FAR:Safety Pilot & High Performance/Complex?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 7th 03, 06:06 PM
John T

Default FAR:Safety Pilot & High Performance/Complex?

"FryGuy" wrote in message
1

1) I am a private pilot ASEL. I'm pretty sure that it is
not a problem with me being his safety pilot but he told me I can log
the time PIC. Is this correct?

Yes, you may log the time actually spent as a safety pilot as PIC.

2) What are the requirements for complex and high performance
aircraft?

Separate endorsements are needed for high performance and complex airplanes.

14 CFR 61.31
(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except
as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot
in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing
gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a
seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller)...
(f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may
act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an
engine of more than 200 horsepower)...

3) Can I log time as the safety
pilot in this plane if I haven't yet gotten the endorsment for
complex/HP? 91.109.b.2 says the safety pilot just needs to be a
private pilot with the appropriate category and class ratings.

You've answered your own question. The safety pilot needs to be rated
in the category and class of the aircraft.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer