USA Team Online Archive Completed

Old January 22nd 05, 10:13 PM
John Seaborn

Default USA Team Online Archive Completed

USA Soaring Team Online Archive Completed

The U.S. soaring community has been represented internationally for
over 50 years by the pilots, crews and managers of our Soaring Teams.
This proud tradition has been cataloged in the pages of Soaring
magazine since Paul MacCready first competed in 1950 at the 3rd World
Gliding Championships held in Sweden. The Team Archive, now online,
includes the actual championship articles digitally scanned from the
original Soaring magazines. Team members, champions, logos and patches
are represented.

Many of today's best pilots found motivation in these accounts written
by the likes of Ralph Barnaby, Joe Lincoln, Doug Lamont, Paul Schweizer
and Chuck O'Mahony. For the first time you can read about the team
pilots, fly the tasks, suffer the set backs and savor the victories for
the over fifty year history of U.S. Teams. Some files are large and may
be slow to load without a fast connection to the Internet. See the
online team archive here...
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_archive.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 12:47 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

John,

I just finished reading the 1960 - 8th World Gliding Championships, W.
Germany ... good reading .... and great work on the archives which
provides easy online access to US world competition history. You guys
have also done a wonderful job on the whole SSA Soaring Teams section
of the site ... thanks.

Ken Kochanski (KK)

Old January 24th 05, 12:49 AM
John Seaborn

Ken,

Thank you for your comments. The 1960 US Team article is a classic. One
of the things I like about the article, written by Paul Schweizer, are
all the great images of the ground breaking gliders like the Zefir 2,
Phoenix and Dick Schreder's HP-8. The team photo is priceless.

John Seaborn (A8)

Old January 24th 05, 04:29 PM
Mike the Strike

Absolutely fascinating!

As a ten-year old, I witnessed gliders from the 1954 World's flying
over my nearby home in Derbyshire and this piqued my interest in
soaring. It's a real eye-opener to read the first-hand accounts.

Also interesting to read the accounts of team flying, I wonder how long
ago the USA stopped doing this and I wonder if we lost something as a
result?

Mike

ASW 20 WA

Old January 24th 05, 05:24 PM
Dave Martin

The club in Derbyshire is still going strong, I also
saw the gliders flying over the club all those years
ago and became hooked - I am now the Chairman of the
club and it is still fascinating.

Dave Martin
Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding Club UK
(71 years old, not me the club)

Old January 27th 05, 05:23 AM

Great work John.
Some great reading here and some excellent old images

Al