Out of date charts on Airnav

Old December 31st 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Out of date charts on Airnav

I was planning a trip, and in addition to the standard Jepp charts, eFlyBook
(another saga), I also print out a few of the FAA charts (larger, easier to
read at night, can scribble on them, etc).

However, on downloading and printing a chart from the Airnav website, I
noticed that they were from the last cycle, so might not be valid or
current(??)

Has anyone else noticed this? Are the FAA or AOPA sites any easier to access
and print?

Old December 31st 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stan Prevost

I don't see how it could be much easier than the FAA site
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp .

Old December 31st 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

However, on downloading and printing a chart from the Airnav website, I
noticed that they were from the last cycle, so might not be valid or
current(??)

You're not supposed to use charts from AirNav for navigation.

Old December 31st 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Stan Prevost wrote:
I don't see how it could be much easier than the FAA site
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp .

Are there any sites that have current VFR sectionals and/or low enroute
charts to print?

Old December 31st 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Are there any sites that have current VFR sectionals and/or low enroute
charts to print?

skyvector.com does.

http://skyvector.com/#16-15-3-2886-2532
is the Danbury area.

http://www.flying20club.org/library.html
has a few other interesting sites.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 31st 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kingfish writes:

Are there any sites that have current VFR sectionals and/or low enroute
charts to print?

SkyVector is a Google-Map-like service that lets you examine U.S. VFR
charts (sectionals and TACs) online, but it is not intended for use in
real-world navigation (however, the charts are current):

http://www.skyvector.com

I don't know of a source for online IFR charts, but if there is one,
I'd like to hear about it.

Old December 31st 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Since when? Besides, I only simulate flying in my real Baron.

Old December 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Since when?

Since always. There are disclaimers on the site, such as "NOT FOR
NAVIGATION. Please procure official charts for flight."

Besides, I only simulate flying in my real Baron.

If you have a real Baron, why (and how) would you simulate flight?

Old December 31st 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Thanks. I was partial to the Airnav site, since it also gave info on FBO's,
rental cars, nearby restaurants, etc., as well as the charts.

Wasn't too happy with AOPA, since it took too much navigating to get the
charts. Airnav was pretty easy.

Will go to NACO now for the latest.

Old December 31st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Thanks. I was partial to the Airnav site, since it also gave info on FBO's,
rental cars, nearby restaurants, etc., as well as the charts.

Wasn't too happy with AOPA, since it took too much navigating to get the
charts. Airnav was pretty easy.

Will go to NACO now for the latest.

I suspect the AirNav stuff is identical to the "real" charts, and the
disclaimer is mainly a legal requirement. The same holds true for
other sites such as SkyVector. That way, if you use information from
these sites, and if by unfortunate chance it happens to contain any
kind of error, and you kill yourself in a plane as a result, it's your
fault, not the fault of the sites in question. But in practice, it's
the same information in the same format.

There are times when I think the obsession with using only
"authorized" and "certified" charts is a bit pathological. I can
understand avoiding outdated charts, but when you can get a scan of a
current chart online, where's the risk in using it? Are details on
the charge going to be mystically mutated by the simple act of
scanning them?