a 22/24 Metre span after a weekends refresher at Church Stretton.
The plan would be to do an intensive 2 week tailor made course in the UK ( SUGGESTIONS AS TO EXACTLY WHERE ARE ALSO WELCOME) and then have six weeks.... or more if advised... at somewhere like Fuentemilanos in Spain where i understand I might get 30 hours flying EVERY week if I book in May/June next year !!
It might be that even this level of intensive instruction and practice wouldnt be enough and I hope that at 58 years old I2 am mature enough to get into an ASW22 when I am ready as opposed to when I am the only one that thinks I am ready.

SECOND CHOICE

A quarter share in a STEMME ST V10

Probably the easiest option with all the advantages of long distance " go look and see" soaring, self launching independance, virtually guaranteed SAFE engine restarts and near certain back to base return trips home at the end of a day thats as long as you want it to be...only disadvantage iffy ground handling.

THIRD CHOICE

A LAK 12

For outright ownership...lots of bang for the buck ! cheap to buy, very strong a great long distance tourer although not a competition machine ; the main disadvantage appears to be that the single piece wings weigh in at 240llbs each and the trailer is as long as a bowling alley.
Despite being cheap the preparation to fly it would follow the same plan as the ASW22, two weeks in England and 4/6 weeks in Spain.

FOURTH CHOICE

ASW 20L
For outright ownership.
this would keep everything nice and simple....which is probably why its the last on my list.

Well you will all be pleased to know that I have come to the end of my first post...any helpfull opinions would be much appreciated.

Regards brian d