Finally got to fly my new bird

Old August 17th 03, 02:08 AM
Wayne

Well, went over today and there was a new alternator, guess we will see if
that took care of it if it ever gets nice enough to fly. No idea how much
the alternator repair will cost....
Wayne
"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
"Wayne" wrote in message

Well, yesterday I paid for my third of my airplane, the 175B that I

Congrats!

Other than that, the DME is loose but works if you push it in and

the
com 1 seems a bit weak on transmit.

Most avionics are held in place via a single screw that can be
accessed using a long (5" or so) allen wrench from the front panel.
You may want to get or borrow one of these allen wrenches to verify
your DME is seated properly.

-Nathan

Old August 17th 03, 02:32 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Wayne wrote:

Well, went over today and there was a new alternator, guess we will see if
that took care of it if it ever gets nice enough to fly. No idea how much
the alternator repair will cost....

Mine was about $900.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.

Old August 17th 03, 03:53 AM
Jay Honeck

Ouch, I fly once and get 1/3 of a $900.00 bill. Like Jay was saying

Ask me about my first annual some day, when you're feeling especially cocky
about owning your own airplane... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 11:53 AM
Wayne

Oh no! I am not feeling cocky at all, excited as crazy but not cocky.
Tell me about it, maybe it'll make me feel better, or maybe it'll make me
sweat the days until annual. A friend of mine has a Vtail Bonanza and the
annual before he got it costed $18,000.00! He paid $55,000 for it and the
last three annuals were more than that total.
Wayne

Old August 17th 03, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Oh no! I am not feeling cocky at all, excited as crazy but not cocky.
Tell me about it, maybe it'll make me feel better, or maybe it'll make me
sweat the days until annual. A friend of mine has a Vtail Bonanza and the
annual before he got it costed $18,000.00! He paid $55,000 for it and the
last three annuals were more than that total.

Ouch. Sounds like yet another reason to steer clear of the venerable
V-tail... Too bad, it's the coolest looking thang...

No, my tale of woe annual only added up to $4900. Of course, I only paid
$32K for that Warrior, so it was still a "high-percentage" first
annual...and it came just months after the SAME shop gave the plane a clean
bill of health at the extensive pre-buy inspection.

They replaced all sorts of things that, in retrospect, probably didn't need
to be replaced -- a piston/cylinder, front fork, muffler, brakes, brake
lines -- all because they were (unknown to me at the time) struggling
financially.

Less than a year after this debacle, this FBO snuck away in the middle of
the night, leaving the city of Iowa City in the lurch (and starting the
airport down the road toward its current financial troubles) and slithered
back up to their home base in Cedar Rapids, where they continue to fleece,
er, I mean service the public.

So, just make sure you find a quality, honest A&P mechanic, and hold on to
your wallet -- it can be a rocky road until you find someone you trust
implicitly. (For comparison, my recent annual, on a slightly more complex
aircraft, cost around $800.00.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 03:56 PM
Wayne

Thanks for sharing and yeah, the Vtail's are a mix of great and oh-no
aren't they. The last annual costed around $850.00 but I intend to what I
can to keep the costs down. We usually pay $100 for ours, unless there is
some problem of course. Have you looked at the project plane I've been
helping with yet? It's a 63 172 with less than 1000TT and has been sitting
outside for 18 years! Take a peek. http://12.151.5.4/172

Wayne

Old August 18th 03, 12:43 AM
Hankal

Ask me about my first annual some day, when you're feeling especially cocky
about owning your own airplane...

Do not ask me about my first annual. I still suffer anger pains.
The bill was $14,385.00 afetr the plane was taken apart for the pre buy
inspection.
Hank N1441P
Old August 18th 03, 04:00 PM
Dennis O'Connor

A local at our field put his Baron up for sale... One mechanic that came to
do a pre buy inspection said it was the ninth Baron he had inspected for the
buyer, and only the second one he even bothered to open his toolbox for...
I chatted with him and he said that you cannot believe the percentage of
airplanes for sale that are listed as no damage and rated as a 9 inside and
out, that won't pass a walk around, much less an actual inspection...

Denny

Old August 18th 03, 05:12 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Wayne, the picture of the panel is priceless...
All you new comers take a look at how it was done before flip flop rados,
moving maps, etc...

Denny

Have you looked at the project plane I've been
helping with yet? It's a 63 172 with less than 1000TT and has been sitting
outside for 18 years! Take a peek. http://12.151.5.4/172

Wayne

Bush finally admits it! noname Military Aviation 1 August 6th 04 11:31 AM
Finally, some real solo IFR practice! Guy Elden Jr. Instrument Flight Rules 0 April 15th 04 03:55 AM
FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 01:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM