Challenger Crashe at TEB

Old February 3rd 05, 10:11 PM
Blueskies

"Darkwing Duck" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message ...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
.. .

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:50:35 -0900, Scott Skylane
wrote:

Blueskies wrote:
/snip/ Someone on a respirator with head
injuries was hit while driving his car, and a couple more were injured
when hit...

Well, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place!!!

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

LOL - OK, I get it!

Sad day for a couple of folks - just heard two died...

Not that I can find anywhere -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap/plane_crash

Still a wild deal. I flew IN a Challenger a couple times, amazing plane. Beats my 172!

Yep, nothing I can find now. Damn TV. I guess still not a good day, but not as bad as before?!?!

Old February 3rd 05, 11:08 PM
Matt Whiting

Darkwing Duck wrote:

"Blueskies" wrote in message
.. .

. ..

wrote:

Blueskies wrote:

/snip/ Someone on a respirator with head
injuries was hit while driving his car, and a couple more were injured
when hit...

Well, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place!!!

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

LOL - OK, I get it!

Sad day for a couple of folks - just heard two died...

Not that I can find anywhere -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap/plane_crash

Still a wild deal. I flew IN a Challenger a couple times, amazing plane.
Beats my 172!

Except at short-field takeoffs and landings! :-)

Matt
Old February 3rd 05, 11:14 PM
Matt Whiting

Peter R. wrote:

Joe Johnson wrote:

To Peter R. and Gary Mishler. Say for sake of argument that the pilots
missed a thin layer of frost. If discovered, are there any remedies short
of a full, formal deicing?

I am not qualified to answer as I have no experience in anything greater
than a single engine piston aircraft.

That said, when my aircraft was frosted over in those three incidents, my
only fly-able option was to request a complete aircraft deicing.

Fortunately, in all three cases the line crew was available, had the deice
fluid nearby, and did it for free. I tipped them generously.

If deicing were not an option, I would have had to get a hotel and wait
until the frost melted off the next day, or some liquid deicing were
available. In no case would I have attempted to take off with it on the
wing surface.

Why? It is acceptable to "polish the frost smooth" per FAR 91.527.

Matt
Old February 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
Joe Johnson

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Thank you for pointing this out. The "visable moisture" requirement is

for
in-flight icing, not frost. Temp/Dewpoint at TEB yesterday morning was
M04/M08. Obviously the "collecting surface" was below freezing and the

temp
dewpoint spread was narrow enough for the humidity to sublimate and create
frost on the wings.

Jim

Sounds like we're closing in on an answer, or at the very least reasonably
informed speculation.

Old February 4th 05, 12:34 AM
Peter R.

Matt Whiting wrote:

Why? It is acceptable to "polish the frost smooth" per FAR 91.527.

Three words: New paint job

--
Peter

Old February 4th 05, 01:20 AM
Morgans

"Peter R." wrote in message
Matt Whiting wrote:

Why? It is acceptable to "polish the frost smooth" per FAR 91.527.

Three words: New paint job

--
Peter

Those cans of spray-on windshield de-icer, which are mostly alcohol, seem to
do a great job, even on very heavy frost. Seems like two or three, and a
towel for a wipedown, would be a good thing to carry. Save the paint, fast,
complete, and not two expensive when compared to a paint-job, airport de-ice
(if available), or a new plane and crew.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 05, 02:31 AM
Darkwing

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Darkwing Duck wrote:

"Blueskies" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

Blueskies wrote:

/snip/ Someone on a respirator with head
injuries was hit while driving his car, and a couple more were injured
when hit...

Well, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place!!!

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

LOL - OK, I get it!

Sad day for a couple of folks - just heard two died...

Not that I can find anywhere -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap/plane_crash

Still a wild deal. I flew IN a Challenger a couple times, amazing plane.
Beats my 172!

Except at short-field takeoffs and landings! :-)

Matt

Yeah, but the Challenger had a BATHROOM!

Old February 4th 05, 02:44 AM
Ron McKinnon

Peter R. wrote:
If deicing were not an option, I would have had to get a hotel and wait
until the frost melted off the next day, or some liquid deicing were
available. In no case would I have attempted to take off with it on the
wing surface.

Why? It is acceptable to "polish the frost smooth" per FAR 91.527.

Interesting. It seems a rather dubious practice to me. It would indeed
appear to be legal in the US - but, FWIW, it isn't legal in Canada.

Old February 4th 05, 03:00 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 2/2/05 8:24 AM, in article ,
"Jon Kraus" wrote:

It looks like the Challenger skidded off the runway and crashed into a
warehouse at TEB. Isn't this the same kind of plane that crashed on
takeoff in Colorado? It looks like the plane remained intact so
hopefully the passengers and crew are OK.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 4443H

It seems to me that beyond the fact that they did ultimately crash, this
crew made the right decision to abort the takeoff and avoided an accident
that would likely have been much worse.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old February 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Matt Whiting

Peter R. wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Why? It is acceptable to "polish the frost smooth" per FAR 91.527.

Three words: New paint job

Won't hurt it if the rag is soft and you don't polish the frost clean
through to the paint. Keep in mind that you don't have to remove the
frost, just knock off the roughness. This doesn't take much effort
typically.

Matt