OSH ATC Feedback Survey

Old August 11th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default OSH ATC Feedback Survey

Please take a few minutes and complete the questionaire at

http://www.airventure.org/atc/

Understanding Air Traffic Control at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

The information presented here was created by veteran Oshkosh Air
Traffic Controllers to give you - the pilot - a better understanding of
the Air Traffic Control procedures in use at AirVenture. After reviewing
these pages we hope that you'll be more knowledgeable about:
1. What you can expect as you fly into Oshkosh, and
2. What we in ATC expect from you.
Remember, this information is NOT a substitute for the Special Flight
Procedures AirVenture Oshkosh 2006 NOTAM. Thoroughly review the
AirVenture Oshkosh 2006 NOTAM prior to your departure and ensure that
you have a copy of this NOTAM with you before arriving at Ripon.
Ensure that you have received the OSH arrival ATIS on frequency 125.9
prior to beginning the Fisk VFR arrival procedure at Ripon.
We look forward to working with you this summer and hope this
information helps you during those first busy moments of your visit to
AirVenture 2006.
1.
2. VFR Arrival Hints and Tips
To Ripon and Beyond
Fisk VFR Approach Control
Holding
Do Not Pass Fisk Without Approval*******
Emergencies
*
3. VFR Arrival Runway Paths
Runway 9
Runway 27
Runway 18R / 18L via RR Tracks
Runway 18R only via East/West road
Runway 36L / 36R
*
4. After Landing
Exiting Runways
Parking
*
5. Departing AirVenture (VFR/IFR)
*
6. About the Controllers*
**
7. Feedback to ATC
Old August 11th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("john smith" wrote)
Please take a few minutes and complete the questionaire at

http://www.airventure.org/atc/

Understanding Air Traffic Control at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

For those involved in opening Sunday's (Need-To-Know) morning information
blackout, here's the biggie...

https://secure.eaa.org/airventure/atc_feedback.html
Feedback to ATC

We all figured out what went wrong that first Sunday morning. Nobody relayed
any information about a crash on the field ...to the arriving pilots!

Now, what does that have to do with me being carded for beer purchases, all
week, at OSH?

Plenty.

Adult decision making has be replaced by rules and regulations which seem to
kowtow to avoiding any and all assumed slights.

I'm 46 years old - I look all of 47. The person at the checkout counter, who
is also my age, should be able to figure that out when selling me alcohol.
However, in order NOT to offend someone who might be 23, and rightfully
asked for an ID, we all get carded. There it is - adult decision making
removed from the POS.

Relating this back to ATC (at OSH that morning) is easy. Vague, potential,
abstract, perceived sensibilities were considered above common sense. If we
hoard the information in front of us, we won't make a possible blunder and
hurt someone's feelings.

That information was necessary for pilots arriving to make adult
decisions - Should we land 100 miles out? Yes. Should we bug out to Fond du
Lac now? Yes. Should we delay our departure from 300 miles out? Yes. Should
we be understanding of the ground situation and continue the holding
pattern? Yes.

It's sad that not a single pink shirt said, 'Don't you think the pilots in
the air, and the ones hundreds of miles away - ready to make the final push
inbound to OSH, could use this information to help in making THEIR OWN
decisions?'

Nah, let's hoard all information. It's safer that way - regulations don't
you know.

Or put another (better) way, no one gave me permission to make an adult
decision, use my own judgment, assess the situation from where I stand
....much like the grocery store clerk carding a 46 year old buying beer - for
fear of getting punished.

Montblack
Except for this one (management induced) brain fart, I think the pink shirts
at OSH do an OUTSTANDING job!

Old August 11th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Montblack" wrote in message

It's sad that not a single pink shirt said, 'Don't you think the pilots in
the air, and the ones hundreds of miles away - ready to make the final
push
inbound to OSH, could use this information to help in making THEIR OWN
decisions?'

You don't know that a pink shirt didn't say that.

I was working that morning. I was talking to an OSH bound VFR aircraft
approaching MTW who said OSH ATIS was saying the tower was closed. I called
OSH tower about it and was told that an airplane had crashed on approach to
runway 27 and the field was closed. I relayed that to the aircraft which
then chose to land at MTW.

Old August 13th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

john smith wrote:
Please take a few minutes and complete the questionaire at

Just submitted my comments, thanks for the reminder Eric.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado