A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Passing of Ginny Schweizer

Old June 9th 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_41_]
external usenet poster

Default Passing of Ginny Schweizer

From the NSM: We are sad to report that Ginny Schweizer died on June 4, 2020, just shy of her 98th birthday. Ginny was a well-known soaring champion in the 40s and wife of Paul A. Schweizer. In recognition of her many accomplishments, she was inducted into the United States Soaring Hall of Fame in 1971.

More detailed bio: https://www.soaringmuseum.org/hof_more.php?id=98
Old June 9th 20, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:05:18 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
From the NSM: We are sad to report that Ginny Schweizer died on June 4, 2020, just shy of her 98th birthday. Ginny was a well-known soaring champion in the 40s and wife of Paul A. Schweizer. In recognition of her many accomplishments, she was inducted into the United States Soaring Hall of Fame in 1971.

Ginny was such a kind and gracious woman. When I was a whippersnapper, she made me feel welcomed into the Harris Hill community. She was no longer flying, but I wish that youngsters in soaring would more often offer to take the Seniors flying, to share the love of flight that spans scores of years.

Enjoy a seat in the spring flowers again, Ginny.

Cindy
Old June 9th 20, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 10:05:18 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:

A wonderful cheerful lady and an inspiration to us all. She was a true pioneer as part owner of the first commercial operation in Sanford, Florida, and later owner of the airport we fly at now. She was our first lady National Champion and someone to be emulated by all the young ladies that followed.
It is an honor to have known her.
She will be missed.
UH
Old June 9th 20, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Obituary:
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/th...842&fhid=13269

Mike
Old June 9th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

UH: "Wonderful, cheerful lady". Indeed. Photo of Ginny and Liz Schwenkler getting ready for a flight.
http://womanpilot.com/wp/wp-content/...innyLiz_02.jpg
Old June 9th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 10:16:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
UH: "Wonderful, cheerful lady". Indeed. Photo of Ginny and Liz Schwenkler getting ready for a flight.
http://womanpilot.com/wp/wp-content/...innyLiz_02.jpg

The second lady national champion flying with the first. A memorable moment.
UH
Old June 9th 20, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Sorry to hear this, but not unexpected due to age.
I remember meeting Ginny and Paul at many events at HHSC over the decades. Nice chats with both, especially when we brought "002" to the hill.

Condolences to her family and many friends.
Old June 9th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Remembrances for the departed are great to read here, particularly for those of us less familiar with that person and how he/she may have touched us as individuals. IMO, condolences expressed on RAS are heartfelt, I have no doubt, but they largely miss their target. The obit for Ginny has a comment section that I'm sure her family would appreciate posting of condolences and stories, particularly since COVID has delayed the service for her. Just cut and paste what you've contributed here, minus the "not unexpected due to age".
Old June 10th 20, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars
external usenet poster

I will always treasure my memories of meeting Ginny at the World Class Nationals at Harris Hill. Â*She joined a group of us with her radiant smile and an unassuming comment- "I'm a glider pilot too."Â* Â*
She and Paul joined the World Class group frequently during that contest. Getting to spend time with Ginny discussing the joys and challenges of flying light-weight gliders stands as a highlight of my soaring experiences.