AOPA Flight Planner - Microsoft only?

Old March 20th 04, 05:14 AM
Jim Fisher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

(btw - your "3%" number is incorrect)

Oh? What is the percentage of Windows to Non-Windows systems in the HOME as
I stated, Bob?

--
Jim Fisher

Old March 20th 04, 07:24 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jim Fisher wrote:
"Sylvain" wrote in message
info about knoppix can be found here (it is a very neat Debian based
distribution of Linux that boots from the CD, i.e., neat for those
who'd like to try what a real OS looks like without having to
install anything on their PC): http://www.knoppix.org/

That is just too cool. Thanks.

Knoppix IS cool.

I've had to duplicate a number of hard disk images. With Knoppix, I can
sysprep the Windows machine, boot with Knoppix, then "dd if=/dev/hda
bs=1K | gzip | nc some-remote-machine" and on the remote machine, netcat
the incoming data to a file. Made my own custom Knoppix boot disks to
write hard disk images to new machines - stick 30 of the buggers on the
network, boot them with Knoppix and they automatically run the script
that images the new machine from the file on the server. Great way to
deploy new machines - an inexpensive disk duplicating factory for your
organization.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 20th 04, 07:34 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Peter Duniho wrote:
architectural problem that just giving your file an .exe extension makes
them executable, and therefore if you find another bug like the MIME
bugs OE suffered from, you can leverage it to make executables attached
to email run automatically.

As opposed to Unix where you can attempt to run ANY file, regardless of
extension? I'm not sure what your point here is.

My point is that since under Unix, when email arrives, attachments don't
have the execute bit. They can't. They aren't on the filesystem. You
therefore can't double-click an executable attachment to run it from
your email client which is a GOOD thing. A bug in the email client that
automatically opens attachments can't be leveraged to run executables,
as it has with Outlook Express. MIME type bugs can't be exploited to
trick the mail client into automatically running executables - because
the file never has execute permission when it's sitting in your inbox.

Under Windows, on the other hand, .exe is execute permission *unless
it's already on the disk and you can use cacls to clear execute
permissions!* So the file is executable by default, merely by having a
..exe (or .bat, or one of about two dozen three letter extensions). Bugs
in MSIE are *still* being found that can be used to exploit this very
basic architectural vulnerability.

As for security cultu consider this. Although Apache by far and large
is the most common web server, all the serious exploits so far has been
for the minority web server - IIS (Code Red et al.)

See my other message.

IIS is the niche product here, but it gets all the press about its
vulnerabilities.

Old March 20th 04, 09:50 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:02:49 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote

That's what I think we need to do with AOPA: help them recognize the
problem: that they're encouraging a dangerous monoculture.

- Andrew

You still don't get it AOPA is trying to provide a service to the vast
majority of it's members. It will switch to a different platform when the
majority, or a significant percentage, are using a different platform They
are not going to be out to DRIVE for change. It is not their place.

It's kinda like the firm that used to take care of my retirement
accounts. They installed a system that required you use IE to long
into your accounts. No other would work. At that point I rolled all my
accounts over to another brokerage firm.

I have not seen what AOPA has done, but if they have done something
like that is ver poor engineering practice as there if almost nothing
on the web that has to require a specific browser if they stick with
standard html and XHTML coding.

What one earth is is they have done any way?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Get off it, already.

Old March 20th 04, 10:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

Oh? What is the percentage of Windows to Non-Windows systems in the HOME as
I stated, Bob?

It's even lower. But I fear that's not what he meant.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 20th 04, 10:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

not sure how your post relates in any way to what I said. I don't think
it does. The point is this:

How can you claim that the "real computer" is so superior to Windows
and then go on to describe all the ways you use to make your "real
computer" into a Windows machine. That's ridiculous.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 20th 04, 10:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Um, I'm seeing a huge demand for offices to switch to Linux due to security
concerns. If you think "security by minority" is why Linux is more secure
then your words are extended beyond your knowledge.

I think we can both agree that currently, the vast majority of "bad guys" is
trying their wares on Windows and Windows only. The major reason is that
their chance of hitting someone is so big. The claim that "Macs are so much
more secure" is, in that context, dubious since the Ma's security isn't
really tested.

As for Linux (and, subsequently, the latest Mac OS), the security
architecture might be better - and we might see.

I am also baffled by
your opinion that Linux is a "collosal waste" of money. Price Windows XP
Pro and Office XP and compare to any of the comme

That wasn't my opinion. Read back, please. My opinion was that AOPA would
have wasted money from the viewpoint of their Windows using members if they
had developed a Linux version.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 20th 04, 12:23 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:19:17 GMT, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

It would be nice to see a system such as
Linux be able to handle the needs of all levels of corporations.

I'd say that many (esp. small) companies might have the need for a win OS.
Let'S assume a small company of 5 to 10 people working with a computer.
What is their need? Most of their business related work is done with a
solution software, mostly only available for windows, therefore this OS,
with this software they manage their clients, write their bills, etc.

and then there is the need for email and browsing. you can choose Outlook
Express and Internet Explorer or any other freely available program. As
there are many security concerns with OE and IE I'd suggest anything else
to use.

Now: this company sometimes has the need to do a small calculation or write
some letters that can't be written with their solution software. This is
the time to make the decision for buying a Microsoft Office suite for about
200 or 300 bucks or you can have the same features for 0,- bucks
(OpenOffice). I can't understand companies with the above structure and
situation still buying a MS office suite, needing to register with MS,
never versions bringing DRM, closed source, etc.

#m

NB: Agent released version 2 of their newsreader. Time to upgrade!

--
A far-reaching proposal from the FBI (...) would require all broadband
Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire
Old March 20th 04, 12:26 PM
Mike Beede

In article , Peter Duniho wrote:

Maybe someone at AOPA has a brain and recognizes that a) people like you
that think all you need to do to practice safe computing is to use a Mac are
fooling themselves, and b) people like you that choose not to run Windows
are a minority they can afford to **** off.

Kind of like pilots in the general population?

Mike Beede
Old March 20th 04, 12:31 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:27:18 -0800, Peter Duniho wrote:

However, as you
say, this is a cultural thing. For any software company, and especially for
Microsoft, one of the biggest cost centers is customer support. Most of the
calls are for stupid things like "what icon do I click to read email"?
Cost-wise, in the past, it has been much less expensive to enable everything
by default, so Microsoft doesn't have to answer phone calls that are
basically just asking how to turn the light switch on.

Everyone gets the customer he deserves. :-)

#m