A rare news article

Old September 5th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A rare news article

S. Idaho town could get new airport

09:14 AM MDT on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Associated Press

BURLEY - The southern Idaho town of Burley has proposed replacing its
airport because the existing facility doesn't meet federal safety
standards.

City officials say the project to build a new airport will be an
economic boon to the region -- if it comes to pass.

Currently, the environmental impact is being assessed, including
whether or not it will impact wetlands.

Still, Marty Gergen, the project engineer, says, "It's to allow for
economic development and to allow for business jets that the existing
airport" can't accommodate.

Proponents of a new airport say they hope to select a site for the
project within the next 15 months

Old September 6th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Ever hail a cab in a
town of 2,000 people?

Yes. But usually there's a courtesy car or someone who's willing
to give you a lift in these small towns.
Old September 7th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

09:14 AM MDT on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Associated Press

BURLEY - The southern Idaho town of Burley has proposed replacing its
airport because the existing facility doesn't meet federal safety
standards.

City officials say the project to build a new airport will be an
economic boon to the region -- if it comes to pass.

I've been there a few times. They used to have their own FSS back in the
days before consolidation. I kinda like the existing airport. It's close
to town, so overnight stops aren't much of a hassle. On the rare occasion
when a town builds a new airport, they often do it so far away from the town
that getting to and from the airport is impractical. Ever hail a cab in a
town of 2,000 people?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

When I was flying back from Nebraska with my mechanic in the Navion
after a restoration with NO radios (well, we had hand helds) we decided
to land in Centerville Iowa because they had a steak house. I called
the steak house and asked how to call a cab. They informed me
Centerville didn't have cabs, but they'd be out to pick us up and would
take us to the motel after dinner. We had a great stay. Now if we'd
been thinking we would have noticed that the lamp in the FBO was on and
although the airport was deserted as it was the next day, the door was
open and there was plenty of food and beverage around as well as a price
list and a coffee can. It was great.

Margy
Old September 7th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...
JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Ever hail a cab in a
town of 2,000 people?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

When I was flying back from Nebraska with my mechanic in the Navion after
a restoration with NO radios (well, we had hand helds) we decided to land
in Centerville Iowa because they had a steak house. I called the steak
house and asked how to call a cab. They informed me Centerville didn't
have cabs, but they'd be out to pick us up and would take us to the motel
after dinner. We had a great stay. Now if we'd been thinking we would
have noticed that the lamp in the FBO was on and although the airport was
deserted as it was the next day, the door was open and there was plenty of
food and beverage around as well as a price list and a coffee can. It was
great.

I've spent the past nine years flying into all sorts of Midwestern
backwaters and never got stranded.

A few time, airport crews have given us rides into town since they were
"...going that way", or, often, just wanting to talk about our airplane or
tell us the history of their town...

With a VERY FEW exceptions, Midwestern folks are the most hospitable and
accommodating people anywhere.

Why, even that snooty Jay Honeck is really just a "good 'ol boy". :~)

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.