Bonus Jet glider demo weekend

Old April 26th 11, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

Default Bonus Jet glider demo weekend

I think a turbo prop would be ideal for smoothness and better fuel
efficiency. I don't guess a small light turbine powered prop has been
developed.
Old April 26th 11, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Apr 25, 9:50*pm, Mark Jardini wrote:
I think a turbo prop would be ideal for smoothness and better fuel
efficiency. I don't guess a small light turbine powered prop has been
developed.

The model airplane guys have developed working turboprop engines
though possibly not at the scale we need.

The little turbojets have many advantages starting with their
simplicity, small size and low residual weight after the fuel is
gone. Adding a prop adds complexity and weight of a gearbox while
reducing the "self-retrieval" speed.
Old April 26th 11, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 25, 8:50*pm, Mark Jardini wrote:
I think a turbo prop would be ideal for smoothness and better fuel
efficiency. I don't guess a small light turbine powered prop has been
developed.

Ah I don't thinks so. The gear reduction, drive and prop retract and/
or folding mechanisms and need for a belt or high mounted jet engine
are all likely horrible complications. The sorts of current
motorglider complications we want to get away from.

BTW there are small jet turboptops in use for models etc. (e.g.
http://www.jetcatusa.com/spt5.html).

Darryl
Old April 26th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/25/2011 8:50 PM, Mark Jardini wrote:
I think a turbo prop would be ideal for smoothness and better fuel
efficiency. I don't guess a small light turbine powered prop has been
developed.

The company that makes the turbine used on the BonusJet makes a
turboprop version.

email me)
Old April 26th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Is there any danger to the vertical stabilizer from the exhaust heat?
I asked this of the owner of the Silent jet and they said that the
skin temperatures were "within tolerances". Hmmmm.

I just worry that given enough time the heat may affect the structure
of the tail (glass? carbon fiber?) with the potential of loosing the
tail. While I might be able to live with loosing a rudder, loosing
the elevator is a whole other matter. If this was a conventional
tail, rather than a T tail, there would be an additional safety
factor. Are there other aircraft with a configuration like this? All
I can think of are private, commercial or military jets in which
engine heat is definately not directed against an airframe member.

I believe that safety dictates adding a metal heat shield formed to
the shape of the vertical stab. This would include a thin air gap
(glued on non-metallic blocks) so no heat would transfer. Pretty
simple to create and install. This wouldn't decrease the performance
of the glider to any great degree (or any at all?) as the vertical fin
is a non-lifting surface (might affect rudder performance?) - - but
would greatly increase my comfort level.

I can hear those infamous last words now, "Don't worry, we've never
had a problem." ;-)

John "My $0.02 of Safety" DeRosa
Old April 26th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

On Apr 26, 9:57 am, ContestID67 wrote:
I just worry that given enough time the heat may affect the structure
of the tail (glass? carbon fiber?) with the potential of loosing the
tail. While I might be able to live with loosing a rudder, loosing
the elevator is a whole other matter.

If you were losing the tail, rudder or elavator, it'd be a problem.
Loosing it, though, it'll probably just rattle...

-John
Old April 26th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

The BonusJet's fuselage was post cured at the TsT factory to 200
degrees F. Data from the engine manufacturer PBS show the radiant heat
at various distances from the exhaust. Using the data, Bob determined
that an exhaust splitter would be necessary. PBS manufactured a
special exhaust that split the heat plume 6 degrees per side (12
degrees total). Subsequent testing with the engine at full throttle on
a 95 degree F day, using heat sensitive tape labels on the vertical
and horizontal surfaces showed a maximum temperature of 145 degrees F,
well below the 200 degrees that would subject the tail to deformation
and/or damage.

BTW, the poster that was concerned about a "bomb" on board undoubtedly
rides his bicycle or walks to the airfield if he is concerned about
travelling in a vehicle that actually carries (gasp) fuel on board.
Like every vehicle on the road. And the aircraft that tows him up.
Old April 26th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_2_]

At 14:23 26 April 2011, jcarlyle wrote:
On Apr 26, 9:57 am, ContestID67 wrote:
I just worry that given enough time the heat may affect the structure
of the tail (glass? carbon fiber?) with the potential of loosing the
tail. While I might be able to live with loosing a rudder, loosing
the elevator is a whole other matter.

If you were losing the tail, rudder or elavator, it'd be a problem.
Loosing it, though, it'll probably just rattle...

-John

I believe that Bob has that data on his website mentioned earlier but I
remember that it reached a max of 140 degrees in testing and his glider
was post cured to past 200 so should not be a factor, also it mainly seems
to hit the tail much lower than the horisontal stab and didn't effect the
controlability at all.

In fact I enjoyed the flight soooo much that if I hit the lottery tomorrow
Id have Bob working on putting one in a New Duo disci tomorrow! I truley
felt that the reliability, power and simplicity made this a nobrainer! For
most of us, we would be taking off once in the morning and flying most of
the day landing back at night without power. This would limit the noise
factor at your local or private airport. Doing Touch and go's probably
wouldn't make friends but once a day should not be much of an issue. I
took off my headset while under full power and again at reduced power and,
from inside, its a lot less noisy than I imagined and way less than a
mooney or cessna.

Now if I could only put one in my Ventus B for less than the airplane was
worth

CH

Old April 26th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dr. John

I can't wait to hear about the JS-1 turbine installation. Once again
I dream of a lottery winning that would precipitate a quick order to
Jonkers and a delivery to Bob Carlton for a Turbine upgrade. Or would
it be a Duo discus XLT without the lawn mower engine. I guess the
Bonus sailplane would be fine although I would not consider it my
dream ship. Having the TBO raised from 300 hours to 2000 hours
really gives strength to the quality and capability of these turbine
engines. I wonder what the risk of a engine bird strike might be?
Since I have yet to hit any bids, it is probably pretty low. Congrats
Bob on being a trailblazer in a time of economic depression with a
weak currency. I wonder if there has been any interest from over
seas. Cheap dollars make our products a deal in Europe. I guess my
only hope now is that Bob sells a bunch of Turbines which might make
them available on the used market in 20 years at price my wife might
think is not completely insane. Something about a toy airplane
costing more than our house sours the discussion of my dream ships.
John Ackerson
Old April 26th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

why wait .....the 304S Jet is being built and delivered now with a proven
turbine sustainer. HpH is well ahead of the game now years ago went through
the testing similar smaller turbine engines that most other manufacturers
are just now testing only to move on...there's one here now and will very
soon be (in the next 30-60 days) be two more 304S Jets flying in the US
alone ...there are now something around 25 304S sailplanes sold.
tim

signature database 6072 (20110426) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6072 (20110426) __________