Bonus Jet glider demo weekend

Old April 24th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Bonus Jet glider demo weekend

This weekend Bob Carlton brought his Bonus Jet glider to Phoenix for
Arizona Soaring Association members to demo and presented a fine
PowerPoint / video presentation after our BBQ dinner at Turf Soaring.
What a great time we all had. The weather cooperated, and although it
was a tad windy, there were abundant thermals, allowing more than a
dozen pilots to enjoy the smooth vibration free jet launch and about
45 minutes of airtime each. The whole deal was very professionally
done. Bob started with giving each pilot a thorough preflight
introduction to the glider and its panel and controls. Once the engine
is spooled up, Bob handled the takeoff, into a 1071 ft / minute
initial climb (accurately measured by Andy Durbin, one of our members,
with his EW electronic barograph), throttled back to 75% and turned
the stick over to the demo pilot in the front seat for the rest of the
flight, until landing. As soon as the demo pilot was comfortable with
a thermal the jet was turned off and retracted (a really slick
automatic system that requires nothing more from the pilot after
initiating). On my flight we consumed 2 gallons of JP-4 from start-
up, takeoff, climb to hitting a thermal, to shutting the engine down
and stowing it. Every pilot commented what a superb bit of
engineering the engine and its extraction / retraction set up is, how
enjoyable their flights were, and how interesting the evening
presentation was. Bob is a professional airshow pilot, currently
performing aerobatics with his SuperSalto jet glider at airshows
around the world with his company Vertigo Airshows. His wife, Laurie,
who is chief crewperson, was along, helping immensely with
everything. Much like NASCAR racing, having a superior crew is
paramount to being winner, and Laurie fits the bill. While hoping to
sell a few BonusJets, Bob is also looking into fitting the jets into
other gliders, with a JS-1 in progress right now. Piston engines are
complex and vibrate a lot, especially 2 cycle engines, and jets are
incredibly smooth, vibration free, and simple. I look forward to
seeing a lot more of them in self-launch gliders in the future, and
Bob is the man who will be at the vanguard of that movement. If any
other clubs out there take the opportunity to have Bob visit with his
BonusJet, any members who miss the event will really be missing out!
And, anyone out there with a fatter bank account than mine will find
the purchase of a jet glider will put them into the future of self
launching gliders (at least where noise is not a problem).

19
Old April 25th 11, 12:06 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
[...]

Can this jet start up on its own? Does it require ground equipment to start? Can it do an air start?

Thank you,

Walt
Old April 25th 11, 12:29 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Never mind, I googled it and answered my own questions. AWESOME. Smoothness and dependability of a jet, no waiting for a tow. Who could ask for more? Wonder how much JP is going for these days.
Old April 25th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

here's a link to a Bonus jet Launch at Turf Soaring

http://www.youtube.com/user/pcordell.../0/p49KHX4ksKw

Old April 25th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

--
Walt Connelly

The jet has a starter/generator so has self contained start and in air
start no problem. About 15 seconds for extension and then a few more
for it to spool up and light off. There are only three engine
controls - the throttle, extend/retract switch, and run/stop switch.

If it was to do into production I'd like to see a single throttle
lever do everything much like the Antares. The control electronics
are almost to the point that it could be done now, but it would need a
revised throttle control with a retract/extend detent.

Andy

Old April 25th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

wrote:
Bob;770192 Wrote:

[...]

Walt Connelly- Hide quoted text -

Yes, No, yes.

The jet is totally self contained. Flip a switch and the engine comes
out. Flip on the master and then the run switch and it spools up.
From there, after checking engine instruments, push the throttle and
GO! Full power climb is over 1000' / min, but after about 300 ' above
the grounde we throttled back to about 75% for 600' / min for smooth
climb to thermals. Back to idle when the pilot is comfortable the
thermal is good. Flip "off" switch and automatically the engine slows
down, shuts down, cools for 2 minutes, and retracts back into the
glider body. Pilot can spend his time thermalling all the time, as
the whole sequence is automatic. Anytime in the air, just go thru the
start proceedure and you have a powerful jet at your disposal once
again. The BonusJet carries,I beleive either 24 or 28 gallons of
fuel, good for about an hour at cruise. TBO is currently 300 hours,
with certification to move up to way more as testing proceeds. I'd
expect probably 2000 hours within a year.

It appears any glider that can hold a "traditional" engine and prop
could handle this jet setup. And, the whole thing, including brackets
weighs in at only about 50 lbs. Can be removed in about 10 minutes.
Amazingly simple setup, well engineered system. An exhaust "spltter"
keeps the temperature down on the tail.

Old April 25th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/24/2011 4:38 PM, Paul Cordell wrote:

here's a link to a Bonus jet Launch at Turf Soaring

http://www.youtube.com/user/pcordell.../0/p49KHX4ksKw

I noticed Laurie was wearing ear protectors, and a bystander had his
fingers in his ears, so I'm guessing this is much louder and/or more
annoying than the usual DG400 or DG800.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me
Old April 25th 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Apr 24, 7:54*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/24/2011 4:38 PM, Paul Cordell wrote:

here's a link to a Bonus jet Launch at Turf Soaring

http://www.youtube.com/user/pcordell.../0/p49KHX4ksKw

I noticed Laurie was wearing ear protectors, and a bystander had his
fingers in his ears, so I'm guessing this is much louder and/or more
annoying than the usual DG400 or DG800.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me

Yes and no. It is very loud for a couple hundred yards as it has
passes you, then a far duller roar as it really gets moving and
farther away. Ear protectors are just common sense for anyone close
to any noises, whether it be a saw, DG400, Pawnee, or BonusJet. I
held my ears as they are noise sensative anyway (my 1/1/2 year old
grandson's screeches make my ears ring worse).

Ceertainly, noisewise, the Antares, Tarus, etc are FAR less annoying
with their electric power... just prop noise.

Old April 25th 11, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 24, 7:43*pm, Bob wrote:
/snip/
The jet is totally self contained. *Flip a switch and the engine comes
out. *Flip on the master and then the run switch and it spools up.
From there, after checking engine instruments, push the throttle and
[...]

What does the take-off ground roll or 50' numbers look like?

Thanks

Darryl
Old April 25th 11, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Apr 24, 9:43*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:43*pm, Bob wrote:
/snip/

The jet is totally self contained. *Flip a switch and the engine comes
out. *Flip on the master and then the run switch and it spools up.
From there, after checking engine instruments, push the throttle and
[...]

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

On the gravel strip at Turf the roll was slow for the first few feet,
then accelerated well. Seemed to be off the ground in about 700-800',
held in ground effect for another few hundred, gaining airspeed, then
pulled up into 1000 ft/min climb for a few hundred feet, throttle back
to 75% and around 600 ft/min climb. I suspect 50' numbers would be
around 900-1000' with the glider firmly in 1000 ft/min climb at that
point.