Paintjobs 24 - P 40 b.jpg (1/1)

Old November 25th 14, 02:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

Default Paintjobs 24 - P 40 b.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P 40 b.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	71503
Old November 25th 14, 03:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay[_2_]

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

begin 644 P 40 b.jpg

Attachment decoded: P 40 b.jpg
`
end

The original P-40 with this ID HS-B was the one
found in the Egyptian desert in 2012 70 years after
it disappeared on a ferry flight to a repair depot..

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...cleType/Articl
eView/articleId/357/Original-Kittyhawk-HS-B-Discovered.aspx
Old November 26th 14, 02:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_8_]

John Szalay john.szalay.at.att.net wrote in
31:

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

begin 644 P 40 b.jpg

Attachment decoded: P 40 b.jpg
`
end

The original P-40 with this ID HS-B was the one
found in the Egyptian desert in 2012 70 years after
it disappeared on a ferry flight to a repair depot..

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...articleType/Ar
ticl eView/articleId/357/Original-Kittyhawk-HS-B-Discovered.aspx

At least it doesn't have that overused
shark mouth thing.......

Old November 26th 14, 02:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay[_2_]

Mitchell Holman wrote in

At least it doesn't have that overused
shark mouth thing.......

One of the engineers I worked with for years was a P-40 & P-51
pilot with Chennault's air force in China, and he used to say the same
thing. It bothered him when everyone else used the shark motif without
asking permission from the veterans.

Old November 26th 14, 05:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 26/11/2014 13:32, John Szalay wrote:
Mitchell Holman wrote in

At least it doesn't have that overused
shark mouth thing.......

One of the engineers I worked with for years was a P-40 & P-51
pilot with Chennault's air force in China, and he used to say the same
thing. It bothered him when everyone else used the shark motif without
asking permission from the veterans.

Agreed.

P-40s first saw combat with the British Commonwealth squadrons of the
Desert Air Force in the Middle East and North African campaigns, during
June 1941. No.112 Squadron Royal Air Force, was among the first to
operate Tomahawks in North Africa and the unit was the first Allied
military aviation unit to feature the "shark mouth" logo, copying
similar markings on some Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Bf 110 twin-engine
fighters from II Gruppe/Zerstörergeschwader 76.

Inspired by 112 Squadron's usage of them in North Africa, and by the
Luftwaffe's earlier use of it, both via Allied wartime newspaper and
magazine article images, the "shark mouth" logo on the sides of the
P-40's nose was most famously used on those of the Flying Tigers in China.

Ri©ardo
--
Moving Things In Still Pictures
Old November 26th 14, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-26 13:32:13 +0000, John Szalay john.szalay.at.att.net said:

Mitchell Holman wrote in

At least it doesn't have that overused
shark mouth thing.......

One of the engineers I worked with for years was a P-40 & P-51
pilot with Chennault's air force in China, and he used to say the same
thing. It bothered him when everyone else used the shark motif without
asking permission from the veterans.

Why would anybody need to get veteran approval?

That is a degree of elitism which is not justified, considering the AVG
lifted the "Shark" motif from the RAF P-40s used in North Africa & the
Mediterranean. So it was not unique to the AVG regardless of the
association.
Then many of the USAAF P-40's used in Australia and New Guinea also
used similar toothy motifs. That intake was a natural for that sort of
thing.
There were even some P-38s which used it. More recently A-10s and
AH-64s have used it.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old November 26th 14, 06:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 26/11/2014 16:17, ®i©ardo wrote:
[...]

Here is a picture of a P40 in the colours of 112 Squadron showing those
tiger teeth.

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Curtis Kittyhawk 01.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	71541
Old November 27th 14, 09:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:17:05 +0000, ®i©ardo
wrote:

[...]

Pretty sure I've seen a photo of a WWI aircraft painted with a
sharkmouth.

Warriors using paint and masks to enhance their warriorness dates back
at least a few (thousnad) years before that.

I want to see a great white shark with a P-40 painted on its nose...
Old November 27th 14, 10:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

wrote:

[...]

There's one he

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/53384-the-flying-shark-mouth/

Warriors using paint and masks to enhance their warriorness dates back
at least a few (thousnad) years before that.

I want to see a great white shark with a P-40 painted on its nose...

Some people do go a bit over the top, though:

http://airsoc.com/articles/view/id/5...mouth-markings

;-)

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures
Old November 27th 14, 03:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

wrote:

[...]

Actually, that doesn't look too bad. Being realistic, as an aviator, would you
want to fly a Lancaster with shark mouths or a more appropriate image of a water
buffalo?

Yes, grin, I know what my choice would be!

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures