A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC CAMP AT MORIARTY, NM, JUNE 1 TO JUNE 15, 2014

Old November 11th 14, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default OLC CAMP AT MORIARTY, NM, JUNE 1 TO JUNE 15, 2014

Ramy wrote, On 11/10/2014 12:38 PM:
You can easily imagine a scenario where a flarm equiped glider has a
mid air with non flarm glider, this is something that lawyers will
jump on right away. Think about it.

Actually, I can't imagine that. I think most people overestimate what
lawyers will do, so unless that information comes from a personal injure
lawyer that is familiar with soaring and Flarm, I'm very skeptical that
you will be exposed to greater liability when flying legally without a
device that is not required by the FAA.

I don't have insurance companies asking if I have a Flarm when I get a
quote on liability insurance, either.

I have Flarm in both my gliders, and I encourage everyone to consider
using one, particularly those flying contests and camps.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old November 12th 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 7, 2014 4:12:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sundance Aviation, in conjunction with the Albuquerque Soaring Club, will conduct a cross-country soaring camp from June 1st through June 15th. The soaring conditions at Moriarty, 0E0 (zero-echo-zero) are known and respected worldwide and tend to peak during June. Moriarty pilots have placed in the top ten worldwide from 2008 through 2013 for distance and no lower than 5th in the OLC League Speed rankings with 4 first place finishes. As an airfield Moriarty consistently ranks in the top 20 worldwide for speed and distance. Between Sundance Aviation and the Albuquerque Soaring Club there are five powerful towplanes available. At an elevation of 6200 feet ASL the paved main runway 08/26 is 7700 feet long and 75 feet wide. The crosswind runway 18/36 is 6200 feet by 75 feet of brand new pavement. The gigantic intersection Delta on 08/26 allows simultaneous staging of many gliders and is suitable for both east and west fully ballasted operations. The intersection also allows multiple gliders to land in rapid sequence giving each a safe place to coast off the runway. Two runways guarantee a maximum 45 degree crosswind and provide for multiple simultaneous landings in light winds. There is a large paved tie-down ramp with cables on a first come, first served basis and plenty of trailer parking. Pilots should provide their own tie downs ropes or straps for best results. Ballast water is available from multiple points on the field and free wi-fi is available in the Terminal building adjacent to the ramp and a bathroom with shower. There are two glider repair shops on the field and multiple A&Ps and IAs. Other airport tenants provide full machining, welding, and composite fabrication facilities for aircraft, gliders and trailers. Weather that accommodate any soaring ambition and airspace restrictions that are few and distant allowing for the maximum freedom to pursue any soaring ambition.

Due to the already high take-off elevation of 6200 feet and June cloud bases well above 18,000 feet every glider must have oxygen equipment in good working condition. Oxygen refills are available on the field at a moderate cost. Oxygen refill systems are on carts so gliders may be serviced anywhere on the field. Pilots are encouraged to use glider ground handling equipment in good condition due to the large size of the airfield. A landing on runway 36 results in a retrieve of almost two miles back to the main staging area.

Moriarty is located on historic Route 66 and boasts 9 motels, three truck stops and several restaurants. It is located in the center of the state 45-50 minutes from Albuquerque and Santa Fe. There are many other interesting places to visit within one hour of Moriarty including the Quarai Ruins, Salt Mission Trail, Single Action Shooting Society Founders Ranch, Santa Rosa Blue Hole, Conchas Lake State Park, The Sangre DeCristo, Sandia, Manzano, Ortiz, and San Pedro, and Mountains, Paa Ko Golf Course, Wildlife West Nature Park, The towns of Cerrillos, Galisteo and Madrid, and many others. There is plenty of room for camping at the airport but hook-ups are not available.

The purpose of the camp is to accommodate pilots from every skill and experience level allowing each pilot to pursue his or her soaring dreams from basic FAI badge flying to long and fast OLC flights to pursuit of State and National records. Pilots new to cross country soaring will be introduced to preflight planning, flying techniques, and post-flight debriefing of flights for submission to the Online Contest or successful completion of FAI badges. Each day will start with a pilots meeting to discuss safety, weather, and issues unique to flying at Moriarty. Local experienced mentors familiar with the soaring conditions in the general area will be available for lead-follow flying as desired by attendees. Mentors will be assigned to attendees based on the attendees responses to a questionnaire that will be submitted as part of registration. The assignments will take into account the attendees equipment, experience level and desired goals from the camp.

The non-refundable fee for the event will be $150.00 for early registration prior to March 1, 2015 increasing to $200.00 thereafter. Tows will be available from Sundance Aviation and supplemented by the Albuquerque Soaring Club at Sundance tow rates (see www.soarsundance.com). Evening debriefings will be scheduled to analyze and view flights using SeeYou accompanied by adult beverages from the local brewery. Gas grills will be available for bring-your-own-meat style dinners. Pilots may attend any portion of the event they wish and by registering early with the dates they will attend organizers will be able to properly schedule towplanes and personnel to ensure a quality experience. Moriarty is truly a rare place in soaring where it is possible to combine a family vacation with some extraordinary flying - and running the camp over 15 days makes that practical.

For information and registration contact: or
505-832-5072 505-832-2222

Are you going to apply for an SSA sanction for this event?

Frank Whiteley
Old November 13th 14, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Are you going to apply for an SSA sanction for this event?

Frank Whiteley

We appreciate your concern and as I said in the private post you sent me, are looking into all options regarding insurance.
Old January 24th 15, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Here is the latest regarding the Moriarty OLC/XC camp. We encourage everyone to come equiped with FLARM.

We have also determined that the maximum number we can accomidate will be fifty gliders. Of course we will keep a list of those who wish to join us should we get more than fifty applicants.

We are now a sanctioned SSA event.

Zulu