Flight Recorder for SSA Badges

Old November 19th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Flight Recorder for SSA Badges

Getting a Badge Candidate set up with barograph is a task no one seems
eager to undertake. *Then there are the periodic calibrations required
and the interpretation of the trace. *The width of the line seems
important some times. *Does anyone know if the LXNAV Nano will require
periodic calibrations for badge use?

Carl

yes all flight recorders require calibration. Barographs must be
calibrated within the preceding year, Electronic Flight Recorders must
be calibrated within the preceding 2 years. If a badge leg is claimed
with either type of recorder out of calibration you have one month to
get it calibrated and submit the data.

there is still setup required for the flight recorder. for the
barograph the OO has to fix the paper to the drum, mark the paper, put
the drum in the barograph and probably scribe a baseline and maybe
make a timing mark. then of course wind the barograph and turn it on.

for the flight recorder they'll have to connect it to their computer,
make sure the pilots name, glider, glider N number and whatever else
is required for the electronic declaration. Since you'll be using
this for renters this will have to be done basically before each
flight. One benefit us private owners have is we can usually set up
the device when we get it and if we always fly the same glider never
worry about it. Having the wrong info in the electronic declaration
risks invalidating the flight, unless a paper declaration is made
after the electronic one. I am paranoid enough about the electronic
flight recorder that I always make a paper declaration just to be
safe.

Old November 19th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Flight Recorder for SSA Badges/Nano

On Nov 18, 12:13*pm, Gregg Leslie wrote:

As far as reading a flight. Open Seeyou and open the Nano flight file, and
your flight loads.

Please tell me that SeeYou is not required to extract an IGC file from
this recorder.

Andy

Old November 19th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 19, 6:55*am, Andy wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:13*pm, Gregg Leslie wrote:

As far as reading a flight. Open Seeyou and open the Nano flight file, and
your flight loads.

Please tell me that SeeYou is not required to extract an IGC file from
this recorder.

Andy

Andy,

Plug the NANO into a USB port on your computer it is identified as a
drive and copy and paste the file.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old November 19th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Nov 19, 8:55*am, Andy wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:13*pm, Gregg Leslie wrote:

As far as reading a flight. Open Seeyou and open the Nano flight file, and
your flight loads.

Please tell me that SeeYou is not required to extract an IGC file from
this recorder.

Andy

no, the Nano connects to your computer just like a USB drive. you
open up the folder and drag/drop the igc file to wherever you want to
save it.

Manual is he http://www.lxnav.com/downloads/manua...ishver0100.pdf
Old November 19th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Nov 18, 9:37*pm, Tony wrote:
it was only complicated because you wanted to fly a closed course -

You are right, I did want to do a closed course. I had enough "head
downwind and land somewhere" in my hang glider days.

50km is an easy drive, but Diamond distance is a long time to wait for
the retrieve crew.

Todd
Old November 19th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

The LX specs for talking to an LX device such as Colibri, LX20 and probably
the Nano (which I don't have, anyway), are not public.
I'll try and ask LX if they can make them public. Winpilot and SeeYou can
talk to LX, because they are or were all part of the same company, I was
told.

paolo

"mike" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Nov 18, 10:01 am, Carl6703 wrote:
I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

I have a Nano and it is very easy to use and works well.
Blue Tooth with the Nano works, as does using the serial port with my
HX4700. There is one small hiccup if you are using XCSoar or LK8000.
So far declaring a task using LK8000 or XCSoar has not been possible.
The easy work around is using Navetir ConnectMe, which is a free
program, to declare tasks via your IPAQ just prior to take off. Of
course task inputs using a home or laptop computer are easy as well.

Mike "0"

Old November 19th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"mike" ha scritto nel ...
On Nov 18, 10:01 am, Carl6703 wrote:

I would like to retire our old Barographs and replace them with a
portable Flight Recorder that could be rented to candidates for SSA
badges. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable flight
recorder which would meet the badge requirements? Thanks.

Carl Baxter
Turf Soaring

I have a Nano and it is very easy to use and works well.
Blue Tooth with the Nano works, as does using the serial port with my
HX4700. There is one small hiccup if you are using XCSoar or LK8000.
So far declaring a task using LK8000 or XCSoar has not been possible.
The easy work around is using Navetir ConnectMe, which is a free
program, *to declare tasks via your IPAQ just prior to take off. Of
course task inputs using a home or laptop computer are easy as well.

Mike "0"

That would be nice, I'm not sure why LX (or the various companies spun
off now) do not publicity document their protocols/NMEA extensions
etc.

Failing that a terminal emulator capturing the serial port stream
should also tell you what you need to know.

Naviter has a close relationship to the LX companies but AFAIK
Winpilot does not and never had.

Darryl
Old November 19th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

"mike" ha scritto nel ...
[...]

Try http://lxnavigation.de/avionics/manuals_de.php
I was able to download a manual containing the definitions of the
LXWPx
sentences. The details of the upload and download protocols
aren't available that I know of, however.

-- Matt
Old November 19th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Carl6703[_2_]

On Nov 19, 5:38*am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Tony,

Who provides calibration service for the Nano? Does it take so much
time that I might need 2 Nanos to cover when one is out for
calibration? My feeling is that I can get OO's to do the electronic
setup easier than I can get them to do the barograph drill.

Carl

Old November 19th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 19, 2:49*pm, Carl6703 wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:38*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

Carl- Hide quoted text -

Carl,

I can calibrate the NANOs and any other flight recorder. I have be
providing 1 Day Turn on Flight Recorder Calibrations since 2004.

http://www.craggyaero.com/calibrate.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

WinCe Flight Recorder John Godfrey (QT)[_2_] Soaring 0 November 11th 09 12:18 PM
New flight recorder - flyWithCE Flight Recorder uros Soaring 12 May 5th 09 08:31 PM
In flight recorder Lou Piloting 23 March 24th 07 12:45 AM
Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges Doug Snyder Soaring 36 September 21st 05 08:26 AM
US: Flight Recorder Alert Judy Ruprecht Soaring 8 July 19th 04 09:04 PM