LX-Nano to SN-10B

Old August 21st 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Default LX-Nano to SN-10B

So... has anybody successfully gotten the LX-Nano to be the GPS source for the SN-10? I've made my own RJ-45 cables to connect the two, but the SN-10 refuses to acknowledge that there's a GPS attached. My volkslogger blew up last spring, and we've not been able to make any use of the SN-10, outside of the speed to fly function which still works.

I feel like kind of a pioneer here, except a lot less smart.

I wired the Nano to the SN-10 with the wiring instructions on page 12 of the Nano handbook. Set the baud rate on both ends to 19200 (also tried 4800), NMEA. No soup.

Anybody got any ideas?

I have some bad feeling that it could be because of these reasons that I haven't yet successfully eliminated as possibilities, (ranked by most likely to least likely):

1) I'm not actually wiring it up in the way that I think I'm wiring it up
2) there's something subtle and different in the NMEA sentence structure between the Nano and the SN-10 that won't be fixed by wiring.
3) the SN-10 is busted somehow.
4) The USB-to-serial cable that comes with the Nano is busted somehow.

If there is anybody out there who has successfully paired these two devices before, I'd really like to know -- that way I can eliminate possibility #2 above.
Old August 22nd 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 08/21/2012 1:54 PM, Piet Barber wrote:
[...]

Hi Piet, I am not familiar with either piece of hardware so the
following is just a general statement that applies when connecting any
instruments together. My best guess is that you either have the baud
rate set incorrectly (settings on both units have to match), or the
cable you made has the RX and TX pins reversed from what is needed. You
can probably find the information on how to set the baud rates as well
as the pin-outs for the cables in the manuals of each instrument.

Good Luck,
Luke Szczepaniak
Old August 22nd 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 08/22/2012 10:18 AM, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
[...]

D'oh, I just re-read your message, please ignore my comments...
Old August 22nd 12, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:54:40 PM UTC-4, Piet Barber wrote:
So... has anybody successfully gotten the LX-Nano to be the GPS source for the SN-10?

Dave Nadler designed the excellent SN-10...you should contact him at . While you are there, be sure to pick up a new Antares 23 for your soaring pleasure.

Old August 22nd 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Piet Barber wrote:
[...]

Page 12 of the manual is not wiring instructions it's just pinouts of the
nano power/converter cable. So how exactly have you wired these together?
You should be connecting the nano RS-232 level transmit to the SN-10
receive and the nano RS-232 level receive to the SN-10 transmit and
connecting the nano ground to the SN-10. Leave everything else
disconnected. Is that the cable you built? It is not uncommon to mis-crimp
telco/modular connectors where the pins might be pushed down but not make
proper contact with the wire, especially for new users or cheaper crimp
tools. Can you see the pin/blade going through the wire. Use a multimeter
to continuity check between the pins on each modular connector.

You have disabled Bluetooth on the nano, right?

Do you have a computer with a serial port or a USB to serial adapter you
know works? Of so you can wire up a cable between that and the Nano
converter cable, and use a terminal emulator on the computer to see if the
nano is working properly.

Darryl
Old August 22nd 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Luke,

I've helped a few customers connect NanoPower cables to ILEC SN10s with good
results.

My best guess is that the SN10 is not configured correctly. Or you have the
transmit and receive wires backwards. You must connect the receive line on
one end to the transmit line on the other end. You won't damage anything if
you get them backwards. If it doesn't work - swap them at one end (not
both).

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 16th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

OK, I got the SN-10B to the LX-Nano to work today.
It just was a matter of futzing around with the cables until I got it right.

I'm glad it worked out.
I actually danced around after getting it to work.

Thanks to everybody who helped with suggestions.

Old September 17th 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aviatrix

Once you got the nano connected to the ilec, could you make a declaration to the nano from the ilec?

Jenny
Old September 17th 12, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:54:09 PM UTC-4, Aviatrix wrote:
Once you got the nano connected to the ilec, could you make a declaration to the nano from the ilec?

By the time I got this working on Saturday, the flying day was getting shorter and shorter, and I just had to get up in the air to see the Nano - SN-10 basic functionality worked. So I didn't have much time to explore all of the other features of the setup.

I am NOT expecting this functionality to work, but have not tested it. I will reply later if it does work. The procedure with the Volkslogger and the SN-10 was to have the task programmed into the SN-10, then reboot the VL.. Once the VL was powering on, it has a short window where it will accept a task from the flight computer. I've never read anything in the nano documents about this functionality in the nano, so I'm not expecting this to work.

I don't have a windows laptop at the field, and the nano configuration program only runs in windows. I suppose, in theory, that I could generate a .cup file with other software on my Mac, and upload it to the nano, but I've never tested this functionality, either. I'm hoping the .cup file that gets generated from SeeYou or other software is the same .cup file format that the nano uses.

LX Nav Nano - now talks to Android Dave Springford Soaring 3 May 3rd 12 04:11 AM
Nano declarations Mike C Soaring 5 April 25th 12 02:18 AM
Impressions of the Colibri II and Nano... Sean F2 Soaring 3 April 7th 12 07:35 PM
Lx NANO and Windows 7 fcnorton Soaring 9 April 2nd 11 02:45 AM
Nano Logger Ed Soaring 7 September 10th 10 08:32 PM