PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

Old August 11th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

On Aug 8, 9:00*am, Dave Hoppe wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of
PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

Part of the reason is that google groups was dead for a while and many
(like me) gave up. rest day, google back, you may get more feedback.

The unit is slick and intuitive. Very professional-looking. Yes, it
chews up batteries. Also the battery indicator is not that reliable.
Put in new batteries every day no matter what. For rental, go buy a
bucket of batteries. For permanent installations, power it externally
or go for rechargeables. (Rental might want to go rechargeable too).

The major issue is where to put it. As expected the power flarm is a
tad bulky for a tape it in and go installation. That's why we clamored
for and got the brick.

The good news is that tape it in and go is possible and works
reasonably well. The rental program should work out fine. I got mine
the night before the contest and installed it in the half hour before
grid time.

It's a bit tougher on Schleicher gliders. The only place I've seen
anyone manage to put it (including mine) is sideways on the left hand
side of the glareshield. This isn't optimal since the GPS is pointing
at a 45o angle in level flight and 90 degrees when banked hard. (It
won't fit on the top of the glareshield)

I think a triangular bracket that would allow horizontal placement of
powerflarm above the lower left side of the glareshield or on the
canopy rail would make a good installation. Alas the two hardware
stores I went to were out of aluminum sheet and then I gave up on the
project. A Ram mount (if you're willing to drill holes) or an old
camera mount on the rail would be perfect. Some mechanical type needs
to make a bunch of clever brackets.

It will fit on top of a Schempp-Hirth glareshield but don't put it
directly on top of another GPS! If your Nav GPS is right under the
glareshield, the powerflarm will work great but you won't get a log.

I can't give details on performance. It picked up lots of gliders that
were close in thermals and running out on course, and I was especially
delighted to know about gliders behind, above and below, and off to
the side while running. I was able to connect PF to the clearnav and
see the "threats" on the CN display. Either the range is short, or
it's set not to show lots of other gliders.

The screen is visible, but not offset. Mount it so it's pointing at
you.

We have one report already of a near-collision averted by Flarm. A
pilot on tow heard the flarm go off, found the target, and quickly
told the towplane to alter course, which he did, saving the day.

John Cochrane
Old August 11th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 11, 3:14*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
[...]

thanks for the input John. I'm going to be working on a shelf tonight
in the Cherokee. working on getting a rental (maybe the one you have)
delivered up to Llano for Region 10. will stock up on the batteries
Old August 12th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Most people own RJ45 (network) cables with one end that needs
cutting off. It is very easy to make a power cable from that "junk"
cable.
It's the same pin configuration as other loggers that use RJ45, like
Volkslogger. *
The timing ended up being a rush to get units to Uvalde. Perhaps
power cables will be supplied with all the rental units in the future.
There's already a circuit in my panel for the brick. Just need to
plug it in to the fused Anderson PowerPoles connector on the RigRunner
4008 labeled "FLARM", and find out where the antennas would like to
be.
Jim

* RJ45
Pin 1/2 Ground/Common/-VDC
Pin 3 Receive data
Pin 4 Send data
Pin 7/8 +10 to 28VDC
Pin 1 is on the left with the locking tab away from you and the cable
towards you.
Old August 12th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Aug 11, 11:55*am, JS wrote:
A note on the vertical antenna on the FLARM unit. I didn't like
looking at it so the first mod to the OzFLARM in the Nimbus 3 was to
remove the black plastic casing from the antenna and replace it with
Tygon tubing.
The second mod was to buy a stick-on antenna and put it on the canopy.
Anyone at Uvalde can probably have a look at VJS, but I don't think
Steve is using that antenna yet. Photo also on Soaring Cafe. That
antenna was available from Nigel Andrews (RF Developments) who built
the OzFLARM. Perhaps still is available, or perhaps from Swift
Avionics who do have other remote FLARM antennas.
Jim

Yes, to all that may be interested, come have a look at the antenna on
the canopy of my Nimbus. Too bad the little black one can't be
removed, Jim. FCC Requlations to keep us from putting some sort of
"high gain" antenna on there, and blasting out that power! But, there
is a second antenna connection location. For now, I am just living
with the stick. And the FLARM unit blocks very little of my view over
the nose. I can easily see all again by leaning forward a little bit.

Steve Leonard
Current owner of VJS

Old August 12th 11, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 12, 12:00*am, Steve Leonard wrote:
FCC Requlations to keep us from putting some sort of
"high gain" antenna on there, and blasting out that power! *

You're kidding, right?

Old August 12th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Aug 12, 5:24*am, T8 wrote:
On Aug 12, 12:00*am, Steve Leonard wrote:

FCC Requlations to keep us from putting some sort of
"high gain" antenna on there, and blasting out that power! *

You're kidding, right?

Nope. The antenna is permanently installed (my understanding, as
required by the FCC for them to grant approval), and removal will very
likely damage the unit. Note to all: PLEASE do not take this as a
challenge to remove without damaging! Warranty will likely go away,
as you are doing what I have been told is expressly forbidden in the
manual.

Steve Leonard
(I am a user, not a reader! :-) )
Old August 12th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 10, 6:26*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

The need in the USA for a permanently attached FLARM antenna was the
FCC's requirement not something FLARM wanted to do.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The documentation on file at FCC clearly indicates that the reason the
antenna is locked into position is that the connector type is not FCC
approved. It is my conclusion that FLARM chose this compromise to
avoid the delay of changing to an approved connector.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApp...tml?id=1491689
Old August 12th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

As Andy points out, perhaps this is one of the reasons for the delay
on the "brick" version. If the "brick" doesn't come with antenna
connectors on the back, there won't be much point. Perhaps a retrofit
of the approved connector can be done on the set-top boxes... We can
hope.

I went with the "brick" as soon as it became a concept, knowing
PowerFLARM is taller than the OzFLARM and how little I like anything
above the glare shield - compass, mirror, top of IPAQ, Plastic Jesus,
etc.

Many people install the OzFLARM or Swiss FLARM in a cutout at the top
of the panel, making the top of the unit flush with or under the glare
shield. An LS-6 I sometimes fly (VH-KYL, in which Brad Edwards won 15m
at Uvalde Worlds 20 years ago) has it under the glare shield.

Any of the Australian competitors at Uvalde will have input on the use
of FLARM, as they have flown many "FLARM mandatory" contests.

Steve, don't let the authorities see the quick disconnnect on the
stick-on antenna. Likely non-approved.
Jim
Old August 12th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 8/12/11 6:46 AM, Andy wrote:
On Aug 10, 6:26 pm, Darryl wrote:

The need in the USA for a permanently attached FLARM antenna was the
FCC's requirement not something FLARM wanted to do.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The documentation on file at FCC clearly indicates that the reason the
antenna is locked into position is that the connector type is not FCC
approved. It is my conclusion that FLARM chose this compromise to
avoid the delay of changing to an approved connector.

To be clear (maybe to other readers) it is not an "FCC approved
connector" in that sense like they are using some cheap connector now
and need a technically better one, they require a connector that
prevents the user swapping the antenna for another non-approved one
(i.e. one different than the device passes FCC tests with). Its CFR 47
Sec. 15.203 - that rule exists because of the concern about users
substituting higher gain antennas and exceeding the radiated power and
other specs within the IMS band (in this case). The whole
fixed/removable antenna comes up in other FCC approved/unregulated
consumer devices e.g. with consumer FRS vs. licensed GMRS radios. In
most consumer (e.g. non-licensed user) devices this usually results in
the antenna or cable being permanently attached to the device. Some of
the FCC enforcement/interpretation of this stuff gets a bit head-scratching.

Darryl

Old August 13th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Aug 12, 2:01*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On 8/12/11 6:46 AM, Andy wrote:

On Aug 10, 6:26 pm, Darryl *wrote:

[...]

So how is this going to work with a brick version, will there be an
external antenna or will the brick come with fixed internal or fixed
external antenna that limits our ability to put the brick where we
have space?

PowerFLARM at Uvalde Paul Remde Soaring 19 August 1st 11 05:52 AM
Status PowerFLARM for USA Andrzej Kobus Soaring 0 May 17th 11 10:21 PM
PowerFlarm rentals Lee[_11_] Soaring 20 November 22nd 10 09:23 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM