cambridge 302a

Old January 25th 05, 05:10 PM
Nicola Botta

Default cambridge 302a

I would like to buy a flight recorder to use with an iPAQ 2210.

I am going to use the FR + PDA system on at least 3 different
gliders, LS8, Duo Discus and Discus.

I will buy either a Cambridge 302a, a Colibri or a Volkslogger.

I know many pilots using Volkslogger or Colibri but I am missing
experiences from 302a users.

If you are using some of these devices, I would appreciate your
remarks. I am particularly interested in the following issues:

1) the software you use.

2) your experience in using SeeYou mobile with the 302a.

3) the current the 302a needs (at 12V).

4) the length of the 302a.

The rationale behind the the last two issues is that the 302a
specifications I have downloaded from the Cambridge webpages
are quite puzzling:

The 302a manual reports 350 mA current at 12 V which is a lot
for a flight recorder ! The length is reported to be 136mm.

The 302 specification states "170 to 230 mA current, depending
on audio output. Add 130 mA for GPS Receiver" and 153mm length.
This suggests that the 302a figures could be wrong or obsolete.

I have sent a request for clarification to the Cambrige support
but I have received no answer so far.

I have asked Paul Remde of course. He has replied immediately
and provided solid support but he also hasn't a final answer
to the 350 mA issue.

best regards,
Nicola

Old January 25th 05, 06:05 PM
John Galloway

Nicola,

Our glider used a 302A last season. It worked flawlessly
and I have recently bought another one.

We used it to drive a Borgelt B2000 and a 1550 with
Glide Nav 11. The latest version of GN11 is set up
to interact fully with the 302. No experience of using
SeeYou Mobile with the 302A.

I too was puzzled by the stated power consumption of
the 302A and asked the UK service agent who replied:

The 350m/a consumption is a figure and based on the
302 - the actual consumption of a 302A is around 120m/a.

The case is 63 x 63 x 138mm - the same as a 302. The
original models had a bare metal case and no provision
for mounting apart from the panel screws. The new
one came with a crinkle black case (which should cut
down reflections if you mount it on the cockpit side)
and a screwhole and plastic screw in one side to fit
to a bracket.

John Galloway

Old January 25th 05, 11:17 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Nicola,

I'll forward your note to Gary Kammerer at Cambridge. He should be able to
clarify the current requirement question.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com