Pee tube system for ASW-27

Old May 20th 05, 06:21 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 04:30 19 May 2005, Bumper wrote:

Okay, I posted some pics to the glider forum. Look
in albums by 'bumper'
/relief system.

Anybody ever run water with colored vegetable dye through
one of these to see where the fluid actually goes?
I've heard stories of pee getting sucked back into
the rudder bellcranks and hinges with highly corrosive
effect.

I just carry a couple of medical leg bags behind my
right elbow and dump them when I get back on the ground
The are very tough, well-sealed vinyl - no muss, no
fuss.

9B

Old May 20th 05, 06:41 AM
bumper

Yup, that's the way to do it. I mix up a fairly strong solution of food
coloring and water and dump ballast to be sure nothing gets on the fuselage
or tail wheel area.

bumper

Old May 20th 05, 07:12 AM
Marc Ramsey

Andy Blackburn wrote:
Anybody ever run water with colored vegetable dye through
one of these to see where the fluid actually goes?

No need for dye, just use the real thing...

I've heard stories of pee getting sucked back into
the rudder bellcranks and hinges with highly corrosive
effect.

I used the factory through the floor pee-tube system in my DG-101 for
one season, the belly developed a nice stain all the way back to the
tail, and the next annual found corrosion on both the CG hook and the
rudder bellcranks. I switched over to a leg bag the next season.

The suggested solutions here, however, are using much longer rigid
tubes, in an effort dump the fluid farther out in the air stream. This
may well work...

I just carry a couple of medical leg bags behind my
right elbow and dump them when I get back on the ground
The are very tough, well-sealed vinyl - no muss, no
fuss.

For me, the problem with bags is that I have experienced a fairly
significant rate of failure. If things aren't going my way, the bag
will simply refuse to admit fluid, typically with amusing results...

Marc
Old May 20th 05, 02:00 PM
Glen Kelley

FWIW, I have had the rudder off the hinges and the tailwheel out of its
bracket. No yellow stains anywhere. The rigid tube is sticking at least
14" below the belly of the aircraft.

I especially like not having to wear a catheter, yet still having a positive
seal.

Glen
"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
. ..

Old May 20th 05, 04:41 PM
Eric Greenwell

Glen Kelley wrote:
FWIW, I have had the rudder off the hinges and the tailwheel out of its
bracket. No yellow stains anywhere. The rigid tube is sticking at least
14" below the belly of the aircraft.

The amount of extension needed may vary from glider to glider. 8" has
proven sufficient on my ASH 26, and that's short enough that I can just
retract it until flush, and not have to remove it entirely. The bulb
just lies off to the side, so I don't have to find a place to store it,
and it's bit quicker and less distracting to use without the need to
insert it first.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old May 21st 05, 12:35 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 16:00 20 May 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:

8' has proven sufficient on my ASH 26, and that's short
enough that I can just
retract it until flush, and not have to remove it entirely.

Sounds painful - and I'm not sure everyone has 8' to
work with.

9B

Old May 21st 05, 12:44 AM
Eric Greenwell

Andy Blackburn wrote:
At 16:00 20 May 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:

8' has proven sufficient on my ASH 26, and that's short
enough that I can just
retract it until flush, and not have to remove it entirely.

Sounds painful - and I'm not sure everyone has 8' to
work with.

Just what kind of people are they letting into gliders these days?! Why,
when I was a young'un....

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old May 21st 05, 04:04 PM
Jack

"Sounds painful - and I'm not sure everyone has 8' to
work with.

9B "

Apparently, not a Texan...

Jack Womack
AZ

Old May 26th 05, 01:54 PM
Papa3

I use the "tube-within-a-tube" model with good results:

- Two different diameters of semi-rigid polyethylene tubing
- Outer tube glassed into fuselage bottom (turned a small flange out of
thin plywood steamed to match curvature of fuselage, epoxied tube into
flange, then glassed whole thing into fuselage - just to be sure)
- Nested (inside) tube can be extended about 8"-10" into slipstream
- About 18" of flexible rubber tubing connects inside tube to catheter,
allowing you to stay "hooked up" for the entire flight

I had the rudder off this fall for some tail ballast mods, and there is zero
corrosion on the tailwheel or rudder hardware. Same for the main gear.
Plus, it drains completly due to the orientation of the tubes (ie. no sags
to promote pooling).

Only trick is to remember to retract the tube prior to landing.
Otherwise, you get a literal demonstration of the term "stepping on it."

P3 (or should I say Pee3)

Old June 11th 05, 03:18 PM
Tim Mara

look at my web page (copied from Aeox)
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm and the flow charts for even normal
constant flow systems (using Oxysaver cannulas) will show you over 46 hours
usage at 10,000'....and over 25 hours at 15,000'
all without using any electronic devices....the advantage (small) of the EDS
is that you don't need to set the flow rates manually to get these higher
durations.but the simple and reliable constant flow systems cost under 1/2
as much as the electronic systems and are simple and can easily fit all the
components )(less bottle size of your choice) into a large sandwich bag!
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at:
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Glen Kelley wrote:
FWIW, I have had the rudder off the hinges and the tailwheel out of its
bracket. No yellow stains anywhere. The rigid tube is sticking at least
14" below the belly of the aircraft.

The amount of extension needed may vary from glider to glider. 8" has
proven sufficient on my ASH 26, and that's short enough that I can just
retract it until flush, and not have to remove it entirely. The bulb just
lies off to the side, so I don't have to find a place to store it, and
it's bit quicker and less distracting to use without the need to insert it
first.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Air defense (naval and air force) Mike Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Naval air defense Mike Naval Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Air Force Helper 2000 tomcat Naval Aviation 0 June 9th 04 11:54 PM