Air/Oil Separators

Old May 23rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Air/Oil Separators

I'm running a Lyc O-360. Anyone have any experience, good or bad with
any of the air/oil separators? My craft is certified, so I have to use
one of the approved ones. $360 seems a little overpriced for about 5
bucks worth of material, but then I don't know what it cost them to get
it approved. I'd like to run the full 8 quarts, and one of them claims
you can with no oil loss. Thanks in advance.

Old May 23rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doh. Don't everyone stay home from work answering my inquiry. Right
after I posted, I noticed the search feature at the top of the page and
have plenty to read......unless you'd like to add something. I'm kind
of leaning toward the M-20. According to their site, the rest are
charlatans and their's is the only worthwhile one. But I guess my only
STC's choices are it and the Walker.Airwolf.

Old May 23rd 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

For the "other side" of the air/oil separator story read the short
editorial at
http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng30.htm

Old May 23rd 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Old May 23rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have an Lyc O-360 and run it at 7 qts. I add at 6. The only time I put
8 qts in is at oil change because of the filter and prop hub. Everything
I have heard is that first qt of oil is lost overboard. I get about 12
hours per qt. The engine has about 300 hours on it.

Ross
KSWI

Old May 23rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ross Richardson wrote:
I have an Lyc O-360 and run it at 7 qts. I add at 6. The only time I put
8 qts in is at oil change because of the filter and prop hub. Everything
I have heard is that first qt of oil is lost overboard. I get about 12
hours per qt. The engine has about 300 hours on it.

If you said the engine had 900 hours on it, I'd think you stole mine. G

Who cares about flying with 8 qts.?

Fill to 7, add @ 6.
Old May 24th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 23 May 2006 05:20:22 -0700, "Kensandyeggo"
wrote:

Doh. Don't everyone stay home from work answering my inquiry. Right
after I posted, I noticed the search feature at the top of the page and
have plenty to read......unless you'd like to add something. I'm kind
of leaning toward the M-20. According to their site, the rest are
charlatans and their's is the only worthwhile one. But I guess my only
STC's choices are it and the Walker.Airwolf.

I don't trust any company that talks down the competition.
OTOH contrary to the site in a link listed on another post, the good
ones do not put the crap back in the engine and they are almost a
necessity if you have a wet pump which I do on the Deb.

Nor do I need to see oil all over the bottom of the plane so I can
spot an indication of problems. If you develop bad blow by it'll show
up.

Mine is a Deshanon which is about 6 inches in diameter and I'd guess
about the same height. I'd have to go look at it to be sure.

At any rate it works great and they were recommended by the ABS
mechanic at one of their clinics. On 25 hour oil changes I do not
have to add any oil. It will be down so little it's difficult to say
it used any

Get a good air/oil separator and I think you'll love it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 24th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kensandyeggo" wrote:

I'd like to run the full 8 quarts,

Why?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 24th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Oh, I don't know......I guess I read or heard somewhere that it's best
to have full oil for best cooling and efficiency, but I'll run seven
for now and add at 6.

Old May 24th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kensandyeggo" wrote:

Oh, I don't know......I guess I read or heard somewhere that it's best
to have full oil for best cooling and efficiency, but I'll run seven
for now and add at 6.

I found that even that was a little too much for my O-360. I add a quart
when the level falls a notch below 6.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM