USB to Serial Converter

Old February 21st 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN

Default USB to Serial Converter

Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10
Thanks
John

Old February 21st 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 20, 6:01*pm, wrote:
On Feb 20, 7:07*pm, RN wrote:

Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10
Thanks
John

belkin F5U409 works

Guess it depends on the PC also. I bought a Tripp-Lite converter that
does not work from Volkslogger to
XP Laptop. After playing with it, I notice in the little manual under
system requirements, that it is for windows 98 and 2000 . I do have
Win 98 On my older PC, where I do not need it since that one has a
serial port.

Does any one need a converter going to a usb with the 98 windows on
the computer? I will check out the Belkin now.

Dieter
Old February 21st 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

John,
Dave Nadler's site explains this is detail, and Paul Remde (Cumulus
Soaring) has good advice also, including suggesting to visit Dave's
site:

"Connecting to PCs that Don't Have RS-232 Serial Connectors
Most flight computers and flight recorders connect to PCs using RS-232
communications. However, most new PCs do not have RS-232 serial
connectors. These are usually DB-9m (9-pin male) connectors. There
are several ways to work around that issue. My recommendation is to
use an RS-232 serial port PCMCIA Card. You can see an example he
Socket Serial I/O PC Card Another solution is to use a USB to serial
converter. However, many of these units to do work as well as one
would expect. David Nadler has compiled a very nice list of devices
that have been tested and work well. You can see his page he
http://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_USB_Serial_Notes.html"

Paul, hope it's okay to paste your info here as a plug.
~Bruce
Old February 21st 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Feb 20, 7:23 pm, Barny wrote:
[...]

In my business, I have a few industrial instruments that use RS-232
for communications. My experience with USB converters has been very
mixed. The Belkin has worked best, but I find conflicts. Some
instruments that use USB actually have a built-in RS-232 converter and
this has led to conflicts with other converters, including the
Belkin. Even modern versions of Windows don't always handle these
conflicts very well.

In frustration with converter conflicts, I acquired a refurbished IBM
T30 laptop, which is one of the last to still have an RS-232 port, but
still runs Windows XP and has built-in wifi. This has never let me
down with any connected instrument (including the SN10 and
Volkslogger).

The USB converters can work quite well, but don't expect it to be as
easy as a dedicated RS-232 or even a PC card converter.

Mike
Old February 21st 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bullwinkle

On 2/20/08 7:32 PM, in article
, "Mike the
Strike" wrote:

On Feb 20, 7:23 pm, Barny wrote:
[...]

FWIW: I use a Keyspan USA-19HS with both an SN-10B and a Volkslogger. Also
allows me to run ActiveSync to my Compaq 1550 with serial-less (USB-only)
laptop.

All three types of connections were initially a bit fiddly in terms of
software/driver setup, but workable.

Old February 21st 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi John,
I use USB Serial Adapter CP-US-03. Does the Job. I use to it to
dowload flights from the Volkslogger to the laptop. It also comes in
handy to hotsync my Tungsten T to that laptop which was not supplied
with serial as you obviously discovered.
Cheers
Marc
Old February 21st 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

If your computer has a PC (also called a PCMCIA) card slot, I strongly
recommended the Socket Serial I/O PC Card found he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/socke...al_I/O_PC_Card
I have recommended that card for years and I've never had a customer say it
didn't work for them. It is a bit pricey, but it is an actual serial port,
not a USB adapter. It is worth every penny.

However, my latest laptop did not have a PC card slot so I was forced to try
to utilize its Express Card slot. I bought an SIIG CyberSerial ExpressCard
and it works OK. I thought it was an actual serial port, but when I
connected it to my PC I noticed that a new USB connection was created! But
it does work well for me for transferring waypoints and flight logs, but not
so well for firmware upgrades. On the same PC I have also tried using a USB
to RS-232 adapter and it rarely works.

Since I do firmware upgrades to soaring instruments I have relied on using
my home desktop computer with an actual RS-232 serial card for the serious
work of firmware upgrades. I was surprised when my latest desktop did not
come with an RS-232 serial port. I had to order a $30 card. It works great
though.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 21st 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
trailgalore

"RN" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10

Don't know what the Ilec SN10 is, but www.iogear.com sells a converter that
I use from my laptop to my GPS.

Old February 27th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

On Feb 20, 7:07*pm, RN wrote:
Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10
Thanks
John

I have used a CEFC USB-to-serial adaptor from 'Cables to Go' for at
least 10 years, and it has worked flawlessly on the SN-10, Garmin GPS
units, PDA's and everything in between, with several different
laptops.

Frank (TA)