Blanik L-13 Tow Out Gear

Old June 5th 05, 03:38 PM

Default Blanik L-13 Tow Out Gear

Looking for help with designs for making tow out gear for a Blanik
L-13. Has anybody already done this? Suggestions or contacts from
those that have would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Idaho

Old June 5th 05, 05:24 PM
stephanevdv

We used to have two Blaniks. We made a trailer for the complete glider,
with a tilting mechanism and a hand winch to load the glider, and with
two lifting arms to support the wings.

It worked fine on a hard surface, and was even usable on grass (rigid
axle, no suspension). You just had to drive slowly! We had one glider
airborne when the towcar went a bit too fast...

When we sold the Blaniks, we sold the trailer to another club, where it
still performs well with older glider types.

See the fotoalbum of http://www.dewouw.net/zweefvliegsectie/ , look
under "op de piste". The picture is named "Ka 6 nat". (sorry, I
couldn't get the direct link to work)

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old June 5th 05, 08:28 PM
Wayne Paul

Tom's Blank's tie-down is located about 4,000 feet from the end of Nampa's
runway 29. I believe the original post is asking a source for a wing-wheel
and tail dolly. Or maybe there are other options that would allow towing an
assembled Blanik behind his jeep.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"stephanevdv" wrote in
message ...

Old June 6th 05, 06:36 AM
Bruce

Wayne Paul wrote:
Tom's Blank's tie-down is located about 4,000 feet from the end of Nampa's
runway 29. I believe the original post is asking a source for a wing-wheel
and tail dolly. Or maybe there are other options that would allow towing an
assembled Blanik behind his jeep.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

One of the members at our club has built an elaborate rig to allow him to tow
his L13 the 2km to our launch point. The long walk to freedom was getting
irritating...

I will see about some pictures on the club website.

Consists of a glass fibre cradle under the fuselage with a hub (off a Renault
Scenic) providing the pivot to the wheel. Wheel is a 5" pneumatic on a scissor
mount with gas struts.

The wing wheel also consists of a 2 piece glass fibre shell that clamps over the
tip of the wing. The wheel is again on gas struts.

We have a pretty rough field, so it is important to put the suspension in, and
still drive very slowly. (First gear, a little over walking speed) Even so you
sometimes see big impulses transmitted to the structure, captured on the
accelerometer...

"stephanevdv" wrote in
message ...

We used to have two Blaniks. We made a trailer for the complete glider,
with a tilting mechanism and a hand winch to load the glider, and with
two lifting arms to support the wings.

It worked fine on a hard surface, and was even usable on grass (rigid
axle, no suspension). You just had to drive slowly! We had one glider
airborne when the towcar went a bit too fast...

When we sold the Blaniks, we sold the trailer to another club, where it
still performs well with older glider types.

See the fotoalbum of http://www.dewouw.net/zweefvliegsectie/ , look
under "op de piste". The picture is named "Ka 6 nat". (sorry, I
couldn't get the direct link to work)

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they

fly -

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old June 8th 05, 04:40 AM
5Z

The Air Force Academy team at Hobbs is flying L-23s and have a pretty
neat tail dolly setup as their ships have non-swivelling tailwheels.
I'll try to take some photos and post them online as well.

-Tom