Excessive friction in the aiteron circuit in SZD-55

Old April 25th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Excessive friction in the aiteron circuit in SZD-55

Hi Paul,
I'd check the clearance between the aileron and wing. You should be
able to slide a strip of paper along the full length, on both sides,
and in all deflections. Binding will be shown by marks on your
ailerons. Fix it by sliding 80 grit sandpaper into the gap with the
sand facing the wing side of the gap, then work it back and forth for
the full length...............do this on both sides and in all
deflection angles. WEAR GLRVES, as the edge of the wing will become as
sharp as a knife! After ailerons move smoothly, this knife edge can be
sanded off by bending the sandpaper up 90 degrees then make a final
run down the aileron....................Replace your mylar and you
should be good to go. Speaking of mylar, it should be just wide enough
to cover the hinge gaps..............if your ship has excessively wide
mylar, that could be the source of your heavy ailerons. Every time you
input aileron control, you must lift all the
mylar..................google JJ's mylar ranting on how to cover the
hinge gaps with short strips of mylar, before applying the thin
mylar..............or, just take a good look at a ASW-27/29,
Schleicher has done a magnificient job.
JJ

Paul B wrote:
Hi

I have recently acquired SZD-55. The glider was manufactured in 1996
and has some 450 hrs. As far as I can tell the glider was maintained
very well by German workshop. Whilst I was aware that the 55 has quite
a heavy stick, I have only flown one other, this one seems to require
quite a force to move the stick whilst in flight. The friction force on
the ground is negligible. Whilst I found the glider great to fly,
responsive etc., the force required to move the stick becomes tiring
after a while. I also find that I tend to "overshoot" small
corrections, static friction requiring more force to overcome compared
to sliding friction. Has anyone had similar experience and if so how
could it be overcome.

Also I have noticed that when the stick is at dead centre, both ailerons
are deflected down by about 3mm (1/8").

Any help appreciated.

cheers

Paul

Old November 17th 14, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Hi JJ

I am sorry I did not answer and thanked you for your advice. I think I have not returned to the thread until now. However I am still flying the 55 having put some 500 hours on it since my initial enquiry. Also I had the glider fully refinished, so that may discount the gap. I tend to go against factory advice and wet lube the sliding guides. This has improved the situation.. There is stil more friction that I would like, but mainly at highre speeds. At thermalling speed it is just fine.

Once again, thank you for your advice and appologies for not replying more promptly. Six years is a bit long.

Cheers

paul
Old November 10th 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Paul,

I just stumbled across this thread and might have some information that can help you. I recently took my 55 to a repair shop and talked to the owner who has done some repairs on other 55s, too. He told me about one 55 where they had to open the wing and modify the stone because it would expand and bind in the sliding guide unter certain conditions. Maybe thats your problem, too?

Anyway, i also have a question: How exactly did you lube your aileron circuit? For lubing the outer sliding guide you would have to take off the aileron and lube it through the opening og the aileron lever, right?

Regards from Germany,

Michail