Ventus 2cxa with FES

Old April 14th 14, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LZ design

Default Ventus 2cxa with FES

Some photos from 1st public presentation of Ventus 2cxa with FES during Aero 2014

https://picasaweb.google.com/1154794...noredirect= 1

Regards,

Luka
Old April 14th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Well, that answers the question of how to fit the FES to a glider with a non-circular nose section, like the Discus and Ventus!

I wonder who the intended buyer is, though. Avid racers won't like the extra drag and those attracted to self-launchers won't have enough power. Are there enough folks like me who fly a fair amount of cross-country and who like the idea of a reliable sustainer?

Mike
Old April 14th 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Monday, April 14, 2014 5:04:28 PM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
Well, that answers the question of how to fit the FES to a glider with a non-circular nose section, like the Discus and Ventus!

I wonder who the intended buyer is, though. Avid racers won't like the extra drag and those attracted to self-launchers won't have enough power. Are there enough folks like me who fly a fair amount of cross-country and who like the idea of a reliable sustainer?

Mike

This is a big prop. I wonder if they tried to self launch it. I bet the engine is powerful enough and it is all about battery capacity.
Old April 14th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, April 14, 2014 2:04:28 PM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
Well, that answers the question of how to fit the FES to a glider with a non-circular nose section, like the Discus and Ventus!

I wonder who the intended buyer is, though. Avid racers won't like the extra drag and those attracted to self-launchers won't have enough power. Are there enough folks like me who fly a fair amount of cross-country and who like the idea of a reliable sustainer?

Mike

I would be interested to know if it can be fitted into an ASW27.

Ramy
Old April 14th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I suspect that there's not enough ground clearance to self-launch, but a vehicle launch to modest height plus a climb out on the electric motor might work (some weaker self-launchers use this technique, especially at high density altitudes).

No doubt the developers will let us know!

Mike
Old April 15th 14, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

I wonder if they are using the CG tow hook, or if they have installed a
hook forward of that. I thought that you couldn't have a new glider
with only a CG hook in Europe.

Old April 15th 14, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

From a competition pilot point of view there would have to be a small drag penalty and a weight penalty. But both of those would seem to be pretty small in comparison to the competitive benefit that arises from the ability to stick to the course line and never have to be distracted by the need to deviate towards a landing option. I don't have experience to know, but I'm suspecting that the reliability of the FES might be sufficient that one could drive it straight into the boonies then flip the switch only at the last minute -- wouldn't that be exciting? You certainly can't do that with a gas engine.
Old April 15th 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wolf Aviator[_2_]

At 00:10 15 April 2014, Steve Koerner wrote:
From a competition pilot point of view there would have to be a

small drag
=
penalty and a weight penalty. But both of those would seem

to be pretty
sm=
all in comparison to the competitive benefit that arises from the

ability
t=
o stick to the course line and never have to be distracted by

the need to
d=
eviate towards a landing option. I don't have experience to

know, but I'm
=
suspecting that the reliability of the FES might be sufficient

that one
cou=
ld drive it straight into the boonies then flip the switch only at

the
last=
minute -- wouldn't that be exciting? You certainly can't do

that with a
g=
as engine.

But if you are 100km away from your airfield, especially if you
used your battery for take off, there will be little or no use of
FES.
I like the idea, but sorry, with current Li-ion batteries with max
150Wh/kg, this is not very promising technology. I am waiting for
Li-S, or Li-Air cells, then we can talk seriously about FES.
Regards
Wolf
http://youtu.be/WCej1kZInZk

Old April 15th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

As the saying goes....

"The perfect is the enemy of the good..."

There is no "perfect," but I do believe the FES is a tremendous technical advancement which can really add to one's soaring safety and enjoyment.

I have been very fortunate to own a LAK-17B FES for the past two years and it is truly an outstanding ship with a very reliable sustainer. I do take aero tows, so I get to save every "volt" in the event I need to use the FES for a self retrieve. If it is needed the FES can get me home or at least to an airport and the maximum range of up to 100KM works out just fine. Also, as battery technology improves, new batteries can be installed and the range of the FES will also improve. I can wait for those future battery improvement, but the FES design has been around for five years and IMHO, is a proven design. After over 40 years in soaring, I was not going to wait for the "perfect..."

Now, if one wants a self-launcher the FES is probably not the right choice (unless one wants to go with the FES in a lighter glider like the Silent 2 Electro), but for a sustainer, the FES is truly is an excellent solution!

Now, be safe out there!
Thanks - Renny

On Monday, April 14, 2014 6:26:24 PM UTC-6, Wolf Aviator wrote:
At 00:10 15 April 2014, Steve Koerner wrote:

From a competition pilot point of view there would have to be a

small drag

=

Old April 15th 14, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dne ponedeljek, 14. april 2014 23:13:19 UTC+2 je oseba Andy K napisala:
On Monday, April 14, 2014 5:04:28 PM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:

Well, that answers the question of how to fit the FES to a glider with a non-circular nose section, like the Discus and Ventus!

I wonder who the intended buyer is, though. Avid racers won't like the extra drag and those attracted to self-launchers won't have enough power. Are there enough folks like me who fly a fair amount of cross-country and who like the idea of a reliable sustainer?

Mike

This is a big prop. I wonder if they tried to self launch it. I bet the engine is powerful enough and it is all about battery capacity.

You are right, we made a bigger chord of the blade, in order to load motor more. We expect about 26kW of max power, which will be enough even for selflaunch. Battery compartment is designed in a way so that there will be a possibility to install bigger battery pack, which will allow range of 180km of level flight or altitude gain of 2000m!

AS responds to the latest Ventus 2cxa KevinFinke Soaring 3 March 18th 09 03:45 AM
Ventus 2C W&B - 15M vs 18M [email protected] Soaring 0 March 29th 06 10:20 PM
FS: Ventus C KO Soaring 9 November 5th 05 12:58 AM
FS: Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 16th 04 12:55 AM
FS Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 15th 04 09:10 PM