Another Addition to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!

Old January 22nd 04, 02:27 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:AKPPb.122190$8H.311989@attbi_s03...
Because, while it's easy, it wouldn't solve what some see
as the problem.

Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,

Yes, it does. Thanks, Sydney.

Although (as always happens when an uproar like this starts rolling along)
I've now got a back-log of photos and bios from eager contributors to

upload
to the Gallery, I will try to keep their announcements to a minimum.

It's a real shame that this site -- created solely for users of this
forum -- is being painted with the same brush as commercial sites, but I
*do* see your point. It's a slippery slope from announcing the Rogue's
Gallery additions to allowing other sites with more tangential (I.E.:
commercial) connections -- and then all we'll have here is a newsgroups

full
of commercial announcements. I, too, have seen this happen to other
newsgroups, and it destroys the group.

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

That's obvious to even the most casual observation, Jay.

Thanks a bunch for all your unappreciated efforts.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:29 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Remember, too, that some people have the notion that time spent in a NG
produces some sort of squatters rights.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:
Sydney wrote:
Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,

Yes, it does. Thanks, Sydney.

My thanks, too, Sydney, for taking the time to explain so eloquently.

Although (as always happens when an uproar like this starts rolling along)
I've now got a back-log of photos and bios from eager contributors to upload
to the Gallery, I will try to keep their announcements to a minimum.

Thanks, Jay. I knew you were a reasonable fellow.

snip

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

Indeed. I'm quite sure that's the case.

Now let's get back to aviation. :-)

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

Old January 22nd 04, 07:05 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:AKPPb.122190$8H.311989@attbi_s03...
Because, while it's easy, it wouldn't solve what some see
as the problem.

..
Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,

Yes, it does. Thanks, Sydney.

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped.

It's always a problem when an issue like this comes up;
it can be hard for folks to recognize that they aren't
all operating from the same information or premises,
insults start flying, "ah the humanity" *g*

It's a real shame that this site -- created solely for users of this
forum -- is being painted with the same brush as commercial sites, but I
*do* see your point.

Yeah. I personally see it as on the "OK" side of the line,
but I think I understand where people are coming from who see it
differently and I do think it's worthwhile to respect their POV.

Because in the big picture what matters isn't really how you or
I see it, but how others who might be coming to the group with
a product to advertise are gonna see it. So it seems like if
it's a small thing to change why not accomodate. My $0.02 anyway.

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

I never doubted that, which is why I hung in and kept talking

Best,
Sydney
Old January 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
RU ok

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

I never doubted that, which is why I hung in and kept talking

Best,
Sydney

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And that is why I stayed the helloutofit. g

Barnyard BOb

Old January 24th 04, 06:51 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:54:56 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Because, while it's easy, it wouldn't solve what some see
as the problem.

Hope this helps clarify the issues for some,

Yes, it does. Thanks, Sydney.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with posting non
commercial items on a commercial site.

I have my own dot come, but as I have nothing to sell, no adds, and
only personal *stuff* or local EAA chapter *stuff*, it's a non
commercial dot com.

However to those commercial sites that host charitable, or non
commercial adventures without adds there should be no problem.

Although (as always happens when an uproar like this starts rolling along)
I've now got a back-log of photos and bios from eager contributors to upload
to the Gallery, I will try to keep their announcements to a minimum.

It's a real shame that this site -- created solely for users of this
forum -- is being painted with the same brush as commercial sites, but I

I have difficulty seeing how it could be painted that way by any one
who looks at it.

Many commercial sites host user sites and although the users are non
commercial, the site is under the commercial sites dot com.

We have several here. Some put adds on the users sites as part of the
TOS even though they are non commercial ventures.

*do* see your point. It's a slippery slope from announcing the Rogue's
Gallery additions to allowing other sites with more tangential (I.E.:

As long as there is a distinction between the commercial part of the
site and the gallery there should be no slippery slope.

commercial) connections -- and then all we'll have here is a newsgroups full
of commercial announcements. I, too, have seen this happen to other
newsgroups, and it destroys the group.

I see a large distinction between a commercial site hosting a non
commercial venture and those of a commercial nature.

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

Jay, those of us who understand, need no explanation and those who
don't, never will no matter how much explanation you give.

Some probably would find fault even if it were a completely non
commercial site, just due to the repetition.

For the sensitive types, you could just make a weekly announcement
although for them monthly would probably be too much.

Although I understand the enthusiasm, "were it me" and it's not, I'd
just make a weekly announcement of updates. Besides, it's less
work:-)).

I take care of four sites (all non commercial) and keeping them
up-to-date takes quite a few hours. Plus on my own I get to practice
new programs and techniques. For me, the programming is more play.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 24th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

Although I understand the enthusiasm, "were it me" and it's not, I'd
just make a weekly announcement of updates. Besides, it's less
work:-)).

Thanks for the support, Roger. I was truly taken aback by the ferocity of
the opposition to the Rogue's Gallery announcements.

My problem is that my days are incredibly disjointed, yet filled to
over-flowing. As a result, I'll spend an hour adding someone's pix to the
gallery -- in 5 minute increments, spread over half a day. For me to
actually remember doing this a week or a month later is difficult. Then for
me to then remember to post an update HERE a week or a month later is almost
impossible to imagine.

This was the reason for the frequent updates -- I simply didn't want to
forget someone's addition.

Now, true, I can do like Sydney (and others) have suggested, and paste the
person's name, etc., into a text file, for future updates. But that just
adds one more level of complexity I really don't need to an endeavor that
nets me nothing but ever-diminishing personal satisfaction.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 04, 03:02 PM
Cy Galley

The part that bothers me the most is NO ONE complained about the multitude
of messages when Jay compiled the museum list with his signature on the
bottom of each. But publish member's pictures and bitter complaints just
poured in. The shear number of the mean spirited comments was overwhelming
and dis-heartening for this caring for flyers program.

I thought we had a band of brothers all supporting and sharing our love of
the skies. How else can we get into the skies except with our planes? I was
surprised by the original instigator that told me at Oshkosh that he ignored
any thread after about 4 messages as it was then it went off topic. Yet the
discussion has gone over 100 messages.

No one complains about the excessive XXXZoomerXXX messages which should have
been dropped by BOTH sides many years ago. They make good reading but do
little to promote aviation.

Is there a bunch of RAHer's than are jealous that some members do more than
just fly? That they have a way to support their passion?

I suppose that my signature is out of place as well as I ask for articles to
publish in the Safety Section of the Experimenter.

By the way, I'd be tickled pink that no one used the Emergency Aircraft
Repair facilities at Oshkosh. But just like the motel, it is there when you
need it.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter soon to be Sport Pilot

Old January 24th 04, 05:40 PM
Badwater Bill

Please be aware, all, that I created the Rogue's Gallery with the best of
intentions.

That's obvious Jay. These assholes just have to have something to
bitch about. If it weren't you, it would be somebody else.

BWB