Tacile Feedback?

Old February 1st 04, 12:39 AM
Ron Wanttaja

Default Tacile Feedback?

I'm in the midst of working on my transponder install. I've got three
antenna cables running to the radio/transponder panel. Two are for the
Narco Nav/Comm and attach via BNC, the other used to be soldered to the
rack for the old transponder but will now get a BNC fitting as well.

Accidentally swapping the Nav/Comm antenna connectors made little
difference to the radio performance, but now the transponder cable will be
added to the mix and attaching the wrong cable to a device would be bad.

I'll add the appropriate labels to the ends of the cables, but most of the
time, I end up attaching the BNCs by feel. I was wondering if anyone had a
good suggestion for changing the tactile characteristics of the transponder
antenna cable.

In other words, when I reach back and grab the end, I'm going to want to
instantly know it's the transponder cable without being able to read the
label. Any suggestions?

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 1st 04, 12:56 AM
Rob Cherney

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:39:58 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

In other words, when I reach back and grab the end, I'm going to want to
instantly know it's the transponder cable without being able to read the
label. Any suggestions?

How about putting a plastic cable tie on the coaxial cable just behind
the connector? In fact, you could put two cable ties on the NAV
antenna connector so you could discern the difference between it and
the COM connector.

Rob-
Robert Cherney e-mail: rcherney(at)comcast(dot)net
Old February 1st 04, 01:19 AM
Orval Fairbairn

wrote:

In other words, when I reach back and grab the end, I'm going to want to
instantly know it's the transponder cable without being able to read the
label. Any suggestions?

How about putting a plastic cable tie on the coaxial cable just behind
the connector? In fact, you could put two cable ties on the NAV
antenna connector so you could discern the difference between it and
the COM connector.

Rob-
Robert Cherney e-mail: rcherney(at)comcast(dot)net

You could also file a flat area on the TXP cable.

BTW, it DOES make a difference if you hook up the comm antenna to the
nav and vise-versa. One is horizontilly polarized while the other is
vertically polarized. Both receiver sensitivity and xmit capability cna
be severely compromised.
Old February 1st 04, 01:23 AM
Michael Pilla

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
[...]

==========
Ron,
Unless you have diabetes or have heavily calloused fingertips, you will find
that the tips are quite sensitive to texture - look at the dots used for
Braille alphabet.

I would use simple heat shrink tubing. You could use a larger size that
will slip over the BNC since you don't care about how tightly it fits when
you shrink it. You are just interested in applying one, two, or three
pieces to establish a code that you can read w/fingertips.

Whatever you do, though, make sure the edge isn't all that sharp. I was
working by feel on someone's plane and cut my hand on the sharp end of a
nylon ty-wrap.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Michael Pilla

Old February 1st 04, 01:26 AM
Mike Patterson

wrote:

[...]

Suggest 4-inch tie-wraps. If you have multiple cables in the same
area, use a different number of tie-wraps for each cable and write it
down somewhere. For more then 4 or so adjacent cables, you can use
spacing as an added factor.

I do this on computer cabling patch panels sometimes, works for me.

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old February 1st 04, 01:28 AM
BRO

Ron,
Just use a bit of Heat shrink on the BNC ring - You'll feel it straight
away.

PS . the NAV and COM have different polarisation, so swapping them could
cause you no end of probs, use a cable tie on the top one, it'll give you
something better to grip.

Rgds,
Brett

Old February 1st 04, 01:29 AM
Morgans

[...]

How about a couple blobs of JB Weld on the outside of the connector?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 1st 04, 01:40 AM
Tim Ward

[...]

Get a little o-ring that just slips on and slide it on before attaching the
connector.
Put heat-shrink over both the cable and the o-ring.

You could do some coding with this -- no bumps vs 1 bump vs 2 bumps.

Tim Ward