Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old September 11th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Default Lost luggage (was Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage foraircraft weight)

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message news:PLgNg.19619

....Aside from the inevitable lost (ie ... missed connection) bag going
through Philadelphia, I've never had a bag broken into or had anything
stolen.

Your experience matches mine, Jay. Not counting crew time, I and my family
have travelled occasionally over the past 25 years or more, plus in the
early-mid 70s I spent 3 years continuously on the road (well, except for 3
weeks). In all that time I (we) have had a few explainable misconnects, but
no actual losses, and nothing stolen.

Now if US Airways makes good on the rumor to take all domestic ops back to
Pittsburgh so that I can avoid Philly altogether, life would be really
good.

I hadn't heard that. Interesting. So, Allegheny back to its roots, eh? I
wonder if there are still any old Piedmont folks around USAir, and how they
might feel about that.

Old September 11th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
I fly about once a month. I've checked bags twice in the past fifteen
years (that's right, I was barely a teenager when I stopped checking
bags).

So yes, every time I have checked bags (twice), they have lost my luggage
or stolen something out of it. One loss due to the airline and one theft
due to the TSA.

You must be seriously "snake bit."

I fly 16-20 times a month (and have done so for the better part of 10 years
now) and always have to check a bag. Aside from the inevitable lost (ie ...
missed connection) bag going through Philadelphia, I've never had a bag
broken into or had anything stolen.

Oh, the bag wasn't broken into. I came home from a trip with a sprained
ankle a few months ago. Because of the sprained ankled, I'd decided to
check the carryon. Got home, was in pain, went into the suitcase to
grab the Vicodin, which was packed right on top...surprise, no Vicodin,
but a letter from the TSA saying my bag had been opened and searched.
So yeah. Snake bit.