Affordable Oxygen

Old January 22nd 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Affordable Oxygen

I was given an older MH EDS unit to install in my Phoebus glider which I got for a song and am restoring. The glider has a bracket for the oxygen tank, but no tank is installed. The bottom is a rounded fiberglass cup, and there is a flip bracket to go around the neck. It sits behind the seat pan to the right of the landing gear. The cup measures about 5 1/2" inside diameter, but the felt strip padding inside reduces that somewhat by up to 1/4" or so. The neck bracket is about 16" from where the curve of the bottom cup starts. I THINK (but am not sure) a MH AL647 tank will fit, but it has a flat bottom and I'm not sure how much I far forward I can get the tank in the neck bracket so it will fit, as this tank measures 16 1/2", according the the chart on W&W site. Plus, the tank and a plain regulator will run almost 1/4 the cost of what I paid for the glider. I'm pretty sure I can get a plain D-cylinder to fit, as it is narrower and could fit deeper into the curved cup for the bottom of the tank.

This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank? It would be much more affordable, and easier for me to get one of these style tanks, as I work in the medical field.
Old January 22nd 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 1:26:40 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Many options available at Cramer Decker Medical. I like the low profile CGA-540 fittings.

T8
Old January 22nd 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 10:26:40 AM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank?...

The big reason is that at a lot of places you need a medical prescription to fill what looks like a medical bottle. With a CGA540 you can get a fill at any FBO with O2, or at any welding gas supplier.

Old January 22nd 20, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

John,

The other possible challenge with the O2 mount is that the older steel bottles have a longer neck that the aluminum ones. I ran into that problem in my Libelle and needed to make an extension to the tank to get the neck clamp to work.

Mountain High now offers an extension like the one I made.

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/cyl...r-port-3-4-16/

Mike B.
Old January 22nd 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old January 22nd 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Way, way back 22 cf bottles had a rounded bottom that would fit into the cup.
Old January 22nd 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 1:15:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, there is no physical reason not to use the yoke style regulator other than how it would fit. There are no significant strength differences or how it behaves at altitude that could be more dangerous with the yoke style regulator. Is that right?
Old January 22nd 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Foster wrote on 1/22/2020 1:56 PM:

This has gotten me thinking then: is there any reason one couldn't use a standard "yolk-style" primary regulator for the oxygen tank? It would be much more affordable, and easier for me to get one of these style tanks, as I work in the medical field.

Way, way back 22 cf bottles had a rounded bottom that would fit into the cup.

So if I'm hearing everyone correctly, there is no physical reason not to use the yoke style regulator other than how it would fit. There are no significant strength differences or how it behaves at altitude that could be more dangerous with the yoke style regulator. Is that right?

I used one for years with no problems; after all, the bottle has to control
2000psi, so an ambient variation of 8 psi or so isn't going to affect it. I don't
think cold to 0 deg F is a problem, either, as I'm still here, but the
specifications should state the operating range. No, I don't know where to get them.

Old January 23rd 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 4:56:48 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Don't assume that someone else's regulator can be substituted for MH with the MH EDS.

Old January 23rd 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 23 January 2020 03:03:59 UTC+2, Tango Eight wrote:
Don't assume that someone else's regulator can be substituted for MH with the MH EDS.

From Mountain High's website:
"MH Oxygen Regulators are constant-pressure regulators calibrated to deliver 15 -20 psig of dynamic pressure"

Any pressure regulator supplying a constant pressure in the same range should work fine. All the fancy stuff happens in the EDS unit.

Circling back to the OP's comment about price. What is the price of one's life? $600? The same argument can be applied to a functioning parachute and an airworthy aircraft.

Easy and affordable IGC logger Senna Van den Bosch Soaring 26 May 1st 18 09:05 AM
Looking for an affordable glider.... xTrainwrecKx Soaring 4 August 17th 11 12:03 PM
Looking for an affordable glider.... xTrainwrecKx Soaring 1 August 9th 11 05:07 PM
Affordable Glider K Smith Soaring 20 July 23rd 09 07:13 AM
Affordable planes Tom Home Built 4 November 6th 08 09:59 PM