Vinyl letters in foreign language

Old December 4th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fly

Default Vinyl letters in foreign language

Hi Folks!

Anybody here have a sign shop or know about cutting vinyl letters?

Local Yak owner wants his name printed under the cockpit's edge aka typical
warbird style, except spelt in Russian.
Letters about 1 inch high.

We can handle the Russian language, no problem.
But we can't paint very well.

So we thought about getting the letters cut out in vinyl...

but None of the local sign shops are returning our calls!

Thanks for your help.
Kent Felkins
Tulsa

Old December 5th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonny

Fly wrote:
Anybody here have a sign shop or know about cutting vinyl letters?

I'm a graphic designer.

So we thought about getting the letters cut out in vinyl...

Great - easy to do.
Cutter is computer driven and will run from many standard types of
artwork.
Usually a sign shop will have software for the cutter and they just
type your text using a standard typeface (font) and print from there.
Most versions of this type of software will also handle picture files
of different types - best of all vector .eps files from drawing
programs such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator.

but None of the local sign shops are returning our calls!

Don't tell them it is in Russian! Probably freaks them out and they
won't have a standard Cyrillic typeface.
Just ask them what file types they can print from and if you can get a
match between what you can supply and what they handle you have a
winner.
Remember that programs such as Word rely on your installed fonts.
Handing your Word file to someone else doesn't mean it will work as you
see it!

Thanks for your help.

If you need any further help, contact me directly via email.

Old December 5th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bernard Bélisle

Sir,
Go to this website http://www.stika.com/ They have vinyl cutters at
a very affordable price. I have an old one since 6 years and it works
wonderfully. Just check for the proper width the Stika can cut. You can
either make any caracters in vinyl or make a mask to paint the letters in
any font available on your computer. Very simiple to operate. I made the
ident for my PA-12 with it.
Bernard