A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

As the Chief Refinishing Officer (CRO) of my club, let me wholeheartedly agree with JJ. The bottom line is that refinishing an older (club class glider) doesn't make economic sense unless you are doing it yourself because have the time and skills, doing it because of the love of the glider, or doing it because you are a sado masochist.

Here's the math for an ASW-20:

- Moderately crazed ASW-20 in otherwise fair shape. $25K
- Full refinish at retail north of $25K (being generous here)
- Total cost $50K (forget about all the other stuff - instruments, trailer, etc.)

Now, go look at the classifieds. Several nice to very nice ASW-20s for mid $30K. Each of those owners at some point in the near past dropped significant money into those ships that they will never get back.

In your price range, the LS3 that JJ mentions as well as a Pegasus that showed up and maybe one or two others would be the best bets. As others have mentioned, a partnership would let you get into an LS4, ASW-20, ASW-24 etc in much better shape which would let you spend more time flying and less time fettling.

p3

On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 11:09:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Michael,
There’s an elephant in the room that nobody’s talking about. Your price range means older ships, older ships have old gelcoat. Properly refinishing a 15 meter ship is going to cost a minimum of 20K! If you buy a ship with so-so finish, your going to sell it a few years down the road with less than so-so finish! My number one priority would be buying a ship with recent refinish in Urethane. Number 2 priority would be good instruments, number 3 priority would be trailer, then comes auto hookup’s, disc brakes, nose tow hook, etc. I am a prior owner the LS-3a that Stowers is brokering at Minden. Feel free to contact me for any questions about that bird.
JJ