GNS 480 means no GNS 430 upgrade ?

Old September 2nd 04, 07:26 AM
Scott Moore

Default GNS 480 means no GNS 430 upgrade ?

Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the 430)
spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.
Old September 2nd 04, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Scott,

Does anyone know if the advent of the GNS 480 (WAAS capable version of the 430)
spells the end of the possibility to upgrade a 430 ?

Why should it? The 480 is NOT a WAAS-capable version of the 430, it is the CNX-80
bought from UPSAT.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 2nd 04, 12:36 PM
Dave S

The 480 is NOT a version of the 430. It was an independently developed
platform made by the company formerly known as Appollo, now formerly
known as UPS Aviation Technologies, and then sold to Garmin.

If anything, I would expect the 430/530 line to get preferential
treatment over the 480 line, since the former was Garmin's to begin
with, and not an aquisition like the latter.

Dave

Old September 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
Mike Rapoport

No, there will be an upgrade. In addition to WAAS, a faster processor
allows more features (better Wx, airways), which gives them more things to
sell us.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Maik

better wx would be nice, at least in our area (northern Germany), but I
don't think that this will depend on the faster processor.
And also airways are just a rumor and I don't believe in rumors.

here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
-----------------------snip------------------------------------------
The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
quarter 2005. It will involve replacing the motherboard,
microprocessor, GPS engine, and GPS antenna. Basically you will be
getting an entirely new unit, minus the outside hardware. The cost of
$1,500 is for parts, labor, and re-certification of the unit. I
apologize if you were informed that the upgrade would only involve a
software change at no cost.

We will also be upgrading the 500 series units with both certified
TAWS-B ($7,995) and uncertified terrain awareness ($500) by the end of
2004. This will involve the unit coming back to the factory for the
upgrade.
-------------snap---------------

no weather, no airways, but a lot of money and again LATER. first time
Garmin talked about a release date for Waas it should come in 2002.
I think Garmin is at least regading the 400/500 series more like Atari
in the past.

They always wrote in there letters about the new computer "really soon
now" and this over years...

I think if you really need Waas I would switch to the new GNS480 aka
CNX-80. Newer design, airways and a faster processor :-)

Maik

Old September 2nd 04, 10:09 PM
Dave Butler

Maik wrote:

here is a part of an email from garmin regarding the 430/530 series.
-----------------------snip------------------------------------------
The WAAS upgrade for the 400/500 series units should take place second
quarter 2005.

This is on-the-record information from Garmin? That's the first time I've seen
the 2Q2005 date. Their press-release announced 4Q2004. I don't see anything on
Garmin's web site to indicate the date has changed. In fact, the June 2003 press
release giving the 4Q2004 date is still on their website:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html

"Garmin is committed to offering WAAS upgrades for the 400/500 series and plans
to provide the benefits of WAAS on these products for less than $1,500 by the
end of 2004. This upgrade must also be completed at Garmin's overhaul facilities
in the U.S. and U.K."

Would you mind sharing the source and context of the above quoted email?

Old September 3rd 04, 01:54 AM
Mike Rapoport

There will be a better Wx solution coming after WAAS and the processor
upgrade will enable airways (don't actually know if airways will be part of
the upgrade).

Mike
MU-2

Old September 3rd 04, 07:57 AM
Thomas Borchert

Maik,

better wx would be nice,

Any weather at all would be nice, for Europe.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 3rd 04, 08:50 AM
Maik

yes, wxworx via xmradio. another box for extra money and not available
in europe... well available, but not useful I meant.

but no weather thingy included in the 400/500.
also in my opinion the display of the 400/500 is not really good for
weather info. not enough colors!

maik

Old September 3rd 04, 08:52 AM
Maik

you will think of me, when they declare the later date.

it was a snip from an employee from Garmin.
ask them by yourself.

maik