Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old September 9th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage foraircraft weight

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

For me, I have disposable contacts. Taking them out pretty much means
throwing them away as they don't store well (I have the extended wear
lenses that I leave in for a week).

OK, that's fair. Its an inconvenience, and a money choice, but I gather you
*could* switch to glasses for the flight if necessary. In ref to Emily's
comment re prescriptions---- couldn't you have your doctor write a scrip for
eye drops or lens solution? And, would that get the solutions through
security?

And my vision is better with the contacts than with the stupid small lenses
in my glasses.

That's your choice. Get larger lenses. I wear simple glasses, basically
readers, but I also hate the small lenses currently in fashion, so I select
slightly larger frames.

Old September 9th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
For me, I have disposable contacts. Taking them out pretty much means
throwing them away as they don't store well (I have the extended wear
lenses that I leave in for a week).

OK, that's fair. Its an inconvenience, and a money choice, but I gather you
*could* switch to glasses for the flight if necessary.

Well, no, actually. Where would he get another pair? From his
suitcase, which the airline is sure to lose? I've checked luggage twice
in the past 15 years, and the first time the airline sent it to the
wrong country and the second, the TSA stole a bottle of prescribed
narcotic painkillers out of it. Like I'll trust them with my health
again...and as much as you don't want to admit it, eyesight IS health.
Plus, I kind of need it for my job.

In ref to Emily's
comment re prescriptions---- couldn't you have your doctor write a scrip for
eye drops or lens solution? And, would that get the solutions through
security?

Yes, for prescription drops. Lens solution, thankfully, is allowed in
quantities less than 4 ounces. Actually, all liquid medications are now
allowed in quantities less than 4 ounces. This does not, however,

And my vision is better with the contacts than with the stupid small lenses
in my glasses.

That's your choice. Get larger lenses. I wear simple glasses, basically
readers, but I also hate the small lenses currently in fashion, so I select
slightly larger frames.

For me, if I get larger lenses, the distortion is too bad for me to see
anything. My ophthalmologist has flat out told me that he will not
allow me to wear large lenses because he doesn't think it's safe for me
to drive in them. So how can I wear them on a plane, check my contacts,
and risk the airline or TSA losing/stealing them? I'd be non-functional
at my destination. I wouldn't be able to drive, and I certainly
wouldn't be able to do the inspection part of my job at all.

And frankly, it's very disappointing to hear a pilot siding with the TSA
in this. The simple fact is, this is unreasonable rule. You sound like
my coworker....when I complained about this at work and she overheard
me, her response was, "Oh, so you'd rather be able to take contact
solution on board and have the plane blow up than be inconvenienced and
safe?" It's that mentality that is very dangerous.
Old September 9th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

For me, I have disposable contacts. Taking them out pretty much means
throwing them away as they don't store well (I have the extended wear
lenses that I leave in for a week).

OK, that's fair. Its an inconvenience, and a money choice, but I gather you
*could* switch to glasses for the flight if necessary.

Do you want to reimburse me for the lenses?

In ref to Emily's
comment re prescriptions---- couldn't you have your doctor write a scrip for
eye drops or lens solution? And, would that get the solutions through
security?

I believe that a small amount of solution (e.g., 1.5 oz drops) can get through
security now.

And my vision is better with the contacts than with the stupid small lenses
in my glasses.

That's your choice. Get larger lenses.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to spend big bucks to get bigger glasses because
some "security" moron thinks saline is a security risk? get real.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 10th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Emily, you'll note that I responded to your post seperately, above. Now
you're responding irately to the points I made to Bob, as if they were
directed to you.

As for your comment about "siding with the TSA" (whatever the hell that
means), -- well, I can't respond to that as it has no rational basis. I
asked a question about the physical ability to switch to glasses from
contact lenses for longer flights. Not whether it would be convenient, or
cheap, or expensive, or fashionable. Merely if it were possible, and if
not, then why not. Now I stand accused of treason against the entire pilot
population. Did I get off track somewhere? Was I out the day they changed
the subject?

Old September 10th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

OK, that's fair. Its an inconvenience, and a money choice, but I gather
you
*could* switch to glasses for the flight if necessary.

Do you want to reimburse me for the lenses?

sigh You and Emily go well together. Focus, Bob. Cost has nothing to do
with it. I asked if it were physically possible to switch to glasses for
longer flights. That's all.

And my vision is better with the contacts than with the stupid small
lenses
in my glasses.

That's your choice. Get larger lenses.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to spend big bucks to get bigger glasses
because
some "security" moron thinks saline is a security risk? get real.

Why is it ridiculous? Your choice of "stupid small lenses" now forces you
to stay with contacts in order to maintain adequate vision, I gather. So
the real answer, if you chose to answer the question that was asked, appears
to be something along the lines of .... 'Yes, I could switch, but these
stupid small glasses I picked because they are fashionable really don't work
worth a crap, and I don't want to spend the money to get glasses that would
actually help me see.'

Old September 10th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Because I can't drive or navigate an unfamiliar airport in glasses.

Why not?

Because my eyesight is not correctable to 20/20 with glasses.

What type of correction do you require?

Old September 10th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"John Gaquin" wrote:

OK, that's fair. Its an inconvenience, and a money choice, but I gather
you
*could* switch to glasses for the flight if necessary.

Do you want to reimburse me for the lenses?

sigh You and Emily go well together. Focus, Bob. Cost has nothing to do
with it. I asked if it were physically possible to switch to glasses for
longer flights. That's all.

Focus yourself (no pun). You didn't merely ask if it was physically possible.
And I maintain that switching to glassess is NOT necessary.

And my vision is better with the contacts than with the stupid small
lenses
in my glasses.

That's your choice. Get larger lenses.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to spend big bucks to get bigger glasses
because
some "security" moron thinks saline is a security risk? get real.

Why is it ridiculous?

Because the cost is not justified.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 10th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
Emily, you'll note that I responded to your post seperately, above. Now
you're responding irately to the points I made to Bob, as if they were
directed to you.

As for your comment about "siding with the TSA" (whatever the hell that
means), -- well, I can't respond to that as it has no rational basis. I
asked a question about the physical ability to switch to glasses from
contact lenses for longer flights.

And I told you that it was not possible. Did you ever consider that not
being able to see makes an evacuation from an airliner virtually
impossible? Why would I want to risk my life like that? I wear low
heels and no nylons when I fly, why would I want to wear glasses and
risk not being able to evacuate? Or risk getting fired when I can't do
my job when I get where I'm going? Or not being able to drive the
rental car?

Besides, you see taking contacts out on the plane and throwing them away
as a solution. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

The whole thing is simply wrong.

Not whether it would be convenient, or
cheap, or expensive, or fashionable. Merely if it were possible, and if
not, then why not. Now I stand accused of treason against the entire pilot
population.

No, just the population of people who are sick of being treated like
criminals. I should NOT have to justify my use of a medical device to
you, the TSA, or anyone else.

Fortunately, it's a moot point since the TSA allows contact solution to
be carried on again. At least someone has a little bit of common sense.
Old September 10th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

John Gaquin wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message
in my glasses.
That's your choice. Get larger lenses.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to spend big bucks to get bigger glasses
because
some "security" moron thinks saline is a security risk? get real.

Why is it ridiculous? Your choice of "stupid small lenses"

For some of us, small lenses are not a choice.

Old September 10th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Emily" wrote in message

And I told you that it was not possible.

To which I responded succinctly "... Well, that's a good reason. I'm not
up on lens technology. I didn't realize such a circumstance could exist..."

All your subsequent ranting has been a misdirected digression, irrelevant to
the main question.