GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - ISSUE JANUARY 2020

Old January 13th 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johnhamish[_2_]

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - ISSUE JANUARY 2020

For all those that have emailed us about the January/February issue, we would apologise for the late despatch. We have been besieged with computer problems and with the Christmas holidays down here (when everybody goes on holiday) getting the support we needed has been a trial. Happy to say the January issue goes in the mail tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it - We are about to enter our 15th year of publication.

1. We bring you up to date on the French development of their two seat glider, the
Euro-Glider. It is a totally new self-launching concept that certainly has some merit.

2. The Ultra-Light gliding movement is experiencing an upgrade in activity and in numbers being sold and flown. It is gathering some pace within enthusiasts who just want to fly and who by-pass competitions. Even so, they do have competitions within their own sphere. An interesting review!

3. The first passenger aircraft has flown using electric motors. (750 hp). They do have a future and with the number of electric gliders now leaving factories, we can expect self–launching activity to multiply many times.

4. We repeat the history story of one of the first gliders to be flown across the English Channel. First published in the late twenties. Fascinating!

5. We have covered the history of the German Horten brothers on previous occasions. They were the duo involved in the development of flying wings. Their design has been duplicated by a metal copy about to fly early 2020.

6. Did you know that there is a ridge over 550 klm long in Brazil. A second record has just been flown on it by a Brazilian flying an ASH30. Impressive!

7. A correspondent in the insurance field writes to let us all know that we are going to be faced with major (repeat major) increases in aviation premiums.

8. We continue to cover gliding accidents. More fatalities we regret to say!

9. And it had to happen. A new sailplane simulator is now being used to train and retrain glider pilots in Germany (on the Wasserkuppe) but this one is mounted on an three fold axis that provides total motion reality. The first one is now fully booked for most of 2020, with the German Airforce taking a big slice of the available time. Thinking of buying/building a simulator for your club. Stand by until you read this.

10. And Peter Ryder, former I.G.C. president (1990 to 1999) suggests that the time is overdue to consider major changes to scoring methods at our competitions. His three page long article highlights the failure and inadequacies of what we have been using as the accepted norm. This will create some debate!

This plus our normal coverage on the world gliding scene. New subscribers welcome!
Old January 13th 20, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

9. And it had to happen. A new sailplane simulator is now being used to train and retrain glider pilots in Germany (on the Wasserkuppe) but this one is mounted on an three fold axis that provides total motion reality. The first one is now fully booked for most of 2020, with the German Airforce taking a big slice of the available time. Thinking of buying/building a simulator for your club. Stand by until you read this.

And its Condor 2 VR !!

We are pleased.