Goldfish

Old March 5th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Goldfish

Jack wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:

Is the water pressure on a fish at 18,000' different from that at sea
level?

Half.

No, that's only true for air. Water is (generally speaking) not
compressible and what matters, is the water above you, not the air
pressure at the air/water interface.

Tony V.
Old March 5th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tony Verhulst wrote:

No, that's only true for air. Water is (generally speaking) not
compressible and what matters, is the water above you, not the air
pressure at the air/water interface.

And what matters in the atmosphere? The air above you.

You don't think it's all additive?

The noncompressibility of water has no bearing on the question.

Jack
Old March 5th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And what matters in the atmosphere? The air above you.

You don't think it's all additive?

Sure, but the effects of air pressure are second order, if that.

Tony
Old March 5th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tony Verhulst wrote:

And what matters in the atmosphere? The air above you.

You don't think it's all additive?

Sure, but the effects of air pressure are second order, if that.

Wunderbar! Then there is absolutely no reason why the fish would be
worse off at altitude, unless you are worried about gasses in the water
leaving faster and relegating the poor widdle fishies to a less
oxygenated environment.

Jack
Old March 5th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And what matters in the atmosphere? The air above you.

You don't think it's all additive?

Sure, but the effects of air pressure are second order, if that.

Since this is soo off topic, this will be my last post on the subject
(we can carry on the conversation via email).

I apologize in advance for the non metric units.

If you're 14 feet under water (1 atmosphere of pressure, and you rise to
7 feet, the pressure on your body will be reduced by 50%. It takes you
18000 ft of air altitude change to achieve the same percentage. If you
are at the bottom of a 14 foot deep tank of water that gets lifted to
18000MSL, the pressure on your body is not reduced by 50% - not even
close to it.

Tony V
Old March 5th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tony Verhulst wrote:

If you're 14 feet under water (1 atmosphere of pressure, and you rise to
7 feet, the pressure on your body will be reduced by 50%. It takes you
18000 ft of air altitude change to achieve the same percentage. If you
are at the bottom of a 14 foot deep tank of water that gets lifted to
18000MSL, the pressure on your body is not reduced by 50% - not even
close to it.

You are overkilling this deeply on-topic discussion of the effects of
altitude on goldfish, Tony, so running away won't get you off the hook.

We are discussing tiny fishes, gold, that spend their lives in a
fishbowl which might be a foot deep. Going to altitude in a glider while
in a gallon baggy of water will not change their fate, no matter the
deeply felt concerns of sundry PETA-people.

Even now the hand-wringers are girding themselves for their next crusade
against those of us who enjoy the occasional salad.

Mein Gott! Can't you hear the olives screaming?

Jack

(I know, winter has gone on too long.)
Old March 5th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

(I know, winter has gone on too long.)

Tell me about it :-)

On topic, my club is scheduled to start operations on Saturday April 1,
or when mud season ends - often a week or two later.

Tony V.
Old March 7th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 20:24 03 March 2006, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
I can't begin to describe how inappropriate it is to
use a creature like
this for your own pleasure.

Do you think the fish will have no pain when you subject
them to atmospheric
pressure way below that to which they have evolved?

Chris

Probably no more uncomfy for the fish than the airhose
blast the pet shop uses to keep the baggie inflated
when you purchase the critters. Always made my ears
feel funny just to watch...

'Jim Culp' wrote in message

It was discovered recently
that taking of goldish
for glider rides
gives very splendid topic of conversation at the field
during the day, and in the bar or on the field drinking
locations in the even after flying.

Further, in two seaters it is easier to get females
to ride with a pilot when asked to fly as a crewmember,
in crew-role; whereupon she would hold the little
fishies
in clear fishbag to do her duty for the pleasure of
the fish.

Women enjoy live creature care. Dont know why, but
they do.

Prepare with a clear plastic bag with a pint or two
of water and several gold fishies;

that gives the woman a proper
Sense Of Purpose
at the airfield
and
while she is aboard
with you being the Master Airman,
in your natural fearless commanding role. .

We did this in south Mississippi but the only fish
we could get our hands on in the rush of the time
get the gliders ready to fly that day was a catfish
out of a muddy ditch, and we had to use large plastic
bag.

Only problem was we had to fly overgrossed
due to the only woman available to fly with me was
overlygrossed in and of herself.

Lawdy Lawdy Miss Claudy,
you dont know whatcha do to me. .

Be of good heart.

Jim Culp USA
GatorCity Florida
where it is 84F today,
with blue sky and cumulus
and migrating Sandhill Cranes going north wheelin
around on thermals and moving on back to V formation
as they turn north again and reform the
Vs pointed north. Beautiful sounds as they chortle.

They make plenty of beautiful noise as they climb
and
glide.