Another Addition to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!

Old January 19th 04, 11:04 PM
Lance W

"karel adams" wrote:

Crips, get a clue people....

PLOINK

Yes, Karel, I can understand your kill-filing "Tom Sixkiller". His
logic is flawed, his posts are childish, and his rabid over-the-top
support for Jay lost all effectiveness early in the thread.

Old January 19th 04, 11:34 PM
Jay Honeck

I grew tired of his constant updates a while ago, and I
think most people did. I also think that the majority
decided as I did to toss his name into the killfile rather
than waste everybodies time complaining.

Boy, I go away for a couple of days, and look at the brouhaha! (Spell THAT
one without a chell-specker! :-)

It's probably a waste of electrons explaining why I'm doing the Rogues
Gallery, but I'll try anyway. Here goes:

1. The strength of these newsgroups is the fact that they are text-based but
NOT instantaneous.
2. Unfortunately, this fact renders them "flat" and "2-dimensional". No
pictures means no airplanes!
3. Jav Henderson, a long-time contributor to these groups, kindly hosts the
webpage, and has done so since Day One. He provides the bandwidth for our
Rogue's Gallery, free of charge, so that all of us can post pictures of what
we fly.
4. I really, REALLY like aviation. I've pretty much mortgaged my future on
a stupid dream to create an aviation-themed hotel, simply because I think
it's cool.
5. I have NO notion of "getting rich" doing it. Anyone in the lodging
industry can verify that owning a 27-suite hotel ain't gonna generate big
bucks.

The Rogue's Gallery exists because it needs to. I've become good friends
with people from all over the world through this forum, and have learned
more about flying here than anywhere else -- and I want to see what they
look like, and what they are flying. The fact that over 60 pilots, from all
over the world, have sent in photos of their planes for inclusion in the
Rogue's Gallery indicates that I am not alone in my sentiment.

The closest I get to "Spam" (as I understand it) is when I post an
announcement that a new suite has been finished. You should know, however,
that I post them here because I'm jazzed at all the cool airplane stuff
we've put together, and hope that you are, too! Remember, the coolest stuff
we've put in the hotel has been DONATED to us by people who are just as nuts
about airplanes as we are, but don't want their memorabilia to end up in the
trash when they die. Witness Bob Morgan's "Memphis Belle" stuff, Bill Fox's
SR-71 Blackbird and U-2 stuff, the MATS Constellation stuff, and (most
recently) Vlado Lenoch's P-51 Mustang stuff. These people didn't have to
give us anything -- but just they know what we're trying to create, and want
other pilots and aviation enthusiasts to enjoy and remember.

In closing, for those who STILL think I'm "spamming" here, read this: If
any of you come to visit, well that's just great, I'll buy you a beer -- but
it really doesn't matter. Newsgroup participants have been (and will be) an
immeasurably small percentage of our guest-count.

In the meantime, if any of you want pictures of YOUR pride and joy posted
for the rest of us to see, send 'em to me at , and
I'll post 'em! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Jay Honeck

The problem comes
when such a website attempts to increase exposure by posting frequent
"update" notices to usenet. As can be seen by the responses in this
thread, some people view such update notices as an advertising ploy
and resent it. In this thread I count six in favor, four against, and
two suggesting biweekly or monthly update notices. If your intention
is to please a relatively small group of "rogue gallery" participants
at the risk of ****ing off a silent majority then by all means
continue.

Hi Lance,

Believe it or not, I've posted the frequent updates because I wanted the
people who sent me their photos to know I'd actually posted them. Sometimes
I've had to "sit" on their photos for a week or more, until I had time to
update the Rogue's Gallery, and I wanted the participants to see them and
know I hadn't forgotten them.

I apologize if these posts have seemed excessive, but I truly thought that
everyone here would be interested in seeing the new additions...

I'm eternally amazed at my ability to inadvertently **** people off. (Mary
is, too! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 19th 04, 11:47 PM
Tom Dukerich

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:34:32 +0000, Jay Honeck wrote:

5. I have NO notion of "getting rich" doing it. Anyone in the lodging
industry can verify that owning a 27-suite hotel ain't gonna generate big
bucks.

Yahoo weather shows a high of 17 F and low of 5 F in Iowa City.
Gentle ribbing, thanks for the Gallery :-)
Old January 19th 04, 11:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Yahoo weather shows a high of 17 F and low of 5 F in Iowa City.

Yeah, well, it's warmer here than it was in Wisconsin! Darn near froze my
pitot tube off pre-flighting in Lake Geneva this morning...

;-)

Gentle ribbing, thanks for the Gallery :-)

You're welcome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 19th 04, 11:57 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tom Dukerich" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:34:32 +0000, Jay Honeck wrote:

5. I have NO notion of "getting rich" doing it. Anyone in the lodging
industry can verify that owning a 27-suite hotel ain't gonna generate

big
bucks.

Yahoo weather shows a high of 17 F and low of 5 F in Iowa City.
Gentle ribbing, thanks for the Gallery :-)

See!! He ain't going to get RICH or WARM!!

Old January 20th 04, 12:05 AM
Jim Weir

It's a talent, Jay. Cultivate it and watch it grow. I know I have.

{;-)

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 20th 04, 12:10 AM
Chuck

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

snip

Hi Lance,

Believe it or not, I've posted the frequent updates because I wanted the
people who sent me their photos to know I'd actually posted them.

Sometimes
I've had to "sit" on their photos for a week or more, until I had time to
update the Rogue's Gallery, and I wanted the participants to see them and
know I hadn't forgotten them.

I apologize if these posts have seemed excessive, but I truly thought that
everyone here would be interested in seeing the new additions...

I'm eternally amazed at my ability to inadvertently **** people off.

(Mary
is, too! :-)
--

Hey Jay..

Keep up the good work...

Personally, I feel that your updates are not too frequent, although I did
see a suggestion that may be a good idea. It was to list your updates once a
month or so.

I enjoy viewing your webpage and all of the different pics and videos that
you have for us to enjoy with you.

Thanks for the hard work that goes into your webpage, and I still plan to
drive to Iowa City and check out your hotel.

Don't let a few assholes ruin it for all of us.

Old January 20th 04, 12:17 AM
My Thoughts Exactly

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

See!! He ain't going to get RICH or WARM!!

You talk too much.