US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

Old November 12th 14, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 15:14:54 UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:27:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
So the scores are in, the protests filed, and the dust has settled - or has it?

The more I think about this, not just Day 6 at Nephi, but also other contests I have attended, the more I think that all post flight score devaluation should be discarded.

My line of thinking is that somebody who has a good day should not have their score lowered or discarded because somebody else did not. A contestant should get what is earned, nothing more, nothing less.

When somebody has a "flight of a life time", then has it thrown out because somebody else had a crap day, how is that fair?

P9

I must say that as a competitor i much prefer the 1-26 Championships approach. Instead of knocking down the score of the top competitor on "tough" days they raise up the scores of the rest. winner always gets 1000 points. On a tough day then each mile is worth more points, just the way that it feels like in the cockpit.

I am not sure what the right answer is but I want to see competitions won in the air not on the ground. FWIW
Old November 14th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I agree with P9. The soaring rules have alot of special equations designed to tune the system and "ensure"....."fairness." A noble effort but the "tuning" often results in other unintended consequences.

In sailing, for example, if many boats break down or capsize in high winds, the winner does not have his/her score discounted. In light air, if the winner meets the time limit, he/she wins and if ALL other boats miss the time limit they get a score equal to the total number of boats started. You either finish the race or you get a zero.

This has a simplicity and beauty to it. I prefer it. Every race should count and every winner should be a full winner.

It sounds like people want more equation tuning. More complexity (at significant cost). I say make it simple and pure...

FWIW...

Old November 14th 14, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:46:06 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
I agree with P9. The soaring rules have alot of special equations designed to tune the system and "ensure"....."fairness." A noble effort but the "tuning" often results in other unintended consequences.

In sailing, for example, if many boats break down or capsize in high winds, the winner does not have his/her score discounted. In light air, if the winner meets the time limit, he/she wins and if ALL other boats miss the time limit they get a score equal to the total number of boats started. You either finish the race or you get a zero.

This has a simplicity and beauty to it. I prefer it. Every race should count and every winner should be a full winner.

It sounds like people want more equation tuning. More complexity (at significant cost). I say make it simple and pure...

FWIW...

Some are bent on making the rules remind us our tax laws ...