Picture of Steve Bennett & R.S. Hoover

Old January 23rd 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Picture of Steve Bennett & R.S. Hoover

The picture is posted to my blog....
bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

-R.S.Hoover
Old January 23rd 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Monk

On Jan 22, 9:42*pm, wrote:
The picture is posted to my *blog....
bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

-R.S.Hoover

Glad to see you up and about Bob.

"proving once again that the more you fly, the handsomer you
become."

I think you could use a little more flying Bob. g ducking for
cover.
Old January 24th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 23, 6:16*am, Monk wrote:

Glad to see you up and about Bob.

Dear Monk and the Group,

What would REALLY make you glad is seeing the engines Steve and I put
together during his visit!

-R.S.Hoover
Old January 24th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan D[_2_]

wrote in message ...
The picture is posted to my blog....
bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

-R.S.Hoover

We've got those same damn gnomes in our front yard...although they are under 2' of snow right now...

Old January 24th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 24, 5:37*am, "Dan D" wrote:

We've got those same damn gnomes in our front yard...although they are under 2' of snow right now...

When our daughter pulled a tour in Afghanistan I sent her one...
complete with sergeant's strips. She said it freaked-out the locals.
(According to Muslin dogma, it is a sin to reproduce the human form
[only God is allowed to do that] ...which is why you see all the
statues defaced by having their nose broken off.) But the gnomes were
not quite human, which made the question of defacing them [or
literally, destroying them] something of a religious puzzle. Plus the
fact that everyone referred to it as "Sgt. Gnome," and assigned it the
duty of watching over their belongings whenever they were out in the
field.

Sgt. Gnome was 'transferred' to the new outfit when our daughter's
tour was up and in so far as I know, still mounts guard over the
girl's hooch at Kandahar.

-Bob
Old January 24th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan D[_2_]

wrote in message ...
On Jan 24, 5:37 am, "Dan D" wrote:

[...]

Very cool story...again! You are a man of many talents!

Old January 24th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----------------------

When our daughter pulled a tour in Afghanistan I sent her one...
complete with sergeant's strips. *She said it freaked-out the locals.
(According to Muslin dogma, it is a sin to reproduce the human form
[only God is allowed to do that] ...which is why you see all the
statues defaced by having their nose broken off.) *But the gnomes were
not quite human, which made the question of defacing them [or
literally, destroying them] something of a religious puzzle. *Plus the
fact that everyone referred to it as "Sgt. Gnome," and assigned it the
duty of watching over their belongings whenever they were out in the
field.

Sgt. Gnome was 'transferred' to the new outfit when our daughter's
tour was up and in so far as I know, still mounts guard over the
girl's hooch at Kandahar.

-Bob

Bob,

Anyone ever tell you that you look exactly like a retired Navy Chief?
For real here, no pun you've got that salty no nonsense look all over
you. You also carry the look of a prankster about you so I wonder how
those poor souls without any humor in them faired around you. ;-).
Glad your looking so healthy and that things are on an upswing for
you.
Now, do you think Steve Bennet can be sold on putting some much needed
upgrades into the VW case and heads? Some how I believe this would be
more sucessful that the water cooled heads were.

Joe S.
Old January 24th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 24, 11:31*am, Copperhead wrote:
do you think Steve Bennet can be sold on putting some much needed
upgrades into the VW case and heads?

Dear Joe,

Steve (and Linda) run a BUSINESS. What they offer reflects the
DEMANDS of the market-place. While they may be willing to RISK some
amount on making a particular 'upgrade' or modification, it would be
virtual suicide to do so if the mods or 'upgrades' do not SELL.

In the same vein, if you are convinced that a particular 'upgrade' or
modification is needed in YOUR engine, I am sure Steve would be
willing to include those features in the engine you ORDER, so long as
you are willing to back-up your request by putting the cash on the
counter. But you have to understand that there are some features
that simply do not justify the RISK, since Steve may be forced to have
that particular task done by an 'outside' shop.(*)

For example, I get lots of mail from helpful young gentlemen who take
the trouble to tell me how dumb I am for not building those fabled
'hundred horsepower' engines. The young gentleman will often go so
far as to cite some article in one of the VW-specific magazines in
which the fabled engine does a dyno-blip lasting as long as ten seconds
(!) in some cases, sure 'proof' that such engines exist... and that I
should be building them, instead of feeding everyone all this horse-
pucky about reliability, mean time before overhaul and all that other
UNIMPORTANT STUFF.

I'll tell you, Joe. I sure as dum. And I really appreciate having it
pointed out. :-)

I've got a hunch that Steve & Linda have a file of the same kind of
letters. And I'm sure they would be more than happy to build such an
engine for such young gentlemen... if they were willing to plunk the
cash down on the counter and sign a few documents that would not hold
Steve responsible if their dream engine turned out to be a few
horsepower shy.

Please don't take this the wrong way. There are plenty of mods that
SHOULD be on every flying Volkswagen, such as full-flow oil
filtration, or an effective oil cooler. Yet there are literally
THOUSANDS of potential customers who are firmly convinced that they
are being practiced upon when someone tells such modifications are
needed. And in the same breath those same 'experts' will agree that
adding a dilithium crystal is an absolute necessity.

Kinda makes you wonder...

The best idea, in my opinion, is to give Steve a call. If you need
something that has proven to be of real benefit, odds are Steve has
already done it. And on more than a few engines, too. That means he
can cite you a price. But Steve is addressing a market that grows
steadily smaller. The odds are, Steve is fully aware of those 'much
needed upgrades' you mentioned. But the truth is, the average newbie
looking for a converted VW engine is not. Including a lot of upgrades
that the typical newbie has never even HEARD about is simply shooting
yourself in the foot. And it's kinda hard to run a business when
you've got one foot in a cast :-)

-R. S. Hoover

Old January 25th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Monk

On Jan 23, 11:11*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 23, 6:16*am, Monk wrote:

Glad to see you up and about Bob.

Dear Monk and the Group,

What would REALLY make you glad is seeing the engines Steve and I put
together during his visit!

-R.S.Hoover

You've got pictures Bob? Would love to see it. I'm toying with an
idea of getting an old "bus" myself. I want one with flip up
windshields. Been thinking about taking wifey and the girls on a
cross country trip in one. One of these days things should fall into
place, hopefully before they get out of high school, they're in middle
school now.

Monk

Old January 25th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 24, 6:07*pm, Monk wrote:

What would REALLY make you glad is seeing the engines Steve and I put
together during his visit!
-R.S.Hoover

You've got pictures Bob? *Would love to see it.

T'was a JOKE, Monk. Attempt at HUMOR. Two motor-heads get together
for a cuppa coffee, put together a few engines whilst chatting 'bout
this & that. Humor. See, one guy he's got a shirt all lumpy with
tools & parts & stuff, an' the OTHER guy's got a shirt fully
crankcases an piston rods & old propellers and they sit down an...
an... mebbe not.
Nice visit though, sitting in the patio, swapping Cancer stories
(Steve's got some too, you know), enjoying each other's company...
Life is short. Sieze the day.

-Bob

Before Bob Hoover Monk Piloting 4 January 6th 09 10:50 PM
Hoover Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 August 2nd 07 07:22 PM
Floyd Bennett Field in the news AJ Piloting 1 April 25th 06 07:44 PM
Hoover Dam Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 March 2nd 05 06:20 AM
Contact number for Oliver Dyar Bennett John Soaring 0 December 29th 03 07:25 PM