PowerMouse vs Power Flarm - Updates by March? hardware/software -ADS-R, TIS-B

Old December 15th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default PowerMouse vs Power Flarm - Updates by March? hardware/software -ADS-R, TIS-B

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 11:23:27 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
If you fly Experimental in airspace where you're not required to meet FAR 91.227 compliance, why wouldn't you configure your TN72 + TT21 to SIL=3? The only functional difference is that TN72 + TT22 (with SIL=3) puts out a stronger signal.

Because that is a violation of 14 CFR 91.227. Good luck with your next ramp check :-)

The reason for the FAA requiring high-power transponders to be used for ADS-B Out is to allow for the larger spacing between ADS-B Out ground stations.. The inconsistency that this is really required is awkward. If say ADS-R did not work reliably with lower-power TABS devices at longer distanced from ground stations that could be a dangerous by providing a false sense of traffic awareness/services being provided.

The Trig reply is a bit confusing as the situation has nothing to do with SSR radar per se. If the FAA really wanted to they might be able to profile suspected low-output power ADS-B Out sources. Possibly sitting on top of some technology already in the ADS-B ground infrastructure. But it would produce huge numbers of false positives. Maybe they just pick glider suspects. Or maybe they just ramp check all experimental gliders with SIL=3 ADS-B Out because of posts on public forums suggesting the possibility of violating 14 CFR.

Old December 16th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Darryl,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The main reason I would equip with TABS on my Trig T22 is if ATC would allow a clearance to briefly transit Restricted airspace or Class B,C. In my area the most common scenario is transiting the corner of a restricted area after talking with Joshua Approach (Edwards AFB). Do you think ATC would continue to allow this with a TABS device? ... i.e. ... we are still visible with SSR but not fully 2020 ADS-B compliant. In my mind, the jury is still out regarding this scenario.

That's why I'll wait until after Jan 1, 2020... to see how this all pans out. The cost (power, space and $) of full ADS-B out compliance is too high at this point.

Certainly, there are good reasons for having ADS-B out using TABS... mainly being a good "aviation citizen"... and visible accurately to other aircraft. There are other reasons: triggering ADS-R, TIS-B, being visible to FlightAware ground stations, strong PowerFlarm target, and AERION for search and rescue/tracking. Why shouldn't ATC also have this benefit by seeing us as a SIL=1 TABS target?

I know... you are just the messenger of this insane system

Walt Rogers
Old December 16th 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Walt

I mostly doubt TABS will make any difference in the discussion. Lack of 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out quite likely will.

And most FAA folks will have *no* idea what TABS is. It’s orthogonal to FAA NAS surveilience. It is not 2020 compliance ADS-B Out stuff that has so many FAA folks are kept busy with right now.

So if in your position I would go talk to your local controllers, ask about/explain TABS. See what they say about future airspace transits. Check wether they indeed can’t see SIL=1 targets, Who knows, Joshua RAPCON for example might be different than other facilities but I doubt it. If you want help on the technical discussion bits I am more than happy to talk to folks there with you.

Old March 18th 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Price

I can speak at the moment about the LX Navigation Eagle. Stay away from it for now, the support as of March 2019 seems non-existent after filing tickets and multiple reminders. The only reply was a promise to get to it without follow through. Perhaps they will staff up at a future time. My issue was what I believe to be a defective unit with inactive Rx/Tx adter what I believe to be proper firmware prep and proper wiring. I am returning it for a PowerMouse.
Old March 27th 19, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Price

It turned out to be a CPU issue, LX Navigation arranged for a replacement Flarm Eagle with ADS-B which worked immediately upon boot so I can now recommend their unit and support.