Runway ID

Old October 16th 05, 04:32 AM
Mike W.

Default Runway ID

Yes, renumbered runway ten (roman numerals)
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I always love it when they have to rename/repaint the runway because the
magnetic heading for the runway changed.. and to the non-informed...

no..
the earth did not move to change the runway..

Only in the case of Mayor Daley.

Old October 16th 05, 04:42 AM
Mike W.

No, Bill has this right. If rounded correctly, 045 becomes 'runway 4' and
055 becomes 'runway 6'.
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Lakeview Bill" wrote No...

The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and 054.

Actually, it could be 045 to 055. There is a choice of rounding up or

down,
with a heading ending in "5".
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 05, 05:27 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike W." wrote in message

No, Bill has this right. If rounded correctly, 045 becomes 'runway 4' and
055 becomes 'runway 6'.

So why is it correct to round 045 down to 'runway 4' and 055 up to 'runway
6'?

Old October 16th 05, 06:03 AM
Morgans

"Mike W." wrote

No, Bill has this right. If rounded correctly, 045 becomes 'runway 4' and
055 becomes 'runway 6'.

I'm sure I read a reg quoted earlier in this thread, that you got to choose
going up or down, when it was --5.

Who posted that?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 05, 06:19 AM
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote

I'm sure I read a reg quoted earlier in this thread, that you got to

choose
going up or down, when it was --5.

I found it. Quoted in earlier post by Bob Moo
____________________________________

4-3-6. Use of Runways/Declared Distances

a. Runways are identified by numbers which indicate the nearest 10-degree
increment of the azimuth of the runway centerline. For example, where the
magnetic azimuth is 183 degrees, the runway designation would be 18; for a
magnetic azimuth of
87 degrees, the runway designation would be 9. For a magnetic azimuth
ending in the number 5, such as 185, the runway designation could be either
18 or 19. Wind direction issued by the tower is also magnetic and wind
velocity is in knots.
____________________________________

So if this was a valid quote that Bob pulled up, it would seem to put *that*
to rest.

As far as the zero in the runway, I know it is not "correct" in the US, but
I think it is a shame that we do not follow more of the IACO conventions.
Just my opinion, of course.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 05, 01:00 PM
Lakeview Bill

True or false: An airplane can be a Piper or a Cessna.

While it is also true that an airplane could also be a Mooney or a
Beechcraft or any of the thousands of other builders that have come and
gone, the statement: "An airplane can be a Piper or a Cessna", is quite
true, although quite possibly less than necessarily inclusive.

Hence my choice of the absolutely true statement:

"The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and 054."

I recognize that Runway 5 MIGHT also have a magnetic heading of 045 or 055.
But if it has a heading between 046 and 054, it WILL ABSOLUTELY be Runway 5.

My choice to use "between 046 and 054" instead of including 045 or 055 was
in the, obviously vain, hope that we could avoid the endless argument over
minutiae that all too often clogs this group...

Old October 16th 05, 02:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. ..

"The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and 054."

I recognize that Runway 5 MIGHT also have a magnetic heading of 045 or
055.
But if it has a heading between 046 and 054, it WILL ABSOLUTELY be Runway
5.

KMKE had a runway some years ago with a magnetic azimuth of 053. It was
designated Runway 7L.

Old October 16th 05, 02:16 PM
Dave Doe

In article ,
says...
The original poster got it right with his use of the phrase "Runway ID",
because it is, in fact, an ID based on a number, as opposed to some type of
number.

What is the magnetic heading of Runway 5?

If someone is named "Fred", do you refer to them as "Zero Fred"?

The point is, we are dealing with a "name" which consists of a numeral, as
opposed to an actual number.

The runway is NAMED Runway 5. Why would you prepend a zero to a NAME?

Because we don't all live in the USA?

Google Earth to...
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameWoodburn/name
LookAt id="khLookAt539"
longitude173.8623092675428/longitude
latitude-41.51827447324778/latitude
range445.7915859883797/range
tilt59.74335566169054/tilt
heading85.78942805235496/heading
/LookAt
styleUrlroot://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317/styleUrl
Point id="khPoint540"
coordinates173.8623092675428,-41.51827447324778,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameKingsford Smith/name
LookAt
longitude151.1656777476775/longitude
latitude-33.9431305276927/latitude
range592.0090769603928/range
tilt56.07426755663099/tilt
heading73.71486602161265/heading
/LookAt
styleUrlroot://styles#default+icon=0x307/styleUrl
Point
coordinates151.1656777476775,-33.9431305276927,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameHeathrow/name
LookAt
longitude-0.4800131261500971/longitude
latitude51.46439240514528/latitude
range572.7365322921153/range
tilt65.28356894139483/tilt
heading90.7134713139385/heading
/LookAt
styleUrlroot://styles#default+icon=0x307/styleUrl
Point
coordinates-0.4800131261500972,51.46439240514529,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameParis/name
LookAt
longitude2.554618810077227/longitude
latitude48.9957715649475/latitude
range567.1602808722715/range
tilt55.61194273957288/tilt
heading86.94549055915485/heading
/LookAt
styleUrlroot://styles#default+icon=0x307/styleUrl
Point
coordinates2.554618810077227,48.9957715649475, 0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml

--
Duncan
Old October 16th 05, 02:27 PM
Hilton

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. ..

"The magnetic heading of Runway 5 can be any heading between 046 and
054."

I recognize that Runway 5 MIGHT also have a magnetic heading of 045 or
055.
But if it has a heading between 046 and 054, it WILL ABSOLUTELY be Runway
5.

KMKE had a runway some years ago with a magnetic azimuth of 053. It was
designated Runway 7L.

SJC's runway 29 is 303.3 degrees.

Hilton

Old October 16th 05, 02:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Advisory Circular 150/5340-1J STANDARDS FOR AIRPORT MARKINGS

MARKINGS FOR PAVED RUNWAYS AND TAXIWAYS.

Section 2. Runway Markings.

7. RUNWAY DESIGNATION MARKING.

a. Purpose. A runway designation marking identifies a runway by its
magnetic
azimuth.

b. Location. Runway designation markings, as shown in Figures 1 and 2,
are
located on each end of a runway.

c. Color. Runway designation markings are white. It is particularly
helpful
to pilots if these markings are outlined in black on light colored pavements
(see paragraph 4(a)(1)).

d. Characteristics. A runway designation marking consists of a number
and,
on parallel runways, is supplemented with a letter. A single-digit runway
designation number is not preceded by a zero. On a single runway, dual
parallel runways and triple parallel runways, the designation number is the
whole number nearest one-tenth of the magnetic azimuth when viewed from the
direction of approach. For example, where the magnetic azimuth is 183
degrees, the runway designation marking would be 18; and for a magnetic
azimuth of 87 degrees, the runway designation marking would be 9. For a
magnetic
azimuth ending in the number "5," such as 185 degrees, the runway
designation marking can be either 18 or 19. On four or more parallel
runways, one set of adjacent runways is numbered to the nearest one-tenth of
the magnetic azimuth and the other set of adjacent runways is numbered to
the next nearest one-tenth of the magnetic azimuth.

(1) Parallel Runways. In the case of parallel runways, each runway
designation number is supplemented by a letter, in the order shown from left
to right when viewed from the direction of approach, as shown in the
following examples:

(i) For two parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 182
degrees, the
runways would be designated "18L," "18R."

(ii) For three parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 87
degrees, the
runways would be designated "9L," "9C," "9R."

(iii) For four parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 324
degrees,
the runways would be designated "32L," "32R," "33L," "33R."

(iv) For five parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 138
degrees, the
runways would be designated "13L," "13R," "14L," "14C," "14R."

(v) For six parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 83
degrees, the
runways would be designated "8L," "8C," "8R," "9L," "9C," "9R."

(vi) For seven parallel runways having a magnetic azimuth of 85
degrees, the
runways would be designated "8L," "8C," "8R," "9L," "9C," "9R," "10."

(2) There are some cases where parallel runway designation may not be
appropriate because of possible pilot confusion with the runway surface or
the distance between landing thresholds. For example a turf runway or a
visual runway, which is parallel to a higher precedence runway and has a
distance between the landing thresholds may have a different runway
designation, especially if the paved runway has a paved parallel taxiway.
Another example where a parallel runway designation may not be appropriate
is a situation where the parallel runways are separated by a large distance
with a terminal between them.

(3) The size and spacing of the numbers and letters are reduced only
when
necessary due to space limitations on narrow runways, and should be no
closer than 2 feet from the runway edge or side strips if present. The
numbers and letters are in the form and proportion shown in Figure 4.

Pilots Slick Piloting 4 November 20th 04 11:21 AM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Owning 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Piloting 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM