UH-2A mishap, USS Bon Homme Richard 9Dec62

Old January 28th 04, 05:50 AM
Krztalizer

Default UH-2A mishap, USS Bon Homme Richard 9Dec62

UH-2A Seasprite, Buno 147976, made a forced landing some distance from CVA 31
USS Bon Homme Richard. The pilot made a good landing and deployed the
floatation bags under the fuselage while a second UH-2A hovered nearby. But,
in an all too familiar scenario for such events, once the rotorbrake stopped
the main rotorblades, wallowing caused by waves toppled the Seaprite onto its
side and it turned turtle. The crew had already escaped unharmed.

The "Bonnie Dick" sent its motorwhaleboat to attach a towline and an attempt
was made to drap the helo closer to the CV as it completed its flight ops for
the day. The landing evolution complete, the giant carrier manuevered close
aboard and lowered a crane hook (from Tilly? who knows) to recover the
submerged helicopter. Work continued into the night and ultimately the soggy
machine was hoisted back aboard the ship, apparently with some difficulty.

That is all the information I have of the event. I would like to know the
crew's names, squadron assignment, and whether the cause of the forced landing
is recorded. In addition, I'd like to find out if the aircraft was returned to
service and if it was ultimately configured as a LAMPS Mk 1 SH-2(D or F). I
would be grateful for any assistance.

v/r
Gordon
PS, several photos of the event will be posted to
Alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, by my friend Dave, who doesn't know it yet...
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old January 28th 04, 04:04 PM
Krztalizer

Thanks, TJ - just to repeat my earlier correction (thanks, Dave), the mishap
occurred on Sep 12, 1963.

v/r
Gordon
PS, this is a great example of how the internet is supposed to work - without
it, it would be weeks or months of letter-writing and waiting to learn about
this.