Runway ID

Old October 17th 05, 12:30 PM
Stefan

Default Runway ID

Lakeview Bill wrote:

The runway is NAMED Runway 5. Why would you prepend a zero to a NAME?

Because the ICAO standard says that a runway name has always two digits.
Why? To minimize the possibility of misunderstandings, especially with
pilots and/or controllers who don't speak English as their first
language and/or when the radio quality is marginal. As far as I know,
all countries adhere to this standard... well, all except one, of course.

Stefan
Old October 17th 05, 12:49 PM
GeorgeB

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:18:03 GMT, Jose
wrote:

This is correct rounding, but it is it what George stated. He stated
"round 1/2 to the EVEN number.", which would imply .245 - .26 which is
not true. What =is= true is
.245 - .25
.255 - .26
.265 - .27

This is not "rounding 1/2 to the even number".

Jose, you are with the majority, and you are with what it being taught
in today's schools until higher level mathematics.

The round (exactly) half to the even is correct.

0.2449 - 0.245 - 0.24 - 0.2 but the 0.24 is not for this rule,
rather because the full precision number was under 0.5

0.3499 - 0.350 - 0.35 - 0.3 but again, rule isn't applicable
0.3501 - 0.350 - 0.35 - 0.4 but rule isn't applicable

you have to round from the full precision to the final value in 1
step; the sequential above is interesting, but not as it is done for
the reasons obvious above.

0.5 (exactly) - 0.
1.5 (exactly) - 2.
2.5 (exactly) - 2.
3.5 (again, exactly) - 4

or, fwiw, 1234.5 - 1234. and 1235.5 - 1236.

It used to be taught that way in elementary school, but was changed
between when I went to school (1950s) and when my children went to
school (1990s).

My son has a math degree, and remarked about how higher level high
school and college profs complained about having to correct the
elementaty and middle teachers teaching, but that they taught what
they were given, so it wasn't their fault.
Old October 17th 05, 03:00 PM
Jose

0.5 (exactly) - 0.
1.5 (exactly) - 2.
2.5 (exactly) - 2.
3.5 (again, exactly) - 4

No.

0.5 (exactly) - 1.
1.5 (exactly) - 2.
2.5 (exactly) - 3.
3.5 (again, exactly) - 4.

Do you have a printed reference for what you espouse above?

Jose
Old October 17th 05, 04:03 PM
Gary Drescher

"GeorgeB" wrote in message
Jose, you are with the majority, and you are with what it being taught
in today's schools until higher level mathematics.

The round (exactly) half to the even is correct.

George, you're right that rounding is often performed as you say (i.e.,
exactly half rounds to the nearest even integer), for the reason you say (to
avoid statistical biasing). But I'd quibble about calling that "the" correct
way. The function round(x) can be defined in various standard ways, and
different ways can be more useful for different purposes, but there's no
sense in which one conventional definition is the unique correct one.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Nearest...rFunction.html

--Gary

Old October 18th 05, 12:27 AM
Mike W.

"Jose" wrote in message
If you have 0.245, it is 0.24 rounded to hundreths. How is that '5 goes

up?'

If you actually have 0.245, it is 0.25 rounded to hundredths. However,
if you actually have 0.2445, you do NOT have .0245 but a hair less than
that. In that case, you don't =have= a five to "go up".

If you took a big pile of numbers, rounded them all up, added them,
you would have a value that was way off of the true value of the sum.

True. But you don't round them all =up=. You round them all (to the
nearest). Only the ones that are ...5 and up get rounded up. The
others get truncated. Including ...0 which gets its zero truncated
(leaving the number unchanged).

0.247 - 0.25 0.255 - 0.26 is that what you mean? That's exactly

what I
stated.

This is correct rounding, but it is it what George stated. He stated
"round 1/2 to the EVEN number.", which would imply .245 - .26 which is
not true. What =is= true is
.245 - .25
.255 - .26
.265 - .27

You don't round them all up? That is exactly what you are doing in your
example above.

If the digit before the last is even, and the last is five, you round DOWN
(0.245 - 0.24) If the digit before the last is odd and the last is five,
you round up. (0.255 - 0.26).

Bear with me and look at these two examples. The one on the left is a
summation of the example you have above. The one on the right is 'my' way. I
am just summing the original values and the rounded values at the bottom.

.245 - .25 .245 - .24
.255 - .26 .255 - .26
+ .265 - .27 + .265 - .26
------------ ------------
.765 - .78 .765 - .76

You can see where this will get you very quickly if you use the way you
propose.

Of course our original discussion started off regarding rounding a single
number and doing nothing with it, this is just a point of interest.

Old October 18th 05, 12:53 AM
GeorgeB

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:03:57 -0400, "Gary Drescher"
wrote:

"GeorgeB" wrote in message
.. .
Jose, you are with the majority, and you are with what it being taught
in today's schools until higher level mathematics.

The round (exactly) half to the even is correct.

George, you're right that rounding is often performed as you say (i.e.,
exactly half rounds to the nearest even integer), for the reason you say (to
avoid statistical biasing). But I'd quibble about calling that "the" correct
way. The function round(x) can be defined in various standard ways, and
different ways can be more useful for different purposes, but there's no
sense in which one conventional definition is the unique correct one.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Nearest...rFunction.html

That, and Mathematica, were what I was going to reference; however,
you are correct that I had my head up that smelly place to consider it
to be "the" correct way. I've it even further up that smelly place to
get off on this when the question was on naming runways based on their
magnetic heading ... which is not a constant thing in the short or
long term, so what to do with a 5 is absolutely not going to be based
on EXACTLY anything.

Thanks for saying it so well.

George

Pilots Slick Piloting 4 November 20th 04 11:21 AM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Owning 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Piloting 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM