A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring conditions around the USA this season so far

Old June 3rd 14, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Soaring conditions around the USA this season so far

May 2014 in Vermont was excellent for this year. I managed to fly on seven days. 4/7 days had rare strong lift, high ceilings, and reasonable wind.

Last year June was mostly rain, but maybe the good weather pattern will continue.

I'd be interested to read meteorological retrospection on why the weather was so favorable to soaring in May and the big picture trends to be looking for in the national weather map that would suggest good conditions in June. I know that stationary lows are bad news.

How is the season progressing in the rest of the country?
Old June 3rd 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]
external usenet poster

El Nino?

May be good in Vermont but it's quite miserable in Greece!

On 03/06/2014 15:51, son_of_flubber wrote:
May 2014 in Vermont was excellent for this year. I managed to fly on seven days. 4/7 days had rare strong lift, high ceilings, and reasonable wind.

Last year June was mostly rain, but maybe the good weather pattern will continue.

I'd be interested to read meteorological retrospection on why the weather was so favorable to soaring in May and the big picture trends to be looking for in the national weather map that would suggest good conditions in June. I know that stationary lows are bad news.

Old June 3rd 14, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:51:57 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
May 2014 in Vermont was excellent for this year. I managed to fly on seven days. 4/7 days had rare strong lift, high ceilings, and reasonable wind..

Weather vs. Climate: it doesn't matter a damn what the weather in Vermont has been like. Answers to your question will be all over the map but they are - including what you stated - anecdotes and meaningless. In a country as big as the US you can find any weather you like at pretty much any time.
Old June 3rd 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Here in south east Texas we have had a lot of rain and not all that great soaring conditions. El Nino is setting up and getting stronger and this gives us wetter weather. Good for the farmers and the lake is full, but soaring not so great.

ASW27BV
Old June 3rd 14, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Last week was pretty good in Kansas even with east winds which are usually bad news.
Old June 3rd 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:56:24 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Last week was pretty good in Kansas even with east winds which are usually bad news.

WI has had an excellent spring. Well anything is better than last year :-) A few weeks ago we had three straight days of good flying with bases of 9000'+ MSL on one day. this is practically unheard of here in the soggy Midwest where anything above 4kAGL is a great XC day ;-)

Pete
Old June 3rd 14, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:17:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Weather vs. Climate: it doesn't matter a damn what the weather in Vermont has been like. Answers to your question will be all over the map but they are - including what you stated - anecdotes and meaningless. In a country as big as the US you can find any weather you like at pretty much any time.

Feeling grumpy Herb? I'll take that as an indication of bad soaring weather in your locale.

P.S. Clarification: I counted June 1 and 2 as 2 of my 4 excellent days since May 1.
Old June 4th 14, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:42:49 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:17:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Feeling grumpy Herb? I'll take that as an indication of bad soaring weather in your locale.

P.S. Clarification: I counted June 1 and 2 as 2 of my 4 excellent days since May 1.

Me, grumpy? Not more than usual. Just trying to avoid letting the intellectual level of posts on ras sink to the level of Facebook.
There, bam, now I'm grumpy...
Old June 4th 14, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hmmmm...

Wind here about 20 mph, thermal action- zero; microturbulence about .5%.
Inside the UIUC low speed wind tunnel this week.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba