Volkslogger - No Log Download Success "data -transfer ready!"

Old May 15th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Volkslogger - No Log Download Success "data -transfer ready!"

I had a similar issue that ended up being resolved by a factory repair . I would suggest you try your VL against someone else's "known good" download setup. If it fails you may need a repair.

Lynn
Old May 15th 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Paul Remde napisał:

I must respectfully disagree with you Darryl. I've been using and
selling the FTDI Chip USB to Serial Converter for several months now
because it works great with every soaring flight recorder I've tried it
with.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ftdichip.htm

I use FTDI converters too with success. In fact there are two main
USB-serial chipsets available: FTDI and Prolific. Prolific does the good
work too, provided that.. you have a real one. Market (at least
European) is literally flooded with cheap counterfeits from China, which
make a lot of transmission errors.

Anyway both chipsets are ok with current drivers and proper settings.

--
WojtuÅ›
Old May 20th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Dan Daley, Lynn...

Thanks for your reply reference a failure internally of the VL serial chip that required factory repair. I suspect that may be the problem, but still need to rule out a hardware problem in my USB converter. Next, I'll dig up an old Win XP PC box that has a real serial port and try SeeYou connection wizard.

One interesting note... I can hear syncrhonized clicking noises with the usb converter lights coming from the VL logger while the SeeYou connectional wizard software is querrying the VL data logger. Something in the VL makes a little noise during a serial transfer.

Noticed that this discussion migrated to evaluating USB serial converters. I've found that the ones with the FTDI chip set works real well including keeping their device drivers updated.

Walt Rogers WX
Old May 22nd 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

FINAL CONCLUSION... SERIAL CHIP DEFECTIVE ON VL

I think the serial chip is defective. Tested unsuccessfully downloading using SeeYou Connection Wizard with another old PC using a regular serial port.. Now, I don't even get the he "DATA-TRANSFER READY" message on the VL even with the USB converter on various PCs and notebooks. Apparently the 115200 bps speed for data transfers no longer works reliably.

My VL still works ok at 4800 bps driving my SN10B (Just tested again this afternoon in my glider).

Based on Murphy's Law... my VL will probably fail on the first day of the Region 9 contest at Moriarity (1.5 weeks away). Symptoms seems to be pointing in this direction with a 15 year old unit. I'm going to buy a Nano and wire it up before I leave...

Walt Rogers, WX
Old May 22nd 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:32:28 PM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
I'm going to buy a Nano and wire it up before I leave...

Hey Walt - Get a PowerFLARM if you haven't already done so !
Logger works great, SN10 can declare task into PowerFLARM.
Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: 2.38 is now released:
http://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_Resource_Index.html
Old May 22nd 13, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Hi Dave,

I've already got PowerFlarm. It drives LK8000 on the Vertica V2 which can also declare tasks on the PF. I've been using igc files from the PF for the last half dozen flights and they validate fine on OLC. Want to keep full logger redundancy each driving their own flight software. Needed to replace the VL with another logger that has validation for all flights. PF doesn't isn't good for National or World records.

BTW, ten pilots out of 14 flew PF at our local Central California Soaring Contest and v3.0 worked just fine. PCAS seems more sensitive. FLARM sensitivity worked great in and around gaggles.

Walt Rogers WX
Old May 26th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Dave,

Can the SN10B declare tasks to an attached (wired RS-232 interface) Nano data logger?

Walt Rogers WX
Old May 26th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Walt,

The SN10 can send task declarations to Volksloggers and FLARMs, but not to
Nano's or anything else.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________

Old September 21st 13, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

POST FINAL CONCLUSION...MY VL WORKS FINE NOW!

Long after the original post, I re-visited my VL download problem by using a different but identical USB Converter (XS-882 from USConverters.com). Low and behold, my download to a PC from the VL worked perfectly! So, my VL is OK... I'm the idiot for not checking all the components/cables that could have caused the problem. Moral to the story is... Check all possible connectivity problems before blaming hardware on your logger. It's hard to test these USB Converters since so few devices use serial connections. But, you can do a loop back test with the right type of connectors: http://www.usconverters.com/download...bleshooter.pdf I wasn't able to do this because those connectors were not available to me.

BTW, USConverters.com, is a great company to work with. After returning my XS-882 with a letter asking them to test it and replace if faulty.. they simply mailed me a new one free of charge! Now, I have a VL, set of cables and a USB Converter for sale in case anyone out there wants to buy my setup.

Walt Rogers WX
Old September 21st 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:24:26 PM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
I've used my Volkslogger (VL) for years. Lately, I've been unable to transfer or download IGC log files to my PC. I'm using various PC's (Desktop; notebooks, etc) to no avail. With SeeYou Connection Wizzard and Streppla, using a USB Converter (usbconveters.com - model Ut-882)and custom cables, the LCD windows on the VL only shows "data-transfer ready!" with no further interaction to DL log files. I've used all this equipment in the past and it worked perfectly. Started having this problem in March 2013 when I thought it was solved by updating the FTDI device driver for the converter. Apparently, that probably wasn't the root cause of my problem. Today, I made up new cables... and that didn't solve the problem either. Has anyone out there seen this failure mode on the VL? Walt Rogers, WX

I have had the same problem and solved it by switching to my spare cable - I have an older model with the 9-pin serial and the terminals are rather complex and fragile.