Orlando Crash Video

Old January 19th 05, 08:51 AM
Hilton

Jay,

Jay Honeck wrote:
Whether his decision to avoid the pickup truck was stupid or not, he

gave
his life in missing it.

Jay, I never claimed anything the CFI did was "stupid".

I know.

But some have implied it was.

And, you know, maybe it was. But he had only a few seconds to make a
choice, and -- "there but for the grace of God" -- that could have been

any
of us.

I am fascinated by a pilot's decision making. I have done 'stupid' things -
one made me go get my Instrument Rating. I sit in pilot meetings - the
speaker reads an accident report and the pilots kinda chuckle with a "I
would never do that!" look - but I bet the accident pilot would have thought
the same. I think if we can fix this broken part of flying, we could
seriously improve the statistics.

Hilton

Old January 19th 05, 07:17 PM
Ditch

the
speaker reads an accident report and the pilots kinda chuckle with a "I
would never do that!" look - but I bet the accident pilot would have thought
the same. I think if we can fix this broken part of flying, we could
seriously improve the statistics.

Yea...but how? I'm now the Safety Officer at the small cargo company I work for
and this is a problem we have. We are a safe company, but I see it in the
pilot's lounge in the morning...if an accident comes up I hear a lot "what an
idiot, why did he do that?!?" rolling their eyes type of thing.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old January 21st 05, 12:21 AM
Cockpit Colin

Even a good dial up should be able to move that in a little under an hour.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Secondly, I have to agree with Martin in that "huge" is somewhat
'relative' - for example, I routinely work with video files in the range
of
13 to 20 Giga bytes, which I think of as normal - so I tend to think of
your
'huge' 14MB as being 'trivial' (took less than 2 1/2 minutes to

download).

Well, for the 70% of American internet users still on dial-up connections,

14 mb file will take all day to download.

That's "huge" for most people!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 21st 05, 12:27 AM
Cockpit Colin

The same could be said of the fatal Aryton Senna accident (for you Formula
One fans). OK, he was going substantially faster and hit a concrete wall,
but I don't think anyone was expecting anything bad at all - I still
remember watching the accident on TV - bummer he hit the wall, I guess

he's
outa the race, that wasn't too bad, he'll just hop out once he's undone

his
steering wheel, any minute now, anytime now, soon, gees I hope he's OK. I
think the conscensus afterwards was that his front-right wheel sheered off
and impacted his helmet (please correct me if I'm wrong). I guess

sometimes
you get lucky, and sometimes you get unlucky.

F1 is a religion to me - I'm a MS Fan (who incidentally was behind Aryton
at the time).

I'm reminded of a motorist who wears a crash helmet whilst driving -
everyone thinks it's "over the top" - interesting that his occupation is
Neurosurgeon - the guy who gets to deal with all the head trauma from the
MVA.

I've read somewhere of a plan (by some manufacturer) to put an airbag in an
aircraft - don't know any more details.

Old January 21st 05, 03:09 AM
Morgans

"Cockpit Colin" wrote

I'm reminded of a motorist who wears a crash helmet whilst driving -
everyone thinks it's "over the top" - interesting that his occupation is
Neurosurgeon - the guy who gets to deal with all the head trauma from the
MVA.

I've read somewhere of a plan (by some manufacturer) to put an airbag in

an
aircraft - don't know any more details.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm thinking now of Dale Earnhart. Suppose we all should wear a Hans
Device in the plane?

Tough part is knowing where to stop. Odds of a bad impact are pretty great
in a race car. I wonder how much less in a single engine plane?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 21st 05, 03:30 AM
John Doe

So your point is that there is no such thing as context?

Firstly, thanks Jay for putting the file up.

From: "Cockpit Colin"
From: "Cockpit Colin" spam @nospam.com
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Orlando Crash Video
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:49:01 +1300

C172 Plane crash Orlando, FL CFLav8r Piloting 25 January 15th 05 08:54 PM
HARRIER CRASH - video Don Tuite Owning 0 October 25th 04 10:08 PM
CRASH: Harrier down (video included) Maule Driver Piloting 3 October 23rd 04 09:23 AM
Video link - no crash zatatime Piloting 4 October 19th 04 04:10 PM
Helicopter crash video James Blakely Piloting 17 December 30th 03 03:21 PM