Please explain

Old November 12th 03, 09:35 AM
Ralph Savelsberg

BUFDRVR wrote:

Green + Red = Blue???
Mind boggles.

hmm, doesn't it? I have an idiglo Timex that has a blue light, I was told by
the NVG instructor in my squadron that it would work well enough, but would
have been better if it were green. He then gave me that exact line I gave you
above, anything with shades of red in it will tend to wash out NVGs. Anyone out
there have a clue better than mine? Any color spectrum experts?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

The green plus red is blue boggles my mind.

Still,

I wouldn't call myself a colour spectrum expert, but I'll give it a try:
The NVGs are most sensitive to light at the low frequency/ long
wavelength end of the visual spectrum, i.e. the red end of the spectrum
(and unlike the human eye even is sensitive to somewhat lower
frequencies in the IR range).
Green is associated with higher frequencies/smaller wavelengths than
red. A red light of a certain intensity produces a far stronger response
in the NVG than a green light of similar intensity would, since green
lies further away from the wavelength range to which the NVGs are most
susceptible. Pretty straightforward.
As for the blue, this is associated with even higher frequencies/smaller
wavelengths than the green, so it should be even less visible, which
gives no explanation whatsoever for why green would work better than
blue, unless with blue the worry would be that you wouldn't bee able to
see that at all, while wearing your NVGs.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old November 12th 03, 01:36 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

KeithK wrote:

In article ,
(Kevin Brooks) wrote:

I believe what he was referring to is the fact that red, green, and
blue are *the* primary colors.

Er, isn't that red, green, and yellow?

There is no such thing as "the primary" colours.

Colour is a very subjective thing.

If you're dealing with paint it would be red, blue and yellow (or Cyan,
Magenta and Yellow)
If dealing with light the most commonly used one would be red, blue and
green (RGB)

The human eye contains two different types of light receptive cells:
so-called cones and rods. Cones are used in light with relatively high
intensities and are responsible for colour vision. Visible light is only
a very small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, between 380 and 700
nm. Light of a certain spectral wavelength appears to us as a colour,
but light from a single wavelength is not the only way to create the
sensation of that particular colour. Different spectral distributions
can produce an indistinguishable colour sensation. The commonly accepted
theory for how colour vision works is that the cones in the human eye
contain three different pigments, with three different absorption
spectra: a pigment most sensitive to light around 450 nm (blue), one
most sensitive to light with a wavelength of 550 nm (green/yellow) and
one most sensitive near 570 nm (yellow/orange). That is why combinations
of three primaries, for instance red, green and blue can be used to
create pretty much every colour sensation.

A fine explanation of colour vision can be found in `The Feynman
Lectures on Physics', by Richard Feynman, of which every self-respecting
library should have at least one copy.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old November 12th 03, 10:52 PM
James Hart

Clark wrote:
"James Hart" wrote in
news:born99$1hucui$2@ID- 76251.news.uni-berlin.de:

BUFDRVR wrote:
I'm thinkin that with NVS, the lights are blue? Not sure, but it
would make sense. I know before NVS came out the formation lights
were all green, but this would overdrive and blind NVG's.

Actually Green lighting is better than Blue lighting for NVGs.
Anything with shades of Red light (Green + Red = Blue) will wash out
the NVGs.

Green + Red = Blue???
Mind boggles.

No boggle, just an alternate color reality.
:-)

Makes for some purdy camo schemes I'd guess .

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Old November 12th 03, 11:29 PM
BUFDRVR

[...]

Wow, this thread has gotten good, imagine that I'm actually learning here.
Unfortunately, I obviously misunderstood the NVG experts words, I thought he
said blue light was closer to the red spectrum than green, but if you're
correct (as well as another poster who posted the exact frequencies for each
color...impressive), I must have misunderstood. Anyway, he was correct, my blue
indiglo watch washed out my NVG's, if only slightly, while the green light of
similar intensity did not.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"