And a boat - Cuckoo1.jpg (1/1) [635K]

Old September 8th 14, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default And a boat - Cuckoo1.jpg (1/1) [635K]

The vessel in the attached photo is probably not a prime example of the
boat-builder's craft but at least it's on-topic here.

It's a member of the RAF's Cuckoo class of unmanned (and unpowered) air-sea
rescue vessels, of which 16 were moored in the English Channel during WW2.
The idea was that aircraft which couldn't make it home would ditch nearby,
the crew would clamber aboard and await rescue. The boats had 6 bunks, dry
clothing, food and water, signal flares etc. They don't seem to have been
used much in practice although, allegedly, German E-boats visited
occasionally to borrow some of the stores.

I'd never heard of such things until I came across this particular example a
few months ago at the Irvine site of the Scottish Maritime Museum. It's the
only survivor and is serialled ASR10.

If anyone's interested, more information is available at the following URLs:

http://www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ASR10.pdf

http://www.scubadolphins.org.uk/club/cuckoo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuckoo1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	70030
Old September 9th 14, 03:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay[_2_]

Netko wrote in
:

The vessel in the attached photo is probably not a prime example of
the boat-builder's craft but at least it's on-topic here.

It's a member of the RAF's Cuckoo class of unmanned (and unpowered)
air-sea rescue vessels, of which 16 were moored in the English Channel
during WW2. The idea was that aircraft which couldn't make it home
would ditch nearby, the crew would clamber aboard and await rescue.
The boats had 6 bunks, dry clothing, food and water, signal flares
etc. They don't seem to have been used much in practice although,
allegedly, German E-boats visited occasionally to borrow some of the
stores.

I'd never heard of such things until I came across this particular
example a few months ago at the Irvine site of the Scottish Maritime
Museum. It's the only survivor and is serialled ASR10.

Attachment decoded: Cuckoo1.jpg
--HW.D033D7F3000DF77BB01029BF--

Nice shot, glad to see one saved.
I can,t remember offhand, where read it, but I can recall
of a bomber crew that made use of one, and before the rescue
were picked up by the Germans,
(now going to have to try and find the reference..cause it will bug me
until I do.)

canard flying boat Darrel Toepfer Home Built 14 October 19th 15 07:37 AM
Plane Boat PilotJedi Aviation Photos 0 June 30th 14 02:16 PM
Art - 'RAAF Sunderland flying boat attacking U-Boat' Dennis Adams 1967 Dave Kearton[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 June 12th 09 05:56 AM
H-16 flying boat Terry M[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 May 18th 08 03:35 AM
so you need a new boat? John Miller Naval Aviation 7 January 2nd 04 03:58 PM