An aeroplane that can stand still in air

Old January 7th 04, 10:14 AM
Simon Robbins

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
You are, as usual, full of it. The Su cannot "stop" in mid- air for more
than a fraction of a second.

The Su-37 can (or did, don't believe the aircraft is in existence anymore),
I've seen it do it with my own eyes. It held there at about 40 degrees AOA,
with it's vectored thrust pointing right down. Dead steady hover.

Si

Old January 7th 04, 10:32 AM
Cub Driver

Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

You really know how to hurt a guy.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 7th 04, 08:08 PM
David Windhorst

Simon Robbins wrote:

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
.. .

You are, as usual, full of it. The Su cannot "stop" in mid- air for more
than a fraction of a second.

The Su-37 can (or did, don't believe the aircraft is in existence anymore),
I've seen it do it with my own eyes. It held there at about 40 degrees AOA,
with it's vectored thrust pointing right down. Dead steady hover.

Si

Obviously, any a/c with a t/w ratio of unity or better can, in theory,
hover. But how would it maintain attitude for more than just a moment?
Wouldn't that requre a) air moving over control surfaces, b) reaction
controls (as on the NF104), or c) some really intuitive manipulation of
the thrust nozzles? And how could it hover at anything less than 90
degrees AOA? Wouldn't, to hover, CG have to be right over CT, if
there's no forward momentum? It's not like a jet can "hang on the prop."

Not flaming, just wondering...

Old January 7th 04, 08:14 PM
Ian

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
"Ian" wrote in message

robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Chandresh Prakash" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?

Harrier/AV8

I used to think that SU - 30 could do it. Is that true ?

No

Keith

As usual, Keith tries to speak as an authority and is dead wrong as
usual. I have a demonstrator video of a Su-35 stopped in mid-air
(briefly) during a difficult manouver and there are plenty of others
who have seen the Su-37 do it too.

Rob

pendent mode
Keith was probably right - the original question was SU-30 related, and
you've proved him wrong quoting the SU-35 and Su-37????

/pendent mode

Hey moron, use your brain. Look at the title of the thread and first
sentence of the original poster's question!
Keith isn't saying that the Su-30 can't stop in midair, he's saying no
non-VSTOL/VTOL aircraft can stop in midair. Read his reply for
confirmation.
Yet amazingly both the Su-35 and Su-37 have DEMONSTRATED a dead stop
(no forward airspeed at all) in midair during highly complex manouvers
that only their aircraft can perform.
The F/A-18 might have a brief pause trying to emulate that manouver,
but it cannot dead stop like the Su-35 and TVC Su-37.
You want me to mail you the video?

Rob

No thanks

Old January 7th 04, 11:36 PM

Cub Driver wrote:

Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

You really know how to hurt a guy.

all the best -- Dan Ford

Sorry Dan, I should have added "...except for those that are fun
to fly"

--

-Gord.
Old January 8th 04, 01:23 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Cub Driver wrote:

Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

You really know how to hurt a guy.

all the best -- Dan Ford

Sorry Dan, I should have added "...except for those that are fun
to fly"

--

-Gord.

How about backing up? I know a pilot who flew the length of the old
Huntsville (AL) airport backwards! It was in a Cub, with about 40 kt
winds -- he got into trouble with FAA for it, too!
Old January 8th 04, 08:23 PM
Richard Brooks

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"John R Weiss" wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote...

Any aircraft which does a stall turn stops momentarily

What is a "stall turn"?

An airplane that is stalled usually maintains significant forward speed.

Of course...they stall at their design stall speed (which varies
with payload, fuel weight and flight configuration). Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

A flying instructor told me of lysanders that would fly backwards if the
headwind was too strong.

Richard.

Old January 8th 04, 11:37 PM

"John R Weiss" wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote...

Any aircraft which does a stall turn stops momentarily

What is a "stall turn"?

An airplane that is stalled usually maintains significant forward speed.

Of course...they stall at their design stall speed (which varies
with payload, fuel weight and flight configuration). Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

A flying instructor told me of lysanders that would fly backwards if the
headwind was too strong.

Richard.

He should have told you that -any- aircraft will fly 'backwards'
if it's headwind is higher than it's stall speed.
--

-Gord.
Old January 9th 04, 03:49 AM

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"Richard Brooks" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
. ..
"John R Weiss" wrote:

"Keith Willshaw" wrote...

Any aircraft which does a stall turn stops momentarily

What is a "stall turn"?

An airplane that is stalled usually maintains significant forward speed.

Of course...they stall at their design stall speed (which varies
with payload, fuel weight and flight configuration). Damned few
have a stall speed under 100 knots.

A flying instructor told me of lysanders that would fly backwards if the
headwind was too strong.

Richard.

He should have told you that -any- aircraft will fly 'backwards'
if it's headwind is higher than it's stall speed.

Oops...should have said that it 'can' fly backwards if it's
headwinds are higher than it's stall speed...and...that
it 'will' fly backwards if it's headwinds are higher than it's
max speed
--

-Gord.
Old January 9th 04, 11:07 AM
Andrew Chaplin

" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"Richard Brooks" wrote:

A flying instructor told me of lysanders that would fly backwards if the
headwind was too strong.

He should have told you that -any- aircraft will fly 'backwards'
if it's headwind is higher than it's stall speed.

Oops...should have said that it 'can' fly backwards if it's
headwinds are higher than it's stall speed...and...that
it 'will' fly backwards if it's headwinds are higher than it's
max speed

Just ask any Swordfish pilot.
--
Andrew Chaplin