They're like the energizer bunny...

Old June 15th 04, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Default They're like the energizer bunny...

Depression and despair rule the roost tonight in Iowa City.

After all the meetings attended, and all the editorials rebutted, and all
the interviews granted, and all the letters written -- our City Council
called a sudden, surprise joint meeting with our Airport Commission tonight,
and announced their intention of putting the dissolution of our independent
Airport Commission to a voter's referendum on the November ballot.

This signals the end of our airport, plain and simple. The independent
airport commission was set up after World War II SPECIFICALLY to protect the
airport from the political whims and vagaries of subsequent city
governments, and now the council has indicated that they intend to dissolve
the only body that protects our airport from the land developers and noise
nazis.

I knew when I found the meeting agenda on the city website this afternoon
(posted just hours before the meeting) -- and it listed NO topic for
discussion -- that we were in deep ****. Boy, were we ever.

Upon hearing about this (almost by accident, from a connection deep within
the bureaucracy) I immediately sent a bulletin email out to the "Friends of
Iowa City Airport" mailing list -- but it was too late. We only managed to
get about ten members to attend, and there was no opportunity for public
comment. We just had to sit there and take it, while they spewed their
political lies and slanted bull crap about how this change would "help the
airport in the long run"...

I'm tired, man. We fight, and fight, and fight, and we defeat them at every
logical level, both publicly and privately -- and then they pull together a
sneak attack like this. Hell, even the airport manager -- a city
employee! -- didn't know about this meeting until last Friday, and he didn't
know what it was going to be about until he walked in the door and was
broadsided.

I know what you'll say: Call AOPA. Hell, they're no help -- our local
"representative" is a commercial pilot -- who, in 7 years, I've never even
MET -- who only wants that title on his resume. I'm at the airport every
god danged day of my life, and I couldn't pick this guy out of a line-up...
Helluva job he's doing.

We are soooo screwed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 15th 04, 05:15 AM
HECTOP

You know what happened to the Energizer Bunny when they put his batteries in
backwards?

Instead of going, going and going...

it kept

coming coming and coming!

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old June 15th 04, 05:18 AM
Michael 182

Jay,

This will probably be a drop in the bucket, but I'll write to your city
council and point out that the only reason I have ever visited Iowa City was
to land at the airport. I spent money at your Inn, a local restaurant, on
fuel at the airport, and visited a few shops around town. Maybe if you were
armed with a hundred letters like this from this newsgroup and others,
perhaps (I know, it's a long shot) some council members might be swayed?

Sorry for the bad news. Anyway we can help, I'll bet the regulars here will
jump in...

Michael

Old June 15th 04, 06:35 AM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:Pmuzc.55284

Depression and despair rule the roost tonight in Iowa City.

After all the meetings attended,

It may sound simplistic, but does your group have an attorney?

Old June 15th 04, 07:16 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

Find out how many people directly work at that airport.

Add in their spouse and children.

Figure out how many off airport people make their living or a
substantial portion of their living as a result of that airport.

Add in their spouse and children.

Figure our the wages of the airport employees.

Figure out the revenues of related buisiness and the wages.

Collect some bucks from everyone.

Take out a center spread of your local paper.

Put in a large banner headline to the mayor and council of your city.

State the economic impact the closure would bring and the unemployment.

Then using eight columns across per page - sixteen columns total,
print the names of everyone directly and indirectly affected, what
their jobs are, and if your gutsy..... their salaries ( why not ).

Or for direct and indirect businesses ( LIKE YOURS ) what the potential
lost revenues might be and how many employess might have to be let go.

At the bottom of the page print in a bold reverse explain the fact that
every name listed above is a taxpayer, and a registered voter, and that
unemployed people don't pay taxes, and they don't vote for politcians
who are responsible for taking their jobs away.

Bill Jacobs - Pilot - $32,000 per year - Single - no kids
Cathy Labert - Waitress - $6.50 per hour - Married - 3 kids
Ken Davies - Fueler - $12.50 per hour - Single parent - 2 kids
Dave Lacomb - mechanic - $46,000 per year - married - no kids
Linda White - food wholesaler $138,000 lost revenue - married - 3 kids

Something like that..... 6 point type - 16 columns across.

Cram if chock full of names and stats and I can practically guarantee
you that your policticians won't like it.

Tell them in clear English that everyone on the list will volunteer
time, effort, and money during the next election to make sure that none
of the current policticians will be re-elected.

You get the idea.

Don't be mansy pansy.
Old June 15th 04, 07:30 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 03:51:11 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

[...]

I believe this is illegal. There are rules for notice of public
meetings. My town has a 7 day notice I believe. You should find out
what it is, and if they violated it persue negating any and all
progress stemming from that meeting. You may need to do this in
court, but it seems well worth it.

Boy, were we ever.

Upon hearing about this (almost by accident, from a connection deep within
the bureaucracy) I immediately sent a bulletin email out to the "Friends of
Iowa City Airport" mailing list -- but it was too late.

We only managed to
get about ten members to attend, and there was no opportunity for public
comment.

This is completely illegal. If it is a public meeting, the public
needs a forum to speak. This can be strictly controlled, and
unrealistic time limits can be set, but they have to allow you to
speak! If you don't have a lawyer in the group you may want to
consult one. He can help try to put an end to this type of activity.

[...]

I'm sorry for these events. You do have recourse. It may be a little
costly, but I believe it is worth it. Legislators should not be
allowed to bend the rules to suit their own desires. There is a
political process for a reason. If you can defeat them within that
process, they should listen and adhere to what the public needs. Good
luck. I hope you wake up with new fight and can start pushing back on
what seems to be a railroad job.

Old June 15th 04, 07:45 AM
Jim Herring

Jay,

Follow the money. Someone is going to make a lot of money from the sale of the
airport and some people on the city council (not the city) are going to profit
from it.

When Austin was looking for a new airport location the mayor was telling his
buds where to buy land. When the city announced where they were going to build
the new airport (the area is what we call black clay, not a good place for an
airport) a lot of businesses and land owners got screwed as no one would do new
business with them or buy their land. Guess what? Half way through this mess the
USAF decided to close Bergstrom AFB. The city turned it into the new airport
(BTW without approval of the voters). The people who were screwed before are
still trying to recover. At least the mayor's buds got screwed.

--
Jim

carry on

Old June 15th 04, 08:56 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Depression and despair rule the roost tonight in Iowa City.

Snip Unfortunate Information

We are soooo screwed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Damn Jay,

That truly sux...

IMHO, I believe Shiver Me Timbers' post offers your best course of action.
Put things in black and white / dollars and cents and put names / faces to
it too.

A wise person once said "Don't Agonize...ORGANIZE!"

Best of luck,

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
24.9 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old June 15th 04, 09:47 AM
Dave S

I would research the open meetings act posting requirements with regards
to this meeting.

I also question that there was no opportunity for public comment.

As others have said.. follow the money. Someone has to benefit from
this. Its just a matter of finding out who.

Dave