LS X gear collapse fix

Old January 31st 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default LS X gear collapse fix

On Jan 30, 11:13*pm, wrote:
Is there a suitable replacement gas strut that can be bought in the US
(McMaster??) rather than ordering from Germany?

Last one we got was from : http://www.solairecanada.com/index2.htm
Around $80, I think.
Old January 31st 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 31, 8:34*am, DRN wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:50*pm, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

In going over some very old (15 years) RAS threads on gear collapse
problems, I found a reference to a service bulletin that mandates
replacing the gas spring with an aluminum bar. *JJ also mentioned
doing the same. Alas, the 15 year old link is inoperative. *On the DG
website I found a listing of service bulletins, but not the service
bulletin itself. *If anyone can send me a link or explain how to
obtain the reference service bulletin, I'd be very grateful.
TIA

Good points below, but a friend who just repaired the
following on his LS-3 reminds me...

Many of these LS gliders have rubber shock absorbing
gizmos built into the landing gear - and they are now getting
very old and turning to mush. The glider will typically sit much
lower to the ground then when new (and has less shock
absorption, wrong angle of attack on ground etc).

If the strut wasn't recently replaced, you'll want to have
a good look at that part as well !

Hope this helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Speaking of these rubber bushings used for shock absorbing, can anyone
point me to any documentation that describes how to measure the amount
of allowable "give"? I have an LS1f and I have nothing in my
maintenance log that shows these were ever replaced. Would my energy
be better spent on just replacing them? Or is it worth finding the
information needed to measure their current condition?

By the way, my "f" does not have any gas struts any where in the
landing gear system (although some other f's do). I've never had any
issues with it, although it sure is a nice ride on the "sprung" gear.

Thanks,
Dave